Supreme Court Orders As many as 48,000 California Inmates Onto The Streets! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court Orders As many as 48,000 California Inmates Onto The Streets!

ULVER
05-24-2011, 17:30
What a nice looking group of prisoners. This will be a chance to seek a new, law-abiding future. :upeyes:

Any guesses how many will be right back in the tank, within a year>?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/sc-dc-0524-court-prisons-web-20110523,0,2337401.story

CAcop
05-24-2011, 17:46
They won't be back in the tank after a year. That's the problem.

I'm going to start carrying 10 rounders in a quad pouch.

If it gets real bad I change over to a Delta Elite.

razdog76
05-24-2011, 17:52
Certainly there are many that could be housed in a surplus GI tents, surrounded with a series of perimeter fences, fairly inexpensively.

I might add, that according to the tourist television commercials the weather is nice, tents do not sustain much damage in an earthquake, and can be moved to avoid any uncontained fires.

A6Gator
05-24-2011, 18:00
CACop, this is like job security for you and Lawman. :supergrin: It'll be overtime out the wazoo!

On a serious note, I think the Supremes gooned this one. Scalia is right on this one. Besides his concerns about bad things happening and Robert's concerns about judges ordering prisoners released, it looks to me like the 10th Amendment took a face shot too.

Vigilant
05-24-2011, 18:24
What's the use in even commenting? It's par for the course. Until California dumps their resiident Liberal majority, this trend will continue. Things will continue to go downhill. Innocent blood will continue to be spilled due to an inept government. This is yet another disgrace. How long will it be until they manage to arrange the turds in DC to bail them out, with "Federal" money? In other words, OUR money.

Patchman
05-24-2011, 18:29
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ordered California on Monday to release tens of thousands of its prisoners to relieve overcrowding, saying that "needless suffering and death" had resulted from putting too many inmates into facilities that cannot hold them in decent conditions.

As this is now the law of the land and a standard all prisons must meet or else release their inmates, it'll give all the mall ninjas and CCW warriors more opportunities to realize their dreams. :)

So is there going to be a boom for privately run prisons? Or a boom in construction of state prisons and more hiring?

Vigilant
05-24-2011, 18:56
As this is now the law of the land and a standard all prisons must meet or else release their inmates, it'll give all the mall ninjas and CCW warriors more opportunities to realize their dreams. :)

So is there going to be a boom for privately run prisons? Or a boom in construction of state prisons and more hiring?

I say, we need more prisons in the worst sort of way, for the next 50 years at least. Look at what y'awl have to deal with on the street: Catch and release. We need to get these people off the streets, and, among other things, keep them from reproducing. And work the CRAP out of them. We should not have to support them. Make a profit off their stinking butts, to help offset the cost of enforcement.

txleapd
05-24-2011, 19:20
I say we wall off California, and just let the criminals and nutbags have it.... Like Escape from New York/LA style....

For all you good guys liing there, I really feel for you. Please get out while you can.

fastbolt
05-24-2011, 20:01
It may interesting to see what happens to the inmate populations at the county jail level over the next couple of years.

Absorbing an increase in some types of state prisoners in county jails is apparently already causing some local county governments to look very closely at how they're going to be able to manage their available funding and budget allocations for public safety.

Perhaps the money saved at the state level will have to be spent at the county level as time passes.

Where would the money come from for new state prisons?

How about the funding for the "truly rehabilitative programs that lower recidivism rates and create safer communities"?

We've already seen some concern voiced over the continuing cutbacks of positions in city & county policing services due to the economy, haven't we?

Will there be an increase in work-related injuries for the remaining numbers of public safety folks? How about disability retirements?

I haven't kept up on the statistics of lost LE jobs since about '09, but back then I thought I'd read that CA was only behind FL in the number of positions lost to budget cuts.

I don't have any of the answers, BTW.

Newcop761
05-24-2011, 20:30
Between releasing 48K felons onto the streets of California and non-revocable parole y'all should order a couple cases of 5.56 each!

Er...they made that illegal, didn't they?:whistling:

It's going to be a bumpy ride...

Trigger Finger
05-24-2011, 21:17
I heard about this too. California, at least LA county, has been releasing "low risk" prisoners for about 3 years. I have read about people serving 1 week on a 6 or 8 month sentence. No deterrence their!!

Tell me, what would happen if California said "NO".
If Ca said "we are not releasing this amount of convicted criminals into society. You are causing us to endanger innocent lives. give us a better solution!!!"

What would happen, would Washington D.C. stop all funding for CA. Would the National Guard be called in to enforce this stupid ruling?

Why don't The government and CA get together and build more and bigger prisons or ship the criminals into other states or come up with something people can live with. Just saying "release them" is just as crazy as CA saying "no" :steamed:
Come up with a better solution for crying out loud!

ateamer
05-24-2011, 21:21
The prisoners actually have a pretty decent standard of living. Free food, free medical and dental care that they don't pay a cent for, free education, free exercise facilities, free TV. Maybe if those smartass judges didn't live in mansions in gated neighborhoods and with special security protection they wouldn't be so quick to turn them all loose.

TBO
05-24-2011, 21:24
Thread on this in the Political Issues forum: :scared:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344765

fattboyzz
05-24-2011, 21:32
what are thinking ? ;(

OR ARE THEY ? !!!

cowboywannabe
05-24-2011, 21:56
why does new jersey have all the nuclear reactors and california have all the lawyers?

new jersey got first choice.

Hack
05-25-2011, 08:03
Well, I see the possibility of more coming into be housed in federal facilities. I don't care for it as we are crowded as well, even with building more facilities. Then there are some newer facilities that are built in areas where staffing is a challenge.

@A6Gator: concerning Amendment X to the US Constitution, that is nothing new in the prison systems. I suppose it could be worse. I do like what we did in Missouri when it got over crowded. That was use those tents, and it worked until we got a new facility or two.

Newcop761
05-25-2011, 09:24
I have an idea for how they could free some bed space in San Quentin...

http://stupidguesttricks.com/images/smilies/mf_electricchair.gifhttp://stupidguesttricks.com/images/smilies/Guillotine_anim.gifhttp://stupidguesttricks.com/images/smilies/hanged.gif

fastbolt
05-25-2011, 11:10
... or ship the criminals into other states ...

Didn't this already come up and was stopped by the courts in CA?

Morris
05-25-2011, 12:12
Thread on this in the Political Issues forum:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1344765

You made me look. There is a serious mad hatter there . . .

Trigger Finger
05-25-2011, 14:00
Didn't this already come up and was stopped by the courts in CA?

Yes it did. And the Prison Guards union was against it also but it should be looked at again IMHO.

razdog76
05-25-2011, 21:06
Thread on this in the Political Issues forum: :scared:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344765

I'll see your :scared:, and raise you a :scared:.

NotAMonte86
05-26-2011, 20:05
"Needless suffering and death"

Isn't that what put those idiots behind bars in the first place? Causing needless suffering and death upon the citizens of CA?

Newcop761
05-26-2011, 21:09
What really gets me pissed off is that you have to WORK to get a prison sentence. So much probation, double secret probation, cts...

Rohniss
05-26-2011, 22:02
Hey, that's what everyone (the public, libtardarians, etc.) wants right? Offenders released and massive budget cuts/RIF's for the police? Well they got half of their wish...

Hope they enjoy it.

packsaddle
05-26-2011, 22:29
So just release them in the front yards of the judges that voted for this.

Whatever happened to real men with real solutions?