Best Glock day and night sight setup EVER..IMHO [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Glock day and night sight setup EVER..IMHO

muad
05-25-2011, 12:59
I wanted to share this a while back, but last fall I upgraded the sights finally on my G23C. I have used trijicons and glock night sights, and decided I liked the Glock models better.

I then fell in love with Ameriglo sights, and put together the ultimate sight setup for day and night:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/muad_dib1982/g23c_sights1.jpg

I know, they aren't lined up the best; :tongueout:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/muad_dib1982/g23c_sights2.jpg

Glock rear Night sight with Ameriglo "ProGlow" front sight post. They work GREAT outside, and nice and bright at night.

Thoughts?

vr95gt
05-25-2011, 13:07
Would like to see night pics but, overall, that's a great daytime setup.

Rail Driver
05-25-2011, 13:13
If it were me I'd be using the pro-glow red front sight but a ghost ring rear sight (ameriglo makes those too, I have one on order)

JBP55
05-25-2011, 13:16
I prefer the Ameriglo rear NS with this front sight.
Too much white distraction on the rear Glock NS.

muad
05-25-2011, 13:16
If it were me I'd be using the pro-glow red front sight but a ghost ring rear sight (ameriglo makes those too, I have one on order)

I like the Ghost rear sight too, but it looks to big for CC. I had some adjustable Mepros on my G27, and they bugged the crap out of me as they caught on everything.

I wound't mind trying some on a "range" or training only gun (hoping to add a G22 or G35 in the near future).

Mixednuts
05-25-2011, 13:19
Have you seen Trijicons new HD sights? They look nice and I have been considering getting a set for a while.

muad
05-25-2011, 13:23
Have you seen Trijicons new HD sights? They look nice and I have been considering getting a set for a while.

No I haven't, Link???

The main reason I love these is due to the Orange ring on the front sight post. I've also used their non night sight, orange painted front post.

GRT45
05-25-2011, 13:31
muad, I really like the way your excellent photographs highlight the great visibility of the AmeriGlo ProGlo front sight. You will also see the front sight referred to as the Hackathorn, or Hack sight, on AmeriGlo's web site.

I prefer the Ameriglo rear NS with this front sight.
Too much white distraction on the rear Glock NS.

JBP55, amen to your comment.

For other readers, see the photo below and excellent review of the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/i-dot) night sights (includes Hack front sight) written by GT member eremos:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/mrpinkbullets/IMG-20110516-00026a.jpg

Ameriglo I-Dot Pro, with the Hack front sight. Slightly higher than the stock sights, but they will shoot to point of aim if you order the set together. Blacked-out rear with single small tritium dot (Heinie-style) with NO outline, large front dot with BRIGHT red outline. For daytime use, the bright red front dot is impossible to miss...it's like a laser. Fastest acquisition of any pistol sights I've ever seen. The rear dot is not outlined, and it more or less disappears in daylight. For low-light shooting, you just use it like the Heinie Straight Eights: front dot on top of rear dot. I find it faster and more precise than a three-dot setup.

The front of the rear sight is also squared off so you can use it to rack the slide against a table, belt, boot, etc. You may or may not need this capability, but I never understood the Novak-type "no snag" ramped rear sights. How could you possibly snag the front edge of your rear sight anyway? It's the rear of the sight that will snag, and there's nothing you can really do about that.

Regardless of price, these are my favorite all-around sights for a practical handgun. Perfect balance between competition precision and defensive simplicity. And for what they cost (less than Trijicons), it's a no-brainer.

The AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro MSRP is $89 and AmeriGlo gives a 10% discount when ordered on their web site using Promo Code: GLOCKTALK For comparison, the Trijicon HD (Hard Duty) sight pair has an MSRP of $149-$159 depending on the model of Glock.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii251/UnPkg/GL-203.jpg

fgrimm
05-25-2011, 13:33
Nice set up, but I would STRONGLY recommend you NOT use it for carry as compensated guns don't shine in that respect. Muzzle blast/powder blow back at contact ranges, flash that steals night vision etc... However compensated is nice, especially for range games and follow-up shots in a controlled environment. In a fast flowing/dynamic, perhaps rolling around on the ground and fighting for your life environment, I'll take a non-comped gun any day.

txgunguy
05-25-2011, 13:37
Nice set up, but I would STRONGLY recommend you NOT use it for carry as compensated guns don't shine in that respect. Muzzle blast/powder blow back at contact ranges, flash that steals night vision etc... However compensated is nice, especially for range games and follow-up shots in a controlled environment. In a fast flowing/dynamic, perhaps rolling around on the ground and fighting for your life environment, I'll take a non-comped gun any day.

I wish people would stop perpetuating this garbage.

fgrimm
05-25-2011, 13:39

I only speak from experience.

muad
05-25-2011, 13:47

AMEN!! I've owned this 23C for a couple years now, with hundreds of rounds down range with NO problems with blinding or burn from the ports. It is louder, but that doesn't bother me.

Now, on my 24C, I did get annoyed by the build up of powder residue on the front sight post, however that's only because of the forward facing port design. The 23C, and most all other C models from Glock feature side facing ports.

d90king
05-25-2011, 13:53
You need a little space between your rear notch and your front post if you do much shooting outside of 10yds...

I really like the front post but I prefer blank rears.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/c33ae374.jpg

DBG19
05-25-2011, 13:55
No I haven't, Link???

The main reason I love these is due to the Orange ring on the front sight post. I've also used their non night sight, orange painted front post.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=HDNS

fgrimm
05-25-2011, 13:58
AMEN!! I've owned this 23C for a couple years now, with hundreds of rounds down range with NO problems with blinding or burn from the ports. It is louder, but that doesn't bother me.

Now, on my 24C, I did get annoyed by the build up of powder residue on the front sight post, however that's only because of the forward facing port design. The 23C, and most all other C models from Glock feature side point ports.

Agreed. You have supported/validated what I said: Fine for the square range, sterile situations with rules and regs. Just not for a dynamic, free-flowing, fight for your life environment. You do not want to be pushing, shoving, guarding your gun, rolling on the floor or shooting at brail distance and pulling off a half dozen shots with a commped gun. You have a rather high likelihood of doing damage to yourself and lessoning your effectiveness in the fight.

girphoto
05-25-2011, 14:12
You need a little space between your rear notch and your front post if you do much shooting outside of 10yds...

+1, i have the same set up on my G19, G17 & G26. Black rear and Ameriglow GL-212-OR on the front.

My G34 currently has Dawson Black out Rear and Dawson FO front, but that might change.

MY G17 other photos to follow

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/girphoto/Boresight2.jpg

fgrimm
05-25-2011, 14:16

Agreed. A little space for distance..25-50 yrds. I use a Dawson set up with plain rear and F/O front on everything I own.

HAMMERHEAD
05-25-2011, 14:23
Two words: Heinie.

GRT45
05-25-2011, 14:35
d90king, that's excellent photography in your post.

I have definitely become convinced that less clutter is better for me with night sights. In principle, I much prefer a simple, wide-notch rear sight and a narrower front post. If I can have a single, unobtrusive tritium dot on the rear sight it seems good insurance to me. I'd rather have something to index front and rear sight in total darkness just in case it's needed. I figure it's better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. It's just my personal preference and I'm comfortable in training with the setup. One thing is certain, I'll never be going back to night sights with two dots on the rear sight.

JBP55
05-25-2011, 15:05
Two words: Heinie.

I prefer one word. Ameriglo. :cool:

Rail Driver
05-25-2011, 15:14
This is my current setup. They're great for daylight, however I have a set of these ( http://www.thegunsource.com/item/42355_Ameriglo_Sights__Lasers_AMER_GL125_NIGHT_STS_GR__.aspx ) that I'm waiting on shipping to replace them...

http://a1.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/122/fa7dd45a6ab6437b89981e36a8160e62/l.jpg

Sonnytoo
05-25-2011, 15:19
you need a little space between your rear notch and your front post if you do much shooting outside of 10yds...

I really like the front post but i prefer blank rears.

+1
s2

d90king
05-25-2011, 17:39
d90king, that's excellent photography in your post.

I have definitely become convinced that less clutter is better for me with night sights. In principle, I much prefer a simple, wide-notch rear sight and a narrower front post. If I can have a single, unobtrusive tritium dot on the rear sight it seems good insurance to me. I'd rather have something to index front and rear sight in total darkness just in case it's needed. I figure it's better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. It's just my personal preference and I'm comfortable in training with the setup. One thing is certain, I'll never be going back to night sights with two dots on the rear sight.

Thank you. I also prefer less clutter on my rear so that my eye is naturally drawn to my front post. It's a trade off in low light training, but either the subdued idot setup or single front post is adequate with enough training. Training is the critical component for low light shooting, as it is a far more difficult environment to fight in.

ipscshooter
05-25-2011, 18:00
muad,
For other readers, see the photo below and excellent review of the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro night sights written by GT member eremos:

The AmeriGlo I-Dot looks like a Heinie "Staight 8" he's had out for years. They added color. I've tried 3-dot night sights, even two color versions, but prefer the simplicity of "dotting the I".

I like the Heinie QWIK on my house gun, but the Ameriglo would work as well. I might have looked at them if I knew they were out.

redbrd
05-25-2011, 18:26

Have you used the ghost ring sight before? I have, seems like a cool idea but imo it isn't.

Steel Head
05-25-2011, 19:06
My fav Is a pro glo front and operator(no white outline) rear.
Makes it real easy to keep a good focus on the front sight.

muad
05-25-2011, 20:17
muad, I really like the way your excellent photographs highlight the great visibility of the AmeriGlo front sight. You will also see the front sight referred to as the Hackathorn, or Hack sight, on AmeriGlo's web site.

JBP55, amen to your comment.

For other readers, see the photo below and excellent review of the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro night sights written by GT member eremos:

COme on!!! Just when I think I'm satisfied, you guys bring me even more appealing options.

I didn't think about how "tight" the rear notch surrounds the front post. So, by having more room on the sides, this helps with accuracy on more distant targets??

I might have to try this I-Dot rear.

BTW, I did order this ProGlow or Hack front with the black serrated rear (had the non serrated one too), but could NOT get it to install with a GLock sight tool. So, that's the reason I went with the Glock rear night sight, as it simply pushed right in.

Sig Fever
05-25-2011, 20:26
On my G19 Gen3 I run the Ameriglo "ProGlo" orange/green front and the "Pro Operator" yellow rear. Best combination that I have ever used. Very quick to acquire and the Pro Operators work perfect in daylight since they do not have the white outer rings.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8509/sw212230or.jpg

GRT45
05-25-2011, 21:04
BTW, I did order this ProGlow or Hack front with the black serrated rear (had the non serrated one too), but could NOT get it to install with a GLock sight tool. So, that's the reason I went with the Glock rear night sight, as it simply pushed right in.

Sorry to read you had problems installing the rear sight. To be diplomatic, the Glock OEM rear sight tool is not the best tool for the job. Even my instructor in the Glock Armorer Course had to hold his tongue when describing the mediocre quality of the Glock tool. I used the Maryland Gun Works (MGW) rear sight tool and had no issues installing the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro rear sight. The I-Dot Pro sights really should be installed as a pair for best POA/POI results.

rjkobbeman
05-26-2011, 08:05

I installed a set on my G20 last week. So far I love them. I didn't know if I should get the Orange or Yellow front, however I went with the Orange as a quick web search showed many shooters had a slight preference to that color.

The sights look good on the gun and they glow in the dark as expected. Going from Glock's stock sights (which I hated) to these were a real pleasure.

Two things I really like: first, the rear sight is set back a little (compared to stock) which gives you a slightly longer sight raduis and two, the rear sight is designed in a way to "grab" on your clothing so you can rack the slide with one hand very easily. "Grab" may be a strong word, it isn't like it is a nuisance (it doesn't snag on anything). I think Trijicon states the latter on their website. It really does work pretty good.

JETHRO38
05-26-2011, 08:43
This is my current setup. They're great for daylight, however I have a set of these ( http://www.thegunsource.com/item/42355_Ameriglo_Sights__Lasers_AMER_GL125_NIGHT_STS_GR__.aspx ) that I'm waiting on shipping to replace them...

http://a1.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/122/fa7dd45a6ab6437b89981e36a8160e62/l.jpg

I can see usin these at range but as far as CC looks to bulky? do u carry with that setup? if so does the ring get snagged?

muad
05-26-2011, 11:35
Sorry to read you had problems installing the rear sight. To be diplomatic, the Glock OEM rear sight tool is not the best tool for the job. Even my instructor in the Glock Armorer Course had to hold his tongue when describing the mediocre quality of the Glock tool. I used the Maryland Gun Works (MGW) rear sight tool and had no issues installing the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro rear sight. The I-Dot Pro sights really should be installed as a pair for best POA/POI results.

When I called Ameriglo, thinking I had a rear sight out of spec, he kindly referred me to the same MGW tool (even offered one to me a a discounted price since I was having issues).

So, the front sight post is not the same as the Hack or ProGlow unit I have now? I thought it looked the same.

I'll have to get on their site and see what the I-Dot costs.

GRT45
05-26-2011, 12:03
So, the front sight post is not the same as the Hack or ProGlow unit I have now? I thought it looked the same.

In appearance they are the same (ProGlo=Hack), but it depends on the height of the ProGlo front sight you bought. ProGlo front sights come in two different heights (at least). Rely on the advice of AmeriGlo. They can tell you if the ProGlo front sight you have is the right height for an I-Dot rear sight if purchased separately. The I-Dot rear sight needs a taller front sight.

Nutt51
05-26-2011, 12:37
Right,

The I-Dot rear opening is .180", but needs a taller .220" front sight.

phil evans
05-26-2011, 13:05
most are xs big dot knock offs.
use big dots on xdsc and g26.

d90king
05-26-2011, 15:12
most are xs big dot knock offs.
use big dots on xdsc and g26.

Care to elaborate? Hackathorn was designing sights before XS was a company. Big dots have no notch so what exactly was copied from some of the worst sights ever designed?

I usually only see novice shooters and old people use big dots and I have seen multiple pairs ripped off at training classes due to their ineffectiveness outside of ten yards.

muad
05-26-2011, 19:27
In appearance they are the same (ProGlo=Hack), but it depends on the height of the ProGlo front sight you bought. ProGlo front sights come in two different heights (at least). Rely on the advice of AmeriGlo. They can tell you if the ProGlo front sight you have is the right height for an I-Dot rear sight if purchased separately. The I-Dot rear sight needs a taller front sight.

Well, if I have the lower front sight post, would that allow me to use a 6 O'Clock hold over center mass hold? That's how I like to setup my rifles, and if I could get my GLock shooting that way I'd be stoked.

GRT45
05-26-2011, 22:12
Well, if I have the lower front sight post, would that allow me to use a 6 O'Clock hold over center mass hold? That's how I like to setup my rifles, and if I could get my GLock shooting that way I'd be stoked.

Assume the height of your ProGlo front sight is .165" and you install the I-Dot rear sight which is designed POA=POI with a .220" front sight (difference of .055"). With the shorter .165" front sight, the POI will be 3.3 inches above POA at a range of 10 yards for a G23. POI will be 8.2 inches above POA at 25 yards. Reference: http://www.ameriglo.net/sights/calculator

You have the choice of a yellow or green tritium dot on the I-Dot rear sight. Give that some serious thought. The yellow tritium at the rear sight is definitely not as bright as green, but that's a characteristic I prefer. In near total darkness and stressful circumstances, I feel the brighter green tritium focuses attention on the front sight and can't be confused with the rear sight as it might if both were green dots of equal brightness. My objective is to get as close to a plain black rear sight in appearance as possible for daylight shooting yet still have some tritium on the rear sight. Brightness in low light may be your objective and green would be a better choice.

bob gill
05-27-2011, 05:42
Gentlemen, if you were purchasing a new Glock, 27, would you just buy the fixed sights, and add the ameriglo, or would you purchase the Glock night sights at added cost, and then substitute ameriglo? Just asking. It could save me $100 to put toward Ameriglo. Your thoughts, please. best, bobg

d90king
05-27-2011, 08:26
Gentlemen, if you were purchasing a new Glock, 27, would you just buy the fixed sights, and add the ameriglo, or would you purchase the Glock night sights at added cost, and then substitute ameriglo? Just asking. It could save me $100 to put toward Ameriglo. Your thoughts, please. best, bobg

Just buy a stock Glock with their horrible sights and then install the sights of your choice afterwards. The stock Glock night sights are awful so its a waste of money to pay for them and then turn around and rip them off to put proper sights in it. The GL 433 are only $80 and it will be money very well spent.

JBP55
05-27-2011, 09:23
Just buy a stock Glock with their horrible sights and then install the sights of your choice afterwards. The stock Glock night sights are awful so its a waste of money to pay for them and then turn around and rip them off to put proper sights in it. The GL 433 are only $80 and it will be money very well spent.

I agree.

muad
05-27-2011, 11:47
Assume the height of your ProGlo front sight is .165" and you install the I-Dot rear sight which is designed POA=POI with a .220" front sight (difference of .055"). With the shorter .165" front sight, the POI will be 3.3 inches above POA at a range of 10 yards for a G23. POI will be 8.2 inches above POA at 25 yards. Reference: http://www.ameriglo.net/sights/calculator

You have the choice of a yellow or green tritium dot on the I-Dot rear sight. Give that some serious thought. The yellow tritium at the rear sight is definitely not as bright as green, but that's a characteristic I prefer. In near total darkness and stressful circumstances, I feel the brighter green tritium focuses attention on the front sight and can't be confused with the rear sight as it might if both were green dots of equal brightness. My objective is to get as close to a plain black rear sight in appearance as possible for daylight shooting yet still have some tritium on the rear sight. Brightness in low light may be your objective and green would be a better choice.

Thanks GRT45, your input is much appreciated!!

applevalleyjoe
09-19-2011, 15:58
.....I usually only see novice shooters and old people use big dots .....

Old guys...that's me!!! :dancing::dancing::thanks:

garand4life
09-19-2011, 16:21
Has anyone put the XS Sights through their paces? I like the setup but have yet had a chance to use them.

Singlestack Wonder
09-19-2011, 18:23
Heinie Slant-Pro Straight Eight's. Anything close is a copy. :cool:

RYT 2BER
09-19-2011, 18:30
Tagged