G30 load [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G30 load

outdoorsman44
05-25-2011, 12:46
Hey Mas,

I have a G30 and am currently using 230 gr Ranger T as my carry load. I was wondering if you think that the +p version of the Ranger T would be better because of the shorter bbl of the G30?

Also, I am running 180gr HST as my carry load for my G27. I tested 165 and 180 gr Ranger T through it, but the 180 gr HST was my final choice because I was more accurate with it than the Ranger T loads. I know you have stated that the 165gr Ranger T has been performing very well, but how is the 180 gr HST performing in real world scenarios? Do you think it's just a jello star like some say, or has it worked well in real world scenarios?

Thanks so much for your help, you are a great asset to GlockTalk!

Mas Ayoob
05-25-2011, 19:54
Outdoorsman, faster bullets make HUGE sense in a short barrel .45, IF they are "conventional, old school copper jacketed lead" in construction. When you get into today's "high tech" hollow points, such as the Ranger-T, that's not necessarily the case: THESE bullets are designed to expand even with lower velocities that come from shorter barrels.

We all agree that placement in rapid fire under less-than-ideal circumstances trumps issues such as velocity. In mild-kicking calibers like 9mm, going faster isn't much of a problem. In small .45s, +P recoil gets a little more in the way of placing the rapid shots in those poor circumstances.

Personally,l I carry standard pressure Winchester Ranger-T 230 grain in my Glock 30 pistols. Your mileage may vary.

Best bet is to shoot a bunch of each type of ammo in your carry G30, and decide for yourself where the best balance of extra feet per second versus relative controllability lies, FOR YOU.

Best,
Mas

outdoorsman44
05-25-2011, 20:54
Mas,

Thanks so much for your reply! I totally agree that with the improved design of the hollow points these days, velocity is not as important as it was in the past. I'd much rather stay with the standard pressure 230 gr Ranger T in my G30, and the fact that you carry that same load is all the reassurance I need to stay with it.

A quick question about the .40 Ranger T and HST. I know you really like the 165gr Ranger T, but how do you feel about the 180 gr HST out of a G27? Sorry to ask another question, you just know so much, and your opinion is highly regarded.