Unauthorized surveillance? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Unauthorized surveillance?

jp3975
05-26-2011, 00:03
I dont want to say where i work or who is involved...but I do security in a large area where police also work and we work with each other frequently.

Earlier this week a certain officer video tapped two of our guards walking together and sent it to the people in charge, who sent it to our regional manager who sent it to our captain who told us about it.

Basically the police officer is trying the best he can to get us in trouble...while he's on duty. I think its over a personal beef with us that wasn't our fault.

Today I was talking to another guard...not for long about our hours and a minor incident that just happened. The same officer drives by on his cart and Im pretty sure i see him take a photo of us with his phone.

I confronted him about it very respectfully and he got pretty agitated. Later i heard a maintenance person talk about how mad he was and that he said he was worried about his boss hearing about it.

So...I was wondering if its legal for him to do that sort of thing or if its at least frowned upon to video tape employees who have nothing to do with his dept and turn it in to our bosses?

I dont plan to take any action myself...im just wondering.

Morris
05-26-2011, 00:18
I have to ask: is this a business, rail yard or what?

If there is a pissing contest going on, it has to be nipped off quickly or it will go brass to brass and will not end well.

jp3975
05-26-2011, 00:25
I have to ask: is this a business, rail yard or what?

If there is a pissing contest going on, it has to be nipped off quickly or it will go brass to brass and will not end well.

Id rather not say. I really dont want to give away the location. If the location is known it wouldnt be hard to find out who the officers are there....and i dont need a bigger mess. Not that any of you would do that...but id rather not take chances. I almost didnt make this post in the first place.

Not much of a pissing match. At least not on our part or most officers. We just do our jobs and the cops enforce the law.

Any thoughts on the surveillance?

collim1
05-26-2011, 00:33
Id rather not say. I really dont want to give away the location. If the location is known it wouldnt be hard to find out who the officers are there....and i dont need a bigger mess. Not that any of you would do that...but id rather not take chances. I almost didnt make this post in the first place.

Not much of a pissing match. At least not on our part or most officers. We just do our jobs and the cops enforce the law.

Any thoughts on the surveillance?

Its definately not illegal.

Fireplug
05-26-2011, 00:52
Criminally...no violation if in public area. Personally ask your supervisor to speak with him. If that doesn't solve it then go to his supervisor.

But with that being said, if you are doing your job and following policy then you have nothing to worry about. Ignore him.

When I was a Security Officer we had a Police Officer that was pissed off because we took his extra job. He was trying the best he could to get us fired or in trouble. I was waiting to go though the Academy and the last thing I needed was him screwing things up. So the next time he came out on a shoplifting call I spoke with him, explaining that THIS is my livelyhood and how he had a fulltime job with benefits and could get another "extra job". He didn't say much but the problems stopped.

Morris
05-26-2011, 02:47
May not be illegal but what about policy?

Dragoon44
05-26-2011, 05:49
I would take it straight to the officers supervisor and ask for clarification. Ask him if part of the LEO's duties are to monitor security personnel, video tapping them and photographing them or if this is something he is doing instead of performing his assigned duties.

Bruce M
05-26-2011, 06:03
Doesn't sound illegal to me but it does sound petty and immature

blueiron
05-26-2011, 08:58
Photography in the public arena, aside from inside a residence, a private area such as restrooms/changing rooms. etc., and specified government buildings/facilities is legal.

Generally, one has no express right to visual recording privacy in public venues [when you are at work, out in public, etc.].

blueiron
05-26-2011, 09:03
A police officer has inherent and definable public interest in watching for criminal activity and monitoring the actions of people in the public arena - 'public safety'.

SAR
05-26-2011, 09:17
Are you guys mall ninjas by any chance?

Dragoon44
05-26-2011, 10:11
I just wanna know if the police officers "cart" has a police package with a electric interceptor motor.

:cool:

Newcop761
05-26-2011, 10:18
I dont want to say where i work or who is involved...but I do security in a large area where police also work and we work with each other frequently.

The same officer drives by on his cart and Im pretty sure i see him take a photo of us with his phone.

By any chance do you work in one of America’s largest indoor retail shopping areas ? :whistling:

CJStudent
05-26-2011, 11:34
Good old Gecko45.....

:rofl:

trdvet
05-26-2011, 11:38
Did the Cop say, "am I being detained?" over and over again?

x_out86
05-26-2011, 21:22
No...but they do carry a briefcase with ceramic plates inside to cover their heads if they come under fire. Oh, and they do also have those "special shoes" for climbing walls.

Oh wait....:embarassed:

Morris
05-26-2011, 21:43
And so it begins . . . :rofl:

Panzergrenadier1979
05-27-2011, 00:06

Do you guys have try-outs for the 3 man, Rapid Tactical Force, or, is a rotating position? :supergrin:

Patchman
05-27-2011, 04:14
I just wanna know if the police officers "cart" has a police package with a electric interceptor motor.

With license plate readers.

OLY-M4gery
05-27-2011, 04:51

Bigger battery, and the cupholders will fit 32 oz drink cups, standard only fits 20 oz.

scottydl
05-27-2011, 07:31
I take it that it's against the rules for 2 guards to walk together? I'm a little confused there. Regardless of what the officer is doing, just follow the rules for awhile. Video taping in public is not illegal (audio recording MAY be illegal depending on your state's eavesdropping laws), but if the dude has nothing useful to record then his time-wasting activity will eventually stop. If he keeps turning in bogus complaints and/or using his official time for non-official duties, then I assume the whole thing will eventually reflect poorly on him as well.

lawman800
05-27-2011, 17:03
Don't forget the 3 man electric golf cart units with brand new HK G36 carbines underneath the seats so they can rapidly respond to any level in the mall to deal with terrorist threats. Then the "ONE" can absorb 338 Lapua hits to his back with his ceramic plates while his super hot ex supermodel wife can set up the tactical nuclear device.

jp3975
05-28-2011, 16:22
I take it that it's against the rules for 2 guards to walk together? I'm a little confused there. Regardless of what the officer is doing, just follow the rules for awhile. Video taping in public is not illegal (audio recording MAY be illegal depending on your state's eavesdropping laws), but if the dude has nothing useful to record then his time-wasting activity will eventually stop. If he keeps turning in bogus complaints and/or using his official time for non-official duties, then I assume the whole thing will eventually reflect poorly on him as well.

I guess it looks bad for two guards to walk together on an entire shift. The capt. didnt care and just said for the guards not to walk together as much.

He's basically doing whatever he can to get people into trouble because he's mad about something. From what i can tell a lot of people dont like this guy and there have been several complaints...even from other LEO.

Not my problem anymore. I transfered out to a higher paying job. And I got an offer to do work at a chemical company...which i have to decide on by Tuesday.