Professional Gunsmith Review of SR1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Professional Gunsmith Review of SR1911

ptmccain
05-26-2011, 21:52
Read this great review by a professional gunsmith, and am passing it along here:

Well, it finally dried out enough to go to the range today. Just so happens that a friend of mine wanted to go also. He has never shot a 1911 before in his life. So I thought, well, this will be good. Let someone who is totally a novice at the 1911 have a spin at a gun to see if THEY can get it to malfunction by limp wristing, jerking, or whatever...the results were astonishing...

First off I'm going to list the bullets and or loads that were shot out of this gun. This is not necessarily the order as at times we were shooting whatever our hands could get hold of to put into the mags. I will say that the pricey self defense stuff was shot by me in an order and manner in which I have experienced it would most likely cause malfunctions. I will also mention that the SR1911 I purchased came with one seven and one eight round mag.

- 230g ball Armscorp factory load (1999ish)
- 200g Cast LSWC 5.8g Unique
- 185g Star swagged LHPWC 3.8g CLAYS
- 200 Sierra FP 6.0 W231
- 185g Zero JHP 4.1 Clays
- 185g Nosler JHP Atlanta Arms Load
- 230g Sierra HP CorBon Factory Load
- 185g Starfire HP Factory Load
- 185g (?) Winchester Silvertip HP Factory Load
- 185g Cast LSWC TZZ (old milsurp load with short button nose bullet)
- 200g Speer Gold Dot Factory Load

In all, 225 rounds were fired in about 30 minutes. In total there were 11 different loads with 10 different bullet types tried. There was not one, and I mean not even a single solitary malfunction. Not when I put it in the hands of the newbie, not when I shot the softest wad loads I use (the 185g Star LSHP 3.8 CLAYS), not when I shot it sideways, upside down, soft handed or off the bench...it just ran and ran and ran.

Now, that being said, I will be the first to admit that 225 rounds is not that many. However, putting 11 different types of ammo through it of all different nose types and o.a.l.'s is something that I have seen many other stock production, semi-custom and even custom guns choke on while trying to handle. Honestly, I was shocked...and impressed...and for those of you that really know me, you know that is pretty hard to do.

This is not to say that the potential issues I listed in the initial review are not relevant. The slide stop nose and mag catch nose are still bumping which does affect accuracy. The extractor is still mis-fit, in my opinion, as is the ejector. The slide to frame is still loose side to side and etc. What it is to say is that this gun, out of the box, functioned with 225 rounds of 11 different loads and that is a good thing.

Ejection: It was consistent with ball...6-7 feet at 5:00 from the shooter. With the self defense loads it was rather wild and all over which indicates a need, in my opinion, to tune the ejector and extractor a bit. With the soft loads it just dribbled them out of the gun and onto my feet, which is pretty normal when a gun sprung as this one was actually functions with them.

The trigger: Ah, the trigger, yes, that funny little thing that can change on a whim if you are not careful. It went from being a VERY crisp 4lbs 14oz with a slight tick from time to time at the beginning to being a looong roll of just over 4lbs by the time we were done. This is the way I would expect a trigger with .026" hammer hooks and little to no relief on the sear to feel. It actually doesn't feel bad, but it is long! And this is pretty much what I expected to happen when I shot it as I knew that the fire control parts would mate together over time.

Accuracy, well, ya. I shot it off the bench at 25 yards with both my accuracy hand loads of 185g Zero HP 4.1 CLAYS (a load that has consistently given me 10 shot groups of less than 1.5" at 50 yards out of custom built and re-built guns) and with a test load that I got from Atlanta Arms that has tested sub 1.300" 10 shot groups at 50 yards in many guns. Both targets were ten shots in wind that was about 20-25mph from left to right. The sights on this pistol need to be adjusted a bit but the groups off the rest were around 4-5". Considering the wind, as it was blowing the target and me pretty wildly, I don't think this is terribly bad and is certainly not out of line with what I have seen from other stock production guns. Although, I think that with better conditions it could shoot better. I did have one 5 shot group during a lull that went into 2.5" with the AA ammo.

Overall, I was and am impressed with this gun out of the box. I'm not going to bother shooting it another couple of hundred rounds to see if it will fail. Instead I'm going to modify the things that I feel need to be fixed and sell it as my work with this particular piece is done for now. I hope it was as educational for you as the reader as it was for me as the smith. I personally would have no hesitation in purchasing one of these Ruger SR1911's at this time to shoot, enjoy and maybe even fix up for an everyday carry around gun if I was looking for something on a budget or just wanted something that was less expensive for outdoor use. It is, in my opinion at this time, an excellent value for the money.

Thank you for reading, leaving your comments and feedback and supporting all of us smiths in what we do for a living.

Respectfully,
"Obsessibly Reliable, Accurate and Beautiful"
American Pistolsmiths Guild Member

BlayGlock
05-26-2011, 22:20
He has never shot a 1911 before in his life.

If you were a real pro you would not hang around people if such questionable character.

J/k thank you for the extensive report.

bac1023
05-27-2011, 04:16
Thanks for the info. :)

Psychman
05-27-2011, 04:50
Thanks for taking the time to write a report. I still have not got to the range to try mine out.

craig19
05-27-2011, 04:52
Thanks for the review.

Fedor
05-27-2011, 04:58
Nice review.

Quack
05-27-2011, 05:25
ptmccain (Amsdorf) isn't a gunsmith, he's a Lutheran Pastor that got pissy because he couldn't get his thumb safety out.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=317447

http://cyberbrethren.com/2011/04/12/my-vdma-1911-45-pistolan-homage-to-the-smalcaldic-league-and-the-lutheran-reformation/

is it wrong for a Lutheran to like the works of a Mormon? :animlol:

faawrenchbndr
05-27-2011, 07:24
Professional Gunsmith Review of SR1911

Could you explain this for me? :dunno:

Did you copy & post a review Joe Chambers wrote? Or, are you trying to pass this off
as a review written by yourself, a "professional gunsmith"?

okie
05-27-2011, 07:27
That's awesome, my friend:thumbsup:

Hokie1911
05-27-2011, 07:42
I'm surprised he didn't complain about the MIM slide. :dunno:

Psychman
05-27-2011, 08:55

Did you copy & post a review Joe Chambers wrote? Or, are you trying to pass this off

Interesting development. Please answer this question for us OP.

El_Ron1
05-27-2011, 09:26
Didn't Joe stomp out of here mad, or was another forum?

Hokie1911
05-27-2011, 09:28

Perhaps TOS? Never seen him on here (thankfully).

knedrgr
05-27-2011, 09:59

For his sin, how many hail mary would he have to do?

faawrenchbndr
05-27-2011, 09:59

I do not think I've ever seen a post from Chambers here, but I could have missed it.

TxGun
05-27-2011, 12:22
If you read the OP's lead sentence, it's clear he is passing on a review by Joe Chambers...one of the better young gunsmiths, IMO.

Hokie1911
05-27-2011, 12:25
If you read the OP's lead sentence, it's clear he is passing on a review by Joe Chambers...one of the better young gunsmiths, IMO.

You mean the "lead sentence" that he edited and added like an hour ago to clarify his post?

mrsurfboard
05-27-2011, 13:59

I think he made it pretty clear he is reposting it and not claiming ownership by himself.

faawrenchbndr
05-27-2011, 14:03
Nevermind,.......

CMG
05-27-2011, 16:32
Isn't Joe the one that got the smack-down by Wilson Combat for talking smack about the origin of their forgings?

ptmccain
ptmccain (Amsdorf) isn't a gunsmith, he's a Lutheran Pastor that got pissy because he couldn't get his thumb safety out.

Oh, now Ducky, you are just a bit miffed that I did not fall down and worship when you spoke over on the other forum. I guess you are used to having a lot of fan boys around? :rofl:

CMG
I think he made it pretty clear he is reposting it and not claiming ownership by himself.

Not until today, he edited his original post.

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 16:36
And, yes, of course I was reposting a review....which most people could probably figure out since his name is Joe Chambers and I'm McCain.

Good grief. Some people definitely need to lighten up, just a little bit maybe?

Come on, everyone bring it in for one of these...

:grouphug:

Quack
05-27-2011, 16:46
Oh, now Ducky, you are just a bit miffed that I did not fall down and worship when you spoke over on the other forum. I guess you are used to having a lot of fan boys around? :rofl:

no, you were not listening to what i was telling you. In the end what did you do? you followed the link i posted and was able to complete the detail strip.

UPDATE:

OK, I put it all back together again just now, then took it all down and...this time....after reading the instructions on that web site Quack sent....I got it.

The pistol is now entirely field stripped.

Nothing about the fanboy's, it's called respect, which I have none for you. It's also funny that you are a pastor, so you must have a HUGE fanboy base with your congregation and the people that read your publications.

Quack
05-27-2011, 16:47
And, yes, of course I was reposting a review....which most people could probably figure out since his name is Joe Chambers and I'm McCain.

would help if you quoted it and provided a link to the review.

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 16:52
Yes, Quack, I did the detail strip and reassembly thanks to some very good help and advice, with clear comments, from folks elsewhere. But thanks for trying. I am glad you have a group of folks who appreciate your advice though and I'm glad you've been able to help them.

:cheers:

faawrenchbndr
05-27-2011, 16:56
.....Good grief. Some people definitely need to lighten up, just a little bit maybe?

Come on, everyone bring it in for one of these...

:grouphug:

Ain't this the pot calling the kettle black?! :rofl:

Seems it was a bit different on TOS. Gotta be the first time a "Preacher" was banned there!

Your post WAS misleading, but you knew that, huh?!

limbkiller
05-27-2011, 16:58

It wasn't about falling down and worshipping it was about saying thanks to a man who was one of the 1st who tried to help you. Wether or not something helps me when I ask for help I go out of my way to say thanks. A lot of people today don't help because nobody cares wether they do or not. I would suggest the next time you are offered help tell them thanks. I'm sure that is what you say to your parishoners. You had a weak moment in my opinion we all do. Have a great holiday weekend.

Quack
05-27-2011, 17:00
Yes, Quack, I did the detail strip and reassembly thanks to some very good help and advice, with clear comments, from folks elsewhere. But thanks for trying. I am glad you have a group of folks who appreciate your advice though and I'm glad you've been able to help them. You seem wound just a *tad* too tightly. I suggest more trigger time.

don't need more trigger time, i have plenty.

Quack
05-27-2011, 17:00
Ain't this the pot calling the kettle black?! :rofl:

Seems it was a bit different on TOS. Gotta be the first time a "Preacher" was banned there!

Your post WAS misleading, but you knew that, huh?!

kinda like Judgement day on May 21...oops, make that October 21st.

faawrenchbndr
05-27-2011, 17:01
Seems by the OP's comments here and on TOS, he may be in the wrong line of "work"
Or simply he should "practice what you preach" or at least what he should be preaching.

Quack
05-27-2011, 17:02
Seems by the OP's comments here and on TOS, he may be in the wrong line of "work"
Or simply he should "practice what you preach" or at least what he should be preaching.

you think? :rofl:

faawrenchbndr
05-27-2011, 17:05
Not much more disgusting in life than a hypocritical "Man of the Cloth"

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 17:14
Anyway, about that review of the SR1911.

knedrgr
05-27-2011, 17:17

I would disagree with you. He pretty much lost creditability with me when he thought a company could cast a barrel and use it in their 1911 build.

If one proclaims himself as a gunsmith then one should know such basic info.

faawrenchbndr
05-27-2011, 17:20
Anyway, about that review of the SR1911.

I've read better reviews by "regular Joes"

Caspian17
05-27-2011, 17:20
Kned where is that post. I would like to read it.

Quack
05-27-2011, 17:24
You guys are amusing, I'll give you that. Interesting how people think "men of the cloth" are supposed to be punching bags and pansies.

Well...I'm not that kind of preacher man.

More like this:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews40/pale%20rider/large/large%20pale%20rider%20blu-ray8.jpg

this is what he originally posted.

Quack
05-27-2011, 17:25
Kned where is that post. I would like to read it.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=78337&page=1&pp=10

and a thread on here.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14694636

Jason D
05-27-2011, 17:27
Is this Joe guy the same dink that said that Kimber frames, slides, and barrels were MIM?
I still see that myth brought up once in a while.

Quack
05-27-2011, 17:28
Is this Joe guy the same dink that said that Kimber frames, slides, and barrels were MIM?

yes....

Jason D
05-27-2011, 17:29
I see it is then.

This guy has about as much credibility as president ****** bag.
Which is to say ZERO.

faawrenchbndr
05-27-2011, 17:30

I do believe it was the same Genius! :rofl:

knedrgr
05-27-2011, 17:31
Yes, Quack, I did the detail strip and reassembly thanks to some very good help and advice, with clear comments, from folks elsewhere. But thanks for trying. I am glad you have a group of folks who appreciate your advice though and I'm glad you've been able to help them.

:cheers:

LMAO!!!

Just swallow some of that pride and just say thank you, and ask for forgiveness. LOL.

How did you expect people to help you over the Internet? Come to your house and do the detail strip on your gun? You're going to have to read some directions on the net, either what people write on that thread or you can read it from the 10-8 site. So I just find it was hilarious that you got PO and didn't want to check the link Quack had posted up for you. I guess he could've copied an pasted it, in your thread on TOS, but then that would be like copyright infringement. Hummm.

Hokie1911
05-27-2011, 17:47
I'm surprised he didn't complain about the MIM slide. :dunno:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6FOL6IEpnNZh2K8PDzP556g03CaRABiSvyT-RlYW3463sVLfqdg&t=1

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 17:53
Yawn....

faawrenchbndr
05-27-2011, 18:01
Yawn....

Are you going to edit that as well?:whistling:

Hokie1911
05-27-2011, 18:03
Are you going to edit that as well?:whistling:

Apparently he hasn't figured out there's only one way to go...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QpeiDHuq_4I/TI-Y4t_3oqI/AAAAAAAAAIY/3mFMDQkV1zM/s400/dig.png

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 18:29
http://yxhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/yawning__1220901657_91071.jpg

Hokie1911
05-27-2011, 18:33
For a preacher (allegedly), you show an overwhelming lack of grace and humility. Apparently leading by example isn't something you preach, or perhaps you just don't practice what you preach. :dunno:

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 18:39
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/theatomicpunkkk/LightenUpFrancis.jpg

Jason D
05-27-2011, 18:52
It might be time to exit stage left..

Hokie1911
05-27-2011, 18:57
It might be time to exit stage left..

He is too busy being our Big Toe to realize that. :whistling:

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 19:01
Cut it out! Cut it out! Cut it out! The hell's the matter with you? Stupid! We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt. Who saw "Old Yeller?" Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end?

Hokie1911
05-27-2011, 19:08
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Jason D
05-27-2011, 19:09
Good Lord!

Ruggles
05-27-2011, 19:21
LOL I am neutral in this as I came in way late but man I would not want to be that guy! :rofl:

I would shut down my account, open a new one with a new name and start all over! :supergrin:

CMG
05-27-2011, 19:31
http://yxhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/yawning__1220901657_91071.jpg

Snapped from the pulpit?

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 19:35
I've always been kind of a pacifist. When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it."

Mr. Gekko
05-27-2011, 19:47
LOL I am neutral in this as I came in way late but man I would not want to be that guy! :rofl:

I would shut down my account, open a new one with a new name and start all over! :supergrin:

No kidding. I may have to cast aside my neutrality and join in.

I've always been kind of a pacifist. When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it."

Insipirational words there pastor. :upeyes:

Jason D
05-27-2011, 19:55
He's posting quotes from the unfunny 1981 movie Stripes.

Mr. Gekko
05-27-2011, 19:58
My bad, thanks Jason. After reading some of his other nonsense, it was hard to tell if he was serious.

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 19:59
And then depression set in.

(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083131/quotes?qt0483089)

Jason D
05-27-2011, 20:03
My bad, thanks Jason. After reading some of his other nonsense, it was hard to tell.

Most people would have quit long ago.
Using movie quotes doesn't really help make any kind of point.

It's mostly just being childish now.
To paraphrase...

His mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

...or something like that.

seanmac45
05-27-2011, 20:07
You aren't wanted here.

Just in case you haven't noticed.

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 20:11
Well, it got so that every piss-ant prairie punk who thought he could shoot a gun would ride into town to try out the Waco Kid. I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille. It got pretty gritty. I started to hear the word "draw" in my sleep. Then one day, I was just walking down the street when I heard a voice behind me say, "Reach for it, mister!" I spun around... and there I was, face-to-face with a six-year old kid. Well, I just threw my guns down and walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass. So I limped to the nearest saloon, crawled inside a whiskey bottle, and I've been there ever since.

seanmac45
05-27-2011, 20:15
He's gotta be less than twelve.

Jason D
05-27-2011, 20:17
I'd say back away from this thread without posting another movie quote, or childish photo. Come back another day and you may find people more welcoming.

This really is one of the best, most helpful forums on the Internet.
It's the people here that make this place great. Good posters stay, and cranks and trolls generally find the door hitting them on the way out.

Which will you be??

Mr. Gekko
05-27-2011, 20:17
Blazing saddles now. Dude, enough already.

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 20:19
You guys are taking all this *way* too seriously, and yourselves way too seriously.

:wow:

Jason D
05-27-2011, 20:20
He's gotta be less than twelve.

Probably.

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 20:28
I'm honored, Jason D, that you reached your 34,000th comment with that last remark. :rofl:

FLIPPER 348
05-27-2011, 20:34
You guys are taking all this *way* too seriously, and yourselves way too seriously.

Dude, look at what Forum this is!

Jason D
05-27-2011, 20:35
I don't give two squats about post counts.

ptmccain
05-27-2011, 20:47
Dude, look at what Forum this is!

The one that features "Porn Script Thread (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297248)"

Yup, serious, serious stuff.

:supergrin:

knedrgr
05-27-2011, 20:52

The one that features "Porn Script Thread (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297248)"

Yup, serious, serious stuff.

:supergrin:

And you just proof that you don't know this forum...

We joke around and make fun of the local members. But when it comes to gun information, we take it seriously. At least we don't go around proclaiming frame, slide and barrels are MIM parts... :upeyes:

And then people think it's true, and had praised him about disclosing such info. Now that's just ignorant and a fanboy.

Mrs. VR
05-28-2011, 17:12
Please don't drag disagreements from other sites to this one. Thanks.