Burris fastfire II, aimpoint c3 or eotech 512 for my carbine? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Burris fastfire II, aimpoint c3 or eotech 512 for my carbine?

ncvarmint
05-23-2011, 08:14
Hello all,
I am getting ready to purchase an optic for my 14.5 carbine upper i built. And had my mind set on $490 or less. So i have the eotech 512 for $400 shipped, ot the aimpoint C3 with a adm 68h mount for $490 shipped, or i even thought about going with the burris fastfire II with the new Burris AR-F3 Flattop Fast Fire Mount for about $300 shipped.
The burris is the most tempting because of the price, but i know you get what you pay for. I have had a eotech 512 before, and liked it, but was thinking about trying a aimpoint , but would hate to spend all that money and not like it.

Burris mount link http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=447960

Fastfire II link http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=151224

Aimpoint link http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAPC3ADMCombo&name=Aimpoint+C3+2moa+w%2f+ADM+68H+mount&groupid=61

TimP
05-23-2011, 08:46
aimpoint
aimpoint
aimpoint

BlutoBlutarsky
05-23-2011, 08:50
Aimpoint PRO

djegators
05-23-2011, 08:59
My choice would be Aimpoint.

faawrenchbndr
05-23-2011, 09:18
An Aimpoint is my choice

BBJones
05-23-2011, 09:51
Aimpoint. Built to last.

CU4X4N
05-23-2011, 10:24
Eotech.

(I prefer the 65 MOA circle w/ 1 MOA dot)

mjkeat
05-23-2011, 10:58
Have you watched the DD torture test video? Aimpoint.

crusader4x
05-23-2011, 12:01
+1 to Aimpoint. I have an Aimpoint M4 and love it BUT, if I were building my rifle today, I'd take a serious look at the Aimpoint PRO.

micdude
05-23-2011, 13:08
+1 to Aimpoint. I have an Aimpoint M4 and love it BUT, if I were building my rifle today, I'd take a serious look at the Aimpoint PRO.

Whats that +4 or +5 for Aimpoint Pro comes with mount and is only 410.00

fuzzy03cls
05-23-2011, 13:52
Even I say the AP. And I hate them. I run 512's. If you want to try the AP I'm sure you can sell it if it doesn't work for you. My AP is nice & all, but for my eyes it's easier to use the Eotech. And it's faster to use as well.

M&P15T
05-23-2011, 14:44
I'd say it depends on what your application is. I currently have an Eotech on my AR, but if I was shopping today, I would give the Burris Fast Fire II a serious look for SD/HD applications.

I'd skip the hooded mount and just get a riser mount, but that's me.

bullittmcqueen
05-23-2011, 15:24
Aimpoint far outshines the others.

MrMurphy
05-23-2011, 16:45
No contest. Aimpoint C3 or the Pro.

05-23-2011, 16:47
OP, are you starting to see a pattern here?:supergrin:

Aimpoint.

mvician
05-23-2011, 17:03
AimPoint

Turn it on, leave it on.
Change the batteries on your birthday even though they will last for years of constant "ON"

jolly roger
05-23-2011, 17:30
Aimpoint M3 2 MOA dot on mine. Love it.

WoodenPlank
05-23-2011, 17:51
Aimpoint PRO. Best deal in a quality red dot right now.

ncvarmint
05-24-2011, 07:07
Thanks for all the reply's, the only thing that worry's me about the aimpoint is i feel like it would be looking through a tunnel or something, the eotech seems to have more Field of veiw. Is the aimpoint really that much better than the eotech? Is the eotech reliable for a range, hunting , defense gun.

thanks agian

fuzzy03cls
05-24-2011, 07:25
Thanks for all the reply's, the only thing that worry's me about the aimpoint is i feel like it would be looking through a tunnel or something, the eotech seems to have more Field of veiw. Is the aimpoint really that much better than the eotech? Is the eotech reliable for a range, hunting , defense gun.

thanks agian
This is why I hate the AP. My eyes do not like looking through tubes. The Eotech FOV is so much better for my eyes. And yes it's reliable. At least my 3 512's have been. You'll get various opinions on that.
The AP is a great built sight & why I haven't sold mine. I can use it if I had too.
Remember your comparing a advanced holographic sight with a basic redot with less complex electronics. Of course the AP will have better battery life.
It's going to boil down to what you can effectively shoot better with. You already had a Eotech, which is why I suggested trying the AP.

mjkeat
05-24-2011, 08:29
When shooting both eyes open I have never felt like I was looking down a tube. Now playing video games I get that feeling w/ an AP and prefer to use an EoTech :)

Maybe you should find someone w/ an AP and give it a try.

PlasticGuy
05-24-2011, 08:49

thanks agian
Buy an Aimpoint.

Keep both eyes open, and the dot just magically sits on your target. There is no "looking through a tunnel" problem at all. We have M2's on our rifles at work. They take a huge amount of abuse and are left on at all times. We never have problems with them. The one on my personal Benelli M4 has been flawless also.

While I like the circle dot reticle of the EoTech, it is not as durable as the Aimpoint and has a pathetic battery life. My EoTech failed, and you don't have to look hard on the forums to find other guys who have had problems with them. While they have a lot of potential, I don't think they are fully mature technology yet.

JASV.17
05-24-2011, 10:28
My take, keeping in mind I'm pretty much a newb with this platform only owning and shooting for a little over a year.

Aimpoint: No doubt in doing research, you'll see they're preferred. Mostly for their ruggedness and battery life. I've never shot with one, but my brother had a Comp M4 that I handled on his rifle. It just wasn't for me with the single red-dot. I didn't get any of the real (tube) effect people speak of. Ok, there was a little, but not much of a deal breaker. The deal breaker for me was the single dot. I think I also remember the dot getting washed out in bright sun, and also sort of reflecting in the "tube" at times. Could just have been me.

EoTech: If you're going this route, consider an XPS flavor. Smaller package, better battery life and placement over other. Anyways, if you do some reading (check lightfighter, m4carbine and arf) no doubt you'll hear of EoTech failures. However, keep in mind the models. I went with EoTech XPS-2.0, and the reason being, it's fast for me. Real fast. With astigmatism and cross-eyed dominance, it's no issue. Both eyes open, I can still pick up the recticle and get on target fast. Battery life is not a concern for me, I don't need to be able to leave it on for years. Would it be nice? Yes. Is it faster? No doubt. But for it's role in my life (plink and HD), a second to hit a button isn't an issue.

The XPS will turn itself off after 9 hours to conserve battery life. When low, the recticle will also flash, alerting you it's time for fresh juice.

EoTech are rugged too, and scary men use them as well in bad places.

The choice I think is your recticle preference. But again, if going Eo, look at the XPS. If Aimpoint, then the PRO. I'm not a fan of the QRP (I think that's what they call it) mount, notably the knob, but Larue makes a mount that you could always pick-up at a later time (or just get the package at once).

ETA:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=534

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=37

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=26

MrMurphy
05-24-2011, 15:43
The XPS still has battery life issues.

The H-1/T-1 have essentially no tube to stare through, but having stared through an M2 for hours at a time for 3 years in all weather conditions ranging from hail, ice and rain through sandstorms..... you don't even notice it's there. Only ever had 'washout' staring into a desert sunrise and ANY optic would have that issue.

Spiffums
05-24-2011, 16:31
aimpoint
aimpoint
aimpoint

Hrmm I agree with this post.

durian00
05-24-2011, 17:29
Being a 511 and 512 owner and having recently purchased a M2, I would not hesitate to say Aimpoint.

crusader4x
05-24-2011, 17:29
With both eyes open, I have no tube issue with my Aimpoint. Heck, I don't even have to open the "target end" lens cover.

ghostwn
05-24-2011, 18:23
I went with Aimpoint T1 from La Rue. The set up is cheaper buying through them then from other online stores. There customer service is great and you actual talk to a person on questions that you have.

ncvarmint
05-25-2011, 07:02
Thanks guys,
On the aimpoint is the C3 a good sight, or should i get a ml2, ml3, i would really like to get the sight and mount under $500 , but will spend more for a better sight.
What is so great abut the aimpoint H1 sight?
Does the eotech have issues with not staying zeroed?
thanks

trevor

bullittmcqueen
05-25-2011, 07:44
The c3 is an excellent sight and from what I understand only differs from its big brother m2, m3 in battery life and depth of submersion in water. If you arent concerned about water depth (like most people) then it will be a cost effective, absolutely awesome way to get into an Aimpoint.

BTW, the c3 can be had from primary arms for around $360. Pick up a Larue Lt150 for $115 from BCM, or pickup a used aimpoint QRP for around $20 on the EE (i've got one i would almost give away).

OR, as stated multiple times before, the aimpoint PRO is the newest and best thing going right now. Optic and mount for $400. good luck finding one right now though.

keep in mind, the difference between an m2, ml2 or m3, ml3 is night vision capability (m2 is NV ready) and most people do not need this capability. That and MOA size are the only differences. They are all rugged, high quality optics which the military employ on a daily basis.

bullittmcqueen
05-25-2011, 07:46
Thanks guys,
On the aimpoint is the C3 a good sight, or should i get a ml2, ml3, i would really like to get the sight and mount under $500 , but will spend more for a better sight.
What is so great abut the aimpoint H1 sight?
Does the eotech have issues with not staying zeroed?
thanks

trevor

I have had multiple users of Eotechs tell me that the screws which are used to tighten the unit down onto the rail are rather flimsy and come loose easily, causing zero issues. May not be the case for everyone, but it has been enough to discourage me from using an Eotech. IMO, Aimpoint is the easy choice.

durian00
05-25-2011, 08:18
EOTech 511 and 512 user here. Sometimes, you have to cinch them down. No problems for me with the optics holding zero. The 512 was pretty heavy and takes up some real-estate. The 511 has horrible battery life and a funky N battery that one cannot find that easily. They work though.

Given that experience, Aimpoint battery life is phenomenal. As an alternative to the C3, many others mentioned the Aimpoint Pro package that includes a mount (Aimpoint announced this at SHOT 2011 and it's available on the market now at places like Rainier Arms and Palmetto State Armory). There are better mounts than stock like LaRue and ADM that are quick detach.

fuzzy03cls
05-25-2011, 09:22
Keep in mind....
The Eotech 511 N battery version has been discontinued for 2+ years now
Battery drain problem in other models have been fixed
Any reported problem of turn off on recoil has been fixed for well over 3 years now
Loss of zero is not a problem
A little blue lock-tight on the thumb screw solves any issue of it backing off
The XPS series are the latest models & have been problem free

A lot of internet opinions out there & what's actually fact differs from those.

durian00
05-25-2011, 09:29
Keep in mind....
The Eotech 511 N battery version has been discontinued for 2+ years now
Battery drain problem in other models have been fixed

This is true but as a legacy 511 owner, I still have to buy extra N batteries. Not disparaging EOTech and feel compelled to keep it given my investment in it. My 511 still works and holds zero.

micdude
05-25-2011, 15:10
Just saw ****** is selling the Aimpoint PRO until 5/31 for $360 DELIVERED. Just wanted to pass on the info... use the code "MDS" in the checkout.

** 10% OFF All Products Memorial Day SALE ** Use " MDS " As Your Coupon Code. Ends 05/31/11.

You can't beat that :faint:

http://www.******tactical.com/aipariop.html

bullittmcqueen
05-25-2011, 17:50
Just saw ****** is selling the Aimpoint PRO until 5/31 for $360 DELIVERED. Just wanted to pass on the info... use the code "MDS" in the checkout.

** 10% OFF All Products Memorial Day SALE ** Use " MDS " As Your Coupon Code. Ends 05/31/11.

You can't beat that :faint:

http://www.******tactical.com/aipariop.html

unfortunately on that site, LEO and .mil only.

ncvarmint
05-26-2011, 07:21
Maybe i should just build another ar-15 and then i can get an aimpoint and a eotech and be happy.

trevor

boomhower
05-26-2011, 07:34
I went through this same thought process a few months ago. I had decided on a EOTECH from opticsplanet with the side buttons. I had made this decision based on the recticle and "tube" effect from Aimpoints. Then Aimpoint came out with the Pro. I got in on a group buy and got it for a killer deal. I have no tube effect and no trouble picking up the dot. The battery life is nice, I can leave it on and just change the battery every couple years. For my use that is a very very nice feature. I replaced the mount with an ADM lower third and am in love.

You can't really go wrong either way, both of them are nice optics. If you do get the EOTECH take a look at the opmod from optics planet, it moves the buttons to the side for easier access.

ncvarmint
05-30-2011, 06:58
Okay guys,
I have narrowed it down to these,
Aimpoint H1 $570 shipped with mount
Aimpoint T1 $616 shipped with mount
Aimpoint c3 $468 shipped with mount
Eotech 512 $395 shipped with mount
I am liking the H1 and T1 , but they are high and i could use the saving from the c3 or eotech for mags and ammo.
thanks and plan to order in the next few days

trevor

mjkeat
05-30-2011, 10:47
Okay guys,
I have narrowed it down to these,
Aimpoint H1 $570 shipped with mount
Aimpoint T1 $616 shipped with mount
Aimpoint c3 $468 shipped with mount
Eotech 512 $395 shipped with mount
I am liking the H1 and T1 , but they are high and i could use the saving from the c3 or eotech for mags and ammo.
thanks and plan to order in the next few days

trevor

Trevor,

The H1 is an great optic and well worth the extra money. They are light and extremely durable. I went w/ the H1 over the T1 because it was less expensive and I didn't need the extra features such as NV. And the way I loook at it its much harder to come up w/ $500+ than it is to purchase a mag here and there at a later date.

bullittmcqueen
05-30-2011, 10:52
Trevor,

The H1 is an great optic and well worth the extra money. They are light and extremely durable. I went w/ the H1 over the T1 because it was less expensive and I didn't need the extra features such as NV. And the way I loook at it its much harder to come up w/ $500+ than it is to purchase a mag here and there at a later date.

Agreed. Spend what you have to and get the optic you want. Grab a mag or two here and there on payday (thats what I do, 2 pmags every payday) and before you know it you'll have a nice stash.

my vote out of those is the H-1 or C3

mjkeat
05-30-2011, 11:18
Agreed. Spend what you have to and get the optic you want. Grab a mag or two here and there on payday (thats what I do, 2 pmags every payday) and before you know it you'll have a nice stash.

my vote out of those is the H-1 or C3

Thats a real good plan.

njl
05-30-2011, 12:24
The XPS still has battery life issues.

This really pisses me off. I've owned 2 generations of Bushnell Holosights, really like their reticle, so a year or so ago, I finally upgraded to the "real thing" and bought an XPS 2-0. I've used it only a couple of times. I took that AR to the range recently, and it was doing the blinking reticle battery warning already. These 123 batteries are supposed to have a 10+ year usable shelf life...so why's the battery in an optic that's been turned off all but maybe a couple hours for the past year dying already? WTH?

According to Eotech:

Average battery life at brightness level 12 is roughly 600 hours, 3X battery life of N cell sights.

I'd be surprised if I've got more than 5 hours use on this battery so far.

ncvarmint
05-30-2011, 13:22
So i am taking eotech out, i am leaning pretty heavy towards the c3 because it is $100 cheaper. But the H1 is really nice also.
trevor

WoodenPlank
05-30-2011, 13:33
So i am taking eotech out, i am leaning pretty heavy towards the c3 because it is $100 cheaper. But the H1 is really nice also.
trevor

Instead of the Comp M3, look at the Aimpoint PRO. Even less expensive, but keep the legendary Aimpoint reliability and durability, and battery life.

ghostman1960
05-30-2011, 13:34
Aimpoint

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF3068.jpg

njl
05-30-2011, 16:17
Instead of the Comp M3, look at the Aimpoint PRO. Even less expensive, but keep the legendary Aimpoint reliability and durability, and battery life.

Sales of the PRO seem to be restricted to LE/Military.

ncvarmint
05-30-2011, 16:18
Noone has the pro in stock and i am wanting to get a sight in the next few days
trevorInstead of the Comp M3, look at the Aimpoint PRO. Even less expensive, but keep the legendary Aimpoint reliability and durability, and battery life.

mjkeat
05-30-2011, 19:10
trevor

Find someone that has them all and shoot their ARs. Id be willing to be a H1 you'll wish you spent the extra $100 ;)

JK-linux
05-30-2011, 19:32

fuzzy03cls
05-31-2011, 07:26
If your interested, Sale on the Eotech 512. Use lithium AA batteries & they last a LONG time.
$399.95 & free shipping
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XEOT512&name=EOTech+512+Holographic+Weapon+Sight&groupid=84

WoodenPlank
06-01-2011, 17:25
Sales of the PRO seem to be restricted to LE/Military.

I've heard that some online vendors will let you type in anything for "Agency/Company Name" and sell you the Aimpoint PRO. It's not a law, just a corporate policy that prohibits sales. Apparently, some +P+ ammunition says LEO only, but it's not anything enforceable or sanctionable.

Bingo. There's no legal restrictions on the PRO, just Aimpoint current policy.

Noone has the pro in stock and i am wanting to get a sight in the next few days
trevor

Aimpoint PRO on PSA for $410 (http://palmettostatearmory.com/1814.php)

njl
06-02-2011, 07:40
I emailed Eotech complaining that my barely used XPS2-0 was doing the low battery warning after 1.5 years in the safe. The response was that the circuitry uses a small amount of power, even when the sight is off, and that I shouldn't actually expect more than 6 months per battery.

Now I'm really wishing I'd tried ordering the Aimpoint Pro from Botac during their 10% off sale. I guess the next time I see them doing a 10% off code, I'll give it a try.

In the mean time, I guess I should take off my Magpul MOE stock and put back the CAA one that has the multiple 123 battery storage compartment :(

Keeperofthedew
06-02-2011, 10:19
The Aimpoint R1 is the same as the H1 except for finish (silver vs black).
And price.
I just got an R1 for $350 shipped from wholesalehunter dot com
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=46749
Then picked up a DD riser for $65.

IMO it's the best deal going on optics right now.

Mayhem like Me
06-02-2011, 19:57
AIMpoint

Feanor
06-02-2011, 21:18
I like em both, however if forced to pick one over the other, I'd take the eotech. I much prefer it's HUD, I wear glasses and the HUD on the eotech is superior to the dot on the aimpoint, it's that simple.

agtman
06-03-2011, 09:00
Hello all,
I am getting ready to purchase an optic for my 14.5 carbine upper i built. And had my mind set on $490 or less. So i have the eotech 512 for $400 shipped, ot the aimpoint C3 with a adm 68h mount for $490 shipped, or i even thought about going with the burris fastfire II with the new Burris AR-F3 Flattop Fast Fire Mount for about $300 shipped.
The burris is the most tempting because of the price, but i know you get what you pay for. I have had a eotech 512 before, and liked it, but was thinking about trying a aimpoint , but would hate to spend all that money and not like it.

Burris mount link http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=447960

Fastfire II link http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=151224

Aimpoint link http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAPC3ADMCombo&name=Aimpoint+C3+2moa+w%2f+ADM+68H+mount&groupid=61

Just FYI, but I tried a Burris FF II and it went T.U. on the fourth mag. I was still trying to get the FF zero-ed at 50yds, but it wouldn't maintain the same POI.

Others may report a more positive experience with their FF II, but I'd bite the bullet and spend more money on a T1/H1.

FWIW, my opinion ...

GSSF17
06-03-2011, 16:59
Buy an Aimpoint.

Keep both eyes open, and the dot just magically sits on your target. There is no "looking through a tunnel" problem at all.

This. Great advice, and very true.

DerekL
06-03-2011, 18:40
I love that I have a big ring to put around targets and a small dot IMO best of both worlds Eotech!

Krimlin
06-03-2011, 20:27
I just changed the battery on my Aimpoint M3 after being on for like 4 years.

Still shoots as true as the first day I zero'd it in.

Aimpoint for sure

K1tt3n5
06-05-2011, 13:52
Aimpoint. I have an ml3 and love it.