Just ordered a new carry rig... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a new carry rig...

KiloBravo
05-22-2011, 20:14
I wanted to post this here since there are folks in the carry issues forum that always complain about the weight of what they have.on their person from day to day. Since most here carry a nice heavy duty belt, I figured most here might get a chuckle.

I just ordered a Streamlight TLR-1 for my G17 and an IWB light capable holster from a new custom make named Crown Holsters. They both should be here in a week.

I still plan on carrying my trusty old surefire G2 every day as well, but like the options a pistol mounted light might give me. I just made a duty sized pistol even heavier and bulkier to carry. :supergrin: It will still be a featherweight compared to the old full sized steel framed 1911 I used to carry.

collim1
05-22-2011, 20:32
I hope it works for you.

I am dying to be able to carry my P220 with light attached, but I have given up. I still carry my very old Surefire E2E

KiloBravo
05-22-2011, 20:52
I hope it works for you.

I am dying to be able to carry my P220 with light attached, but I have given up. I still carry my very old Surefire E2E

Thanks. I think I will love the set up to be honest. A 220 with mounted light sure would look sick. :cool:

collim1
05-22-2011, 21:01
I have tried alot of guns over the years and for some reason this gun shoots and feels the best for me. The only gun that even comes close is my late '60's SW model 10 revolver.

I would love to carry this gun on duty, but am required by directives to carry a P226. The P220 being single stack, really fits my hand much better. I also prefer the recoil of the .45acp to the .40sw, just my preference.

And yes it does look sick:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/collim1/DSC02256.jpg

I am not a good photographer, but it is a nice setup.

denn1911
05-22-2011, 21:16
Your Streamlight and IWB holster should serve you well. Off-duty, I carry a G21SF or a G17 and an x300 is attached in an OWB holster. The tiny bit of bulk and weight is so small, I don't even notice. In my opinion, there are definite advantages to carrying with a light attached. A Surefire E1B handheld light is always with me.

denn1911
05-22-2011, 21:17
Oh, I almost forgot. The Sig P220 with attached light looks bad@$$!!

collim1
05-22-2011, 21:33
Oh, I almost forgot. The Sig P220 with attached light looks bad@$$!!

Thanks, this was taken just after I bought it. Whenever I decide I want a new gun I buy a box of ammo a week for a few months prior to purchasing the gun. I try to buy a wide variety of ammo to really test the weapon for preferences.

I had just really run the gun through the ringer when that picture was taken hence the dull finish and obvious powder residue. I start with the gun properly lubed and like to a shoot a large number of rounds without cleaning to convince me it is reliable.

This gun has proven to be a real trooper. It is by far my favorite pistol. I have a 1911 and prefer the Sig to it just because of the better reliability and how much better I shoot it.

collim1
05-22-2011, 21:38
Just realized I will probably catch some flak for comparing my P220 to a 1911.

My only 1911 is a Springer GI. It is has been a fun gun, but less than reliable. The use of a gun grease as opposed to oil, and Wilson 47d mags has much improved the reliability, but it is still not my favorite gun.

It stovepipes or fails to go into battery pretty regularly. You can forget feeding Gold-Dots (which are my duty round, and required for off-duty guns), it just will not feed them.

denn1911
05-22-2011, 21:43
Just realized I will probably catch some flak for comparing my P220 to a 1911.

You should post that in the 1911 sub-forum...hahaha. Just kidding, that wouldn't go over well. :supergrin: Be safe, brother.

KiloBravo
05-23-2011, 19:16
Your Streamlight and IWB holster should serve you well. Off-duty, I carry a G21SF or a G17 and an x300 is attached in an OWB holster. The tiny bit of bulk and weight is so small, I don't even notice. In my opinion, there are definite advantages to carrying with a light attached. A Surefire E1B handheld light is always with me.

Thanks. I agree totally about the added advantages for not giving much in return. I placed the order for my holster and the light today. I should have both in about a week or so.

CAcop
05-23-2011, 19:33
Just realized I will probably catch some flak for comparing my P220 to a 1911..

Not at all from me. I like my P220R so much there are times I want to carry it instead of my 1911. Sometimes. Two great guns.