Duck n Hide [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Duck n Hide

LilCop2002
05-25-2011, 20:16
As I go to the local PD to request an officer to work my wedding reception, the Chief of the PD asked me about my background. After I notice he hasn't made an appointment nor did he have a hat on, I mention the background briefly, at which point he asked if I was interested in reserve work. I answered that I was. He told me to come back on Monday to talk to the reserve LT.

Long story short, the LT wants me scheduled at the range for quals in June.

Oh lord...

CanIhaveGasCash
05-25-2011, 20:21
Where do you live that you would need a cop to work your wedding reception? I've never heard of that before.

Congrats on the wedding and the reserve position.

packsaddle
05-25-2011, 20:23
most southern weddings require law enforcement on site.

collim1
05-25-2011, 20:59
Its not uncommon for the venue to require that an officer be hired to protect their property while it is rented out.

I have seen alot of wedding receptions go stupid fast, and most places that host them are very nice properties.

Morris
05-25-2011, 21:01
Did at mine. Of course, we were married at Point Defiance Park in Tacoma so . . .

Congrats on the reserve slot!

collim1
05-25-2011, 21:08
A reserve slot is not a bad gig. I was one while I was fisnishing college, it got my foot in the door and helped me get a job at my current agency.

I did alot of stuff like work wedding receptions and high school sports events.

SAR
05-25-2011, 21:16
The good news is that you're hired as a reserve. The bad news is you're gonna have to work your wedding reception. :tongueout:

CJStudent
05-25-2011, 21:25
The good news is that you're hired as a reserve. The bad news is you're gonna have to work your wedding reception. :tongueout:

:rofl:

Seriously, man, congrats on the reserve gig, and condolences on the wedding!

DaBigBR
05-25-2011, 23:09
Hard to stay away, ain't it?

Around here you generally need to hire a cop (usually SO reserves) to work any event serving alcohol at a non-licensed establishment (e.g. a lot of reception halls, community centers, parks, etc)

Ajon412
05-25-2011, 23:25
most southern weddings require law enforcement on site.

Is this to keep the groom from running off???:rofl::rofl:

LilCop2002
05-26-2011, 12:49
Where do you live that you would need a cop to work your wedding reception? I've never heard of that before.

Congrats on the wedding and the reserve position.

Since I am having it at a government owned civic center and we will be serving small amounts of alcohol, I had to have a local LEO there.

Did at mine. Of course, we were married at Point Defiance Park in Tacoma so . . .

Congrats on the reserve slot!

Thanks a bunch! I need you to PM me some time. Got lots of ANG stuff to catch up on.

A reserve slot is not a bad gig. I was one while I was fisnishing college, it got my foot in the door and helped me get a job at my current agency.

I did alot of stuff like work wedding receptions and high school sports events.

I'm doing my military job and I've had the LE itch for a long time, but I never could find a reserve gig that would accept me because of my Active Duty status.

:rofl:

Seriously, man, congrats on the reserve gig, and condolences on the wedding!

I can honestly say that she is a keeper. Condolences while ribbing her, but the way that she works (Shooting, ATV Riding, cooking, education, career, and goals) are freaking awesome. I'm a lucky dude.

BTW, she's freaking Army... BLEH.

Hard to stay away, ain't it?

Around here you generally need to hire a cop (usually SO reserves) to work any event serving alcohol at a non-licensed establishment (e.g. a lot of reception halls, community centers, parks, etc)

It is hard to stay away. Since I closed my security company in late '07, my gear and skills have just been rotting in the garage. I'm excited to be able to start using them again.

That, my friend, was funny as hell.

spyd3r05
05-26-2011, 13:36
Reverse that and I have flashbacks of Smokey and the Bandit... haha

Vigilant
05-26-2011, 15:55
Point Defiance Park. One of my favorite places out that way, particularly Camp 6, the logging museum. The Lidgerwood Tower Skidder they have on display came from Weyerhaeuser's Vail camp, which my dad ran in later years. Gotta love that one big aquarium too. Plus all the small ones.

BamaTrooper
05-26-2011, 19:30
As I go to the local PD to request an officer to work my wedding reception, the Chief of the PD asked me about my background. After I notice he hasn't made an appointment nor did he have a hat on, I mention the background briefly, at which point he asked if I was interested in reserve work. I answered that I was. He told me to come back on Monday to talk to the reserve LT.

Long story short, the LT wants me scheduled at the range for quals in June.

Oh lord...

From your avatar, I see you already have the hat. You should have tried our reserves.:tongueout:

kpuscg04
05-26-2011, 20:56
\

I'm not the kind of guy to tell give condolences for a wedding. I've been married 7 years and I still think I'm a lucky guy. However....

That right there would be a deal breaker!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck, hope you like green :).

Coastie Sends

CJStudent
05-27-2011, 08:27
I can honestly say that she is a keeper. Condolences while ribbing her, but the way that she works (Shooting, ATV Riding, cooking, education, career, and goals) are freaking awesome. I'm a lucky dude.

I guess one of y'all has to wear the pants, then......:whistling:

msu_grad_121
05-27-2011, 17:39

GET OUTTA MY HEAD! :rofl: That's something would do, but I'm a total overtime whore, so it's understandable.

lawman800
05-27-2011, 17:53
I started as a reserve as did two of my friends, one who went full time a long time ago and one who went full time and now sold out to the dark side.

Oh well, can't win them all.

We don't require cops to work weddings but our guys usually rent out the church in town so we always show up when we are on duty so they get free security. Our buddies who get married out of town, always make sure to invite us (when we are off duty) and give us some type of security duty, which we are happy to perform.

LilCop2002
10-23-2011, 18:40
The first shift was completed last night.

I did 4.5 hours at the junior football league and then 3.5 hours riding patrol with 2 traffic stops,1 prisoner transfer, several miles in the car, and several hundred questions under my belt. That's all fine, but I'm so green to this all that the prisoner asked how long I had been out of academy.

How did he know I was fresh? Spit polished boots. Oh, Lord!

lawman800
10-23-2011, 18:46
I look back on my own rookie time and realized there is no question about how it was apparent that I was a rookie. The tell is the same with any job. You can tell who the rookies are by how they carry themselves and how comfortable they seem doing their job. You'll be fine. Just keep it up.

LilCop2002
10-23-2011, 19:05
The active officer that I rode with constantly complimented the officer safety, my tactics, the radio etiquette, as well as the way that I didn't get ahead of him while still maintaining the confidence and professionalism that he expected.

While I was so anxious before shift that I couldn't eat lunch, I still enjoyed the shift, learned a lot, and was surprisingly comfortable doing the job (not complacent or arrogant, more like riding a favorite bike.) I can tell that I am going to do as much as I can while I can.

Thankfully, the department and the officers that I interacted with treated me with complete respect... I know only time will tell, but I feel rather lucky right now.

Now, if I could only get the other information I need, I'll have myself pointed in the correct direction.

Jeremy, how about answering your phone?!

Patchman
10-23-2011, 19:54
The first shift was completed last night.

That's all fine, but I'm so green to this all that the prisoner asked how long I had been out of academy.

How did he know I was fresh? Spit polished boots. Oh, Lord!

It's always humbling when some mutt on the street can see right through you because he/she has enough street smarts. NEVER under-estimate those with street smarts.

LilCop2002
10-23-2011, 20:05
It's always humbling when some mutt on the street can see right through you because he/she has enough street smarts. NEVER under-estimate those with street smarts.

I know and understand exactly what you mean. Though he was bonding out and others were carrying on their business, I never turned my back on him until he was in uncle's car and out of sight.

steveksux
10-23-2011, 20:43
most southern weddings require law enforcement on site.I thought it was only in states where open carrying of a shotgun by the father of the bride was not legal...

Randy

steveksux
10-23-2011, 20:44
Oh, and congrats on the reserve gig!

Randy

steveksux
10-23-2011, 20:44
Oh, and congrats on the wedding! :tongueout::rofl:

Randy

DustyJacket
10-23-2011, 20:48
One summer in college I worked as a security guard.
Usually did 12-hour shifts at a hospital, but sometimes did a hispanic bar, and sometimes hispanic weddings.

Every single hispanic wedding reception ended in a fight.

lawman800
10-23-2011, 21:44
One summer in college I worked as a security guard.
Usually did 12-hour shifts at a hospital, but sometimes did a hispanic bar, and sometimes hispanic weddings.

Every single hispanic wedding reception ended in a fight.

Stop racisting!!!!:tongueout: