My OC night out! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My OC night out!

Gunnut 45/454
05-27-2011, 10:54
I decided to take the wife out last night for dinner after a hard day at work for her! We went to our local Chinese food eatery. We've been there many times but tonight was a frist as far a OC there. We know the owner well as we've eaten there many times-very nice Chinese lady. I'll say right now I wasn't ocing completely as I CC'd and then took off my cover shirt as it was warm in side the place! The place was not crowded but had about 5 parties in there eating 20 folks! So as I removed my cover shirt to sit no one started screaming gun a ducking for cover - no one ran for the door, didn't notice any fainting nor panicked dialing of 911! Altough while eating I did over hear the couple seated behind me discussing it! I heard the Husbands comment's to his wife- "unless he's a convicted felon it's perfectly legal to OC!" "Maybe he doesn't have a permit" "No I'm not going to ask him":rofl: Other then this it was an enjoyable dinner. Just another day in the great state of Idaho.:supergrin:

seanmac45
05-27-2011, 11:32
Sounds like an LEO talking to his wife.

Gunnut 45/454
05-27-2011, 12:23
seanmac45
Could have been now that I think of it! They were an older couple maybe retired LEO.

mrsurfboard
05-27-2011, 14:03
No offense, but you seem way too excited. "My OC night out!" Carrying a weapon is not a game.

Daryl in Az
05-27-2011, 14:35
No offense, but you seem way too excited. "My OC night out!" Carrying a weapon is not a game.

No, it's not, but a fella should feel the way that's normal for them. He had an enjoyable night out with his wife, which is nothing to be ashamed of. He even tried something that's evidently new; also not a bad thing as long as he's legal.

I open carry much of the time, and never thought of it as a "game". It probably seems like an abnormal idea to someone in New Jersey, but it's not in some western states. In my area of the country, some folks still wear a gun like they wear boots and a hat, and without much more thought to it.

Daryl

HotRoderX
05-27-2011, 14:41

I agree OC is not a game I fully agree with that. Some people on this forum act like if you OC. Black SUVs will come pick you up and haul you off to a secret location to never be seen from again.

To me someone OCing is not a big deal period. Unless there waving the gun around or doing something unsafe I could careless how they carry there fire arm. I could see him Ocing in a Pink Hello Kitty Holster with a purple Glock and I still would not give it a second thought unless he doing something unsafe.

I think that's what the OP was trying to show was normal people don't really care to much. Out of all the people at the restaurant only 1 said anything.

Patchman
05-27-2011, 14:49
If someone is OCing in a store or restaurant and the owner/manager says "I've already included a police/FF/ambulance/first responder discount" in the bill (and the OCer is none of the above). What would the OCer do?

Take the discount and go :whistling:?
Refuse the dicount and explain why?
Report the manager/owner for potential corruption?
Complain the discount is too small?

shootindave
05-27-2011, 14:52
If someone is OCing in a store or restaurant and the owner/manager says "I've already included a police/FF/ambulance/first responder discount" in the bill (and the OCer is none of the above). What would the OCer do?

Corruption?

Patchman
05-27-2011, 14:54
Potential corruption. (Unless in locality it's not illegal to give discounts or free meals to LE/FF/etc...).

hockeyrcks9901
05-27-2011, 14:55

I'd tell them that while I appreciate the discount, I am not a LEO. And then I would thank them for offering a discount to LEOs.

And corruption? When I used to work at Wendy's, we gave public servants free meals if they were in uniform and eating inside. If they were in the drive thru they got a 50% discount.

skyboss_4evr
05-27-2011, 14:55

Oh brother! Now you have the ability to judge a person's feelings/emotions based on the use of an exclamation point?? :upeyes:

HotRoderX
05-27-2011, 14:57

I just very politely explain to them I was none of the above and that I really appreciate it but couldn't possibly except a discount.

If there pro 2a more then likely gonna get to keep my discount.

If there anti 2a then chances are there gonna be to dumb founded to do much but blink because the stereotype of a fire breathing monster was shattered.

Patchman
05-27-2011, 15:15
And corruption? When I used to work at Wendy's, we gave public servants free meals if they were in uniform and eating inside. If they were in the drive thru they got a 50% discount.

Where I'm, if the store/restaurant has policy to gave all public employees a discount (ie: Local dry cleaners. Any municipal employee with ID gets 10-percent discount), that's OK. If the store/restautant only selelctively gives discounts to, say, the traffic enforcement people who works the parking meters, that's a no-no.

Gunnut 45/454
05-27-2011, 16:59
mrsurfboard
Nope when I carry either OC/CC its not a game! Never has been, never will be! You make it out like I went around the resturant saying "here I am I have a gun" !! Nope! I walked in with the wife found our booth and sat down for dinner! Seeing that your from NO carry NJ do I here a bit of jealousy? See what real free folks can do? I do feel sorry for you there in NJ - no American should not have the right to carry!:whistling:

Patchman
Seeing this is a military town I'm sure she does an Military discount though I've never asked!

FL Airedale
05-27-2011, 17:08
I heard the Husbands comment's to his wife- "unless he's a convicted felon it's perfectly legal to OC!" "Maybe he doesn't have a permit" "No I'm not going to ask him":rofl:

This is funny! Unless you are a LEO there is no point in asking someone if they are legal to OC. If they are, it really isn't any of your business. If they aren't maybe they are a bad guy.

"Well, since you asked, I'm not even allowed to have this gun because I'm a convicted felon. Now give me your wallet and keys!"

Daryl in Az
05-27-2011, 18:19

*laughs*

Could be any of the above, depending on the person.

Personally, I'd tell them I appreciate the discount offer, but that I'm not an LEO.

Gotta say, though; in all my many years of OC, that's never happened to me.

the "What if's" can go on forever.

Daryl

Daryl in Az
05-27-2011, 18:27
This is funny! Unless you are a LEO there is no point in asking someone if they are legal to OC. If they are, it really isn't any of your business. If they aren't maybe they are a bad guy.

"Well, since you asked, I'm not even allowed to have this gun because I'm a convicted felon. Now give me your wallet and keys!"

You know, I've been OC'ing much of the time since the early-mid-1980's, and I've yet to have an LEO even approach me because of a handgun worn openly.

When on a traffic stop or some such, they don't have to ask. The information is available to them through dispatch or their computer.

I've never been asked by anyone if I was "legal" to carry a firearm.

Daryl

BailRecoveryAgent
05-27-2011, 21:05

If you ever move from NJ to the United States of America or come here on a visit you'll realize that not all states consider the carrying of a firearm in public to be equally offensive as carrying around a suitcase nuke.

Gunnut 45/454
05-27-2011, 21:35
Daryl in Az
Yea ID is pretty much the same way, I've OC'd quite a bit here and have yet to have a LEO contact because of it!

mrsurfboard
05-28-2011, 02:09
mrsurfboard
Nope when I carry either OC/CC its not a game! Never has been, never will be! You make it out like I went around the resturant saying "here I am I have a gun" !! Nope! I walked in with the wife found our booth and sat down for dinner! Seeing that your from NO carry NJ do I here a bit of jealousy? See what real free folks can do? I do feel sorry for you there in NJ - no American should not have the right to carry!:whistling:

Patchman
Seeing this is a military town I'm sure she does an Military discount though I've never asked!

I agree, not having civilian carry in NJ sucks. Fortunately, since I'm a cop, I can. Your post just came across as being way too excited for OC. Sorry if I came to the wrong conclusion.

mrsurfboard
05-28-2011, 02:10
If you ever move from NJ to the United States of America or come here on a visit you'll realize that not all states consider the carrying of a firearm in public to be equally offensive as carrying around a suitcase nuke.

Weird, my post didn't say anything like that.

jeffyjeff
05-28-2011, 13:36
the place was not crowded but had about 5 parties in there eating 20 folks!

they were eating people?!

Gunnut 45/454
05-28-2011, 15:55
mrsurfboard
Not way excited but very PRO OC! I CC most of the time but OC quite alot especially around the yard, neigborhood .:supergrin: Almost exclusively OC while hiking/camping . :supergrin:

ZRiz19C
05-29-2011, 13:11

laugh out loud

jdavionic
05-29-2011, 17:35
they were eating people?!

I bet their hands had the shakes.

jdavionic
05-29-2011, 17:37
I decided to take the wife out last night for dinner after a hard day at work for her! We went to our local Chinese food eatery. We've been there many times but tonight was a frist as far a OC there. We know the owner well as we've eaten there many times-very nice Chinese lady. I'll say right now I wasn't ocing completely as I CC'd and then took off my cover shirt as it was warm in side the place! The place was not crowded but had about 5 parties in there eating 20 folks! So as I removed my cover shirt to sit no one started screaming gun a ducking for cover - no one ran for the door, didn't notice any fainting nor panicked dialing of 911! Altough while eating I did over hear the couple seated behind me discussing it! I heard the Husbands comment's to his wife- "unless he's a convicted felon it's perfectly legal to OC!" "Maybe he doesn't have a permit" "No I'm not going to ask him":rofl: Other then this it was an enjoyable dinner. Just another day in the great state of Idaho.:supergrin:

Congratulations! The first time I tried OC, I swore everyone was staring and waiting to dial 911. Reality was, no one seemed to give a crap or notice. That's the reaction I hope for all the time.

HKLovingIT
05-29-2011, 18:54
I used to think OC "around town" was totally, well, toolish. But more and more I think, you know, if they like it, more power to 'em. It's not for me but I don't really care if other people do it, and really it's none of my business any more than it's my business to tell them how to dress, where to go or what to eat, they're a free man. It's their right and if it makes them happy and they aren't being a jackass [unsafe], then okey-dokey.

Glad you had a nice dinner with your wife.

Peace Frog
05-30-2011, 06:53

I'll take #4 followed by #1...:whistling:

:wavey: