Stag Arms Quality Review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stag Arms Quality Review

RMTactical
05-27-2011, 11:55
For those new to AR15's and wanting to know about Stag Arms.

http://www.ar15pro.net/2011/05/stag-arms-quality-review-great-value.html

Atomic Punk
05-27-2011, 13:16
not a bad summary, but what is the difference with an m4 feed ramp vs not?

RMTactical
05-27-2011, 13:30
not a bad summary, but what is the difference with an m4 feed ramp vs not?

In that link, there is a link that explains the differences between M4 feedramps and rifle feedramps.

http://www.ar15pro.net/2011/02/m4-feedramps.html

STI
05-27-2011, 14:31
I have had my Rock River almost 2 months now with an honest 1000 or so rounds a month, its ran 100% so far, since few have faith in RR I look at it real close often and all seems well. The accuracy is great with it.I am sure it will malfunction or have a part failure anytime soon, but so far so good, am I the only one who likes them?

TSAX
05-27-2011, 14:41
Stag is a good combo of quality and cost.

:50cal:

Atomic Punk
05-27-2011, 14:55
cool. thank you. i have heard the term before but had no idea. i have yet to be able to get an AR of any type.

Lee-online
05-27-2011, 15:59
Stag has upped the anti with their Plus Package. Only $100 more.

For those wanting a rifle with extra testing and also with features for the constant firing of 5.56 ammunition Stag Arms offers the Plus Package. This package includes individual Magnetic Particle (MP) and High Pressure (HP) testing of the bolt and barrel, upgraded barrel steel, and other features listed below. Available only as a complete package.

Stag Arms standard carbines (Model 1, 2, 2T, 3, 8 and their left-handed equivalents) feature:

- Carpenter 158 shot peened Bolt with black extractor spring
- Shrouded full circle AR15 bolt carrier with side staked carrier key
- 5.56 NATO chambered barrel with chrome lining, 1/9 twist, double lead lapped, and parkerized under the front sight base
- F marked front sight base with taper pins
- Double heatshield handguards
- Mil-Spec size 7000 series aluminum receiver extension with staked receiver nut (also known as castle nut)
- One (1) 30rd USGI Magazine*

In addition to our standard features listed above the Plus Package includes:

- 4150 barrel steel chrome lined
- 1/7 Twist rifling
- M4 feed ramps
- Individually MP & HP tested and marked Bolt & Barrel
- M-16 Bolt Carrier
- Heavy (H) buffer assembly
- Two (2) 30rd USGI Magazines*

http://www.stagarms.com/information.php?info_id=13

commando57
05-27-2011, 18:23
This is probably why that dude took down the chart, this would move Stag all the way to the left for hundreds less!

RMTactical
05-27-2011, 18:33
Stag has upped the anti with their Plus Package. Only $100 more.

http://www.stagarms.com/information.php?info_id=13

Yup. I make a mention at the end of my posting. However, I don't see these rifles listed on their site. They are a special order thing, and I know they have done stuff like this in the past.

zhix
05-27-2011, 18:47
So far my I don't consider my Stag to have been a "great value."
I have owned it since January but most of that time it has been at or going to/coming from the factory to be fixed.
I'm still waiting to see if they make it right, hoping third time's a charm.

Lee-online
05-27-2011, 18:47
There is a drop down box to select the option.

It is only for select complete rifles. If this was available when i purchased my M8 i would have chosen it.

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=321

zhix
05-27-2011, 18:53
Mine is an LE/SBR model, so it came with all the 'plus package' features, which is why I bought it instead of a Colt 6933; specs dont mean s#!t if (when) they don't know how to build it right and/or won't/can't fix it.

RMTactical
05-28-2011, 02:49
So far my I don't consider my Stag to have been a "great value."
I have owned it since January but most of that time it has been at or going to/coming from the factory to be fixed.
I'm still waiting to see if they make it right, hoping third time's a charm.

Sounds like you got a lemon. Your experience is not a common one, but I know that is hard to believe when you are the one that got the bad one. Also, it's no consolation.

However, I have had experience with countless Stag rifles and Stag parts. I know they make a good rifle for the money. Everyone makes a lemon once in a while.

There is a drop down box to select the option.

It is only for select complete rifles. If this was available when i purchased my M8 i would have chosen it.

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=321

Thanks for sharing. That is a new thing they have added and it's a great idea.

mixflip
05-28-2011, 10:42
When I read threads like this it almost makes me want to sell my Stag M8 and buy a plus package M8. Not for any other reason but to tell all the Stag haters that I have top tier features also.

RMTactical
05-28-2011, 11:28
When I read threads like this it almost makes me want to sell my Stag M8 and buy a plus package M8. Not for any other reason but to tell all the Stag haters that I have top tier features also.

I don't think that is necessary if your rifle works well.

zhix
05-28-2011, 12:51
It would be one thing if I got a lemon, but them not fixing it after sending it back twice, etc. is the bigger problem.
I can't get the link to work, but the thread is titled SBR Issues in this forum.

mixflip
05-28-2011, 17:18
I have noticed that many SBR's regardless of brand have issues from what I have read over the years? As they say, Eugene Stoner never intended his design to function as an SBR.

RMTactical
05-29-2011, 14:17
I have noticed that many SBR's regardless of brand have issues from what I have read over the years? As they say, Eugene Stoner never intended his design to function as an SBR.

Agreed. I don't think I will ever bother with an SBR ar15 for this reason.

AFPD118
05-29-2011, 15:05
i have Stag models 3 and 8 both run flawless, they are well made and would buy another in a heart beat.

Sometimes a issue is the ammo.

zhix
05-29-2011, 15:10
There are a lot of short-barreled ARs out there that work just fine. My Stag even works after they fixed it went back the second time (trip 3 was for other things they screwed up).
My problem is the way their customer service has handled it but I guess the Stag lovers don't believe or want to recognize that it could happen.

AFPD118
05-29-2011, 15:15
Now on M4 feed ramps, i read somewhere they are only for sustained full auto fire and can actually hurt accuracy on a semi auto, but definitely not needed for semi.

I will see if i book marked the article.

Jack Black
05-29-2011, 15:31
I would like to hear how M4 feed ramps can hurt accuracy. My take on it is that they may not be needed for semi-auto fire, but there's no reason not to have them.

AFPD118
05-29-2011, 16:49
Ok it was in a magazine; a Guns and Ammo special issue (early 2011), The Book of the AR-15 page 128.

I scanned the pages that mention the M4 Ramps,

http://keithb.frobozz.us/M4ramps.pdf

Edit: The article is by Tom Beckstrand

Jack Black
05-29-2011, 18:21
Ok it was in a magazine; a Guns and Ammo special issue (early 2011), The Book of the AR-15 page 128.

I scanned the pages that mention the M4 Ramps,

http://keithb.frobozz.us/M4ramps.pdf

Edit: The article is by Tom Beckstrand

Thanks for taking the time to scan and post that. It's an interesting theory, and I guess reasonable, but there are plenty of people out there building extremely accurate rifles with M4 feed ramps and this is the first I've heard of this theory (though I'm far from an expert). I'm guessing with all the things that need to be done right to make an AR accurate, this is pretty low on the list. Anyway, I guess until I build a real precision AR this isn't something I need to worry about.

RMTactical
05-29-2011, 18:22
There are a lot of short-barreled ARs out there that work just fine. My Stag even works after they fixed it went back the second time (trip 3 was for other things they screwed up).
My problem is the way their customer service has handled it but I guess the Stag lovers don't believe or want to recognize that it could happen.

I've used Stag's customer service a couple times. Never had anything but smooth sailing.

Care to elaborate on how their CS has been bad?

mixflip
05-29-2011, 19:08
I dont think its impossible for someone to have a bad experience with customer service. I just think its not common or an ongoing problem? If it were you would see alot more HATE specifically pointing out horrible customer service. I just havent seen it on the forums? You see other subjects of hate for Stag but rarely bad customer service.

zhix
05-29-2011, 19:22
I've used Stag's customer service a couple times. Never had anything but smooth sailing.

Care to elaborate on how their CS has been bad?

-3 trips back to factory

-didn't return my magazines which were not even the source of the problem, which I tried telling them politely

- I had to ask twice to get my mags back cause they weren't returned with the gun, then they sent me stainless ones. I told them I would like the regular aluminum GI mags they supply; CS guy insists that they don't supply SS mags, although that's exactly what they sent me.

-had to request the full auto BCG it was supposed to come with at least three times, then the one they finally gave me has defects in the steel.

That is the latest, the rest is in the thread 'SBR Issues' on about page 3 in this forum.

RMTactical
05-29-2011, 21:51
-3 trips back to factory

-didn't return my magazines which were not even the source of the problem, which I tried telling them politely

- I had to ask twice to get my mags back cause they weren't returned with the gun, then they sent me stainless ones. I told them I would like the regular aluminum GI mags they supply; CS guy insists that they don't supply SS mags, although that's exactly what they sent me.

-had to request the full auto BCG it was supposed to come with at least three times, then the one they finally gave me has defects in the steel.

That is the latest, the rest is in the thread 'SBR Issues' on about page 3 in this forum.

I'm not doubting your claims, but I do believe you are one of the exceptions. There are always exceptions. Yes, and like I said earlier, I am sure that is no consolation to you.

I still stand by my claims.

Lee-online
05-29-2011, 22:49
That sucks that you had to go through all that, i too would be upset and not recommend stag if i was in your shoes.

I sent my lower back after i discovered it was blemished. They took care of it and it has perform flawlessly with the 700 rounds i have shot through it.

am waiting on my form 1 to come back and then i will be looking for an upper. i have an open mind and haven't made any decisions on who's to get yet.

McGAP
05-30-2011, 02:00
I'm anxiously waiting for delivery of my Stag 6 upper - hoping for the best!

bisdak
05-30-2011, 10:13
I will be buying my first AR 15 soon, and being a newbie on AR-15 I will be buying a complete firearm. For the past weeks I have been leaning towards Stag model 2T. A good compromise between price and quality.

K. Foster
05-30-2011, 15:09
RM Tactical
Good review and good site!

RMTactical
05-30-2011, 21:11
RM Tactical
Good review and good site!

Thank you sir!

Wasco8
06-13-2011, 19:01
OK...I am looking for an AR15 or the SIG 556. Here is the info on what to look for for the AR15

Barrell 4150 Steel Preferred
Govt Profile
Chrome Lined Chamber and Bore
5.56 Nato Chamber
1/7 Twist
Parkerized under Front Site
M4 Feed Ramps
Magnetic Particle Tested
Stmped on Barrel " C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7"

Gas System "Mid Length"
Buffer "H" Style
Upper "A3"

Front Site Block should be "F" Marked
Make sure the Gas Key staking is Propper
Shrouded Firing Pin
M16 bolt carrier would be nice.

Other Options can help but these are the ones that willmake it reliable and less prone to malfunction.

I located this info on Officer.com. Very helpful.

dc2integra
06-13-2011, 21:28
I love my stag model 2 its been flawless.

rkwrichard
06-13-2011, 22:15
I also have a stag model 2 and it has worked without any issues..

TexasPOff
06-14-2011, 00:33
OK...I am looking for an AR15 or the SIG 556. Here is the info on what to look for for the AR15

Barrell 4150 Steel Preferred
Govt Profile
Chrome Lined Chamber and Bore
5.56 Nato Chamber
1/7 Twist
Parkerized under Front Site
M4 Feed Ramps
Magnetic Particle Tested
Stmped on Barrel " C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7"

Gas System "Mid Length"
Buffer "H" Style
Upper "A3"

Front Site Block should be "F" Marked
Make sure the Gas Key staking is Propper
Shrouded Firing Pin
M16 bolt carrier would be nice.

Other Options can help but these are the ones that willmake it reliable and less prone to malfunction.

I located this info on Officer.com. Very helpful.

That reads just like the Stag Mod2 I just recieved. I email them on Sunday night about 4 am in reference to getting setup as a dealer. They email me back Monday morning about 8 am with all my dealer info. Thursday afternoon that week I orderd my Mod 2 with 14.5 1:7 barrel. Friday the follwing week it was at my shops door. This is my second Stag, the first one was a few years back and was a build. I used just about all Stag parts, and never had an issue with it. It also did not have all the new plus package Mil Spec stuff. I am not ate up with the Mil Spec rating, but if a company has it why not get it. My Stag Mod 2 has all of the ratings you have listed above other than I have a 14.5 1:7 MP C barrel with a pinned phantom and the M16 BCG is also MP tested. There are alot of great AR companies out there, BCM, Spikes, DD, etc etc the list goes on. So far I am extremely impressed with Stag, thier customer service, delivery speed and so on. My two top goto companies are Spike's and Stag. I wanted a carbine pretty quick, not 2 or 3 months from now. Nothing against Spike's I know they are swamped over there. Stag builds almost everything in house, at least parent Company CMT does so it is easy for them to get thier builds done in a timely manner. I will be ordering a Spike's as well, but have to wait for that one.
My next days off I am gonna do a review with some pics of the Mod 2. I don't think you would go wrong with just about any quality AR out there.

Wasco8
06-14-2011, 03:52
Awesome Tex. I will have to check out the Stags. Mod 2. got it.

Nestor
06-14-2011, 04:35
Thanks. I may buy one this year.
Model 4.
Life-time warranty is something I just can't ignore.

faawrenchbndr
06-14-2011, 05:45
Great review,.....seems spot-on form what I've seen first hand!
Thanks for taking the time to post the review!

With that said, I have not bought a "factory assembled" rifle in four years.
I prefer to build mine as no manufacturer sells exactly what I want.

Wasco8
06-14-2011, 18:33
DANIEL DEFENSE DDM4 CARBINE 16" 223 30RD
CALIBER: 5.56 NATO
CAPACITY: 30
BARREL: 16"

DDM4 CARBINE
•Engineered with the tactical professional and shooting enthusiast in mind •MilSpec lower receiver w/enhanced magazine well •MilSpec w/indexing marks & A4 feed ramps •MP tested, chrome lined, 1:7 twist, M4 cold hammer forged profile barrel •A2 birdcage flash hider •MilSpec MP tested bolt, properly staked gas key •Sight: Daniel Defense A 1.5 BUIS; pinned "F" marked front sight base •MilSpec 5 position MAGPUL MOE receiver extension •A2 styling vertical grip •Custom full-latch 30' impact plastic case •DD-20000 includes: Omega X 12.0 FSP Rail™ handguard

Any first hand knowledge of this company?

faawrenchbndr
06-14-2011, 18:39
Why not start a new thread instead of throwing this one a curve ball.

Yes, I've heard of that company.

TexasPOff
06-14-2011, 19:25
Yes Daniel Defense is an excellent company I have used thier rails in the past. Great folks to deal with and thier DDAR's look and feel top shelf. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one of those up either. Although a bit more $$ than Stag, Spike's or BCM. I may look into one of those at some point as well. I may be wrong, but one thing I have heard is DD manufactures thier lowers in house. I really like companies that manufacture thier own stuff. I know it isn't a big deal, but then they know the exact quality and specifics of the parts they are using. TXPO

TexasPOff
06-14-2011, 19:29
Great review,.....seems spot-on form what I've seen first hand!
Thanks for taking the time to post the review!

With that said, I have not bought a "factory assembled" rifle in four years.
I prefer to build mine as no manufacturer sells exactly what I want.

I agree, I had to compromise a little when I ordered the Stag, but not by much. Most of the things I really don't need on this one, Rail, LPGB etc etc. I wanted this to be a KISS carbine and possibly do some patrol time to give my 6920 a rest. I can always add stuff later if I decide to get silly with it, no biggie. One more day till I'm off, I work nights currently, and 12 hours shifts to boot. I will get the review and pics up ASAP. TXPO.

K. Foster
06-14-2011, 20:01
Any first hand knowledge of this company?

They have an excellent reputation. Since this thread is about a review a member wrote on Stag, I recommend you start another discussion. You’ll get some very positive feed back.:welcome:

Wasco8
06-15-2011, 04:10
Sorry for the curve....I am looking at Stags, just saw this and never heard of the company before...

K. Foster
06-15-2011, 06:54
No problem. DD is good stuff. If you’re in the market, take a look at LMT as well.
http://www.lewismachine.net/index.php

Feanor
06-15-2011, 16:11
Mine is an LE/SBR model, so it came with all the 'plus package' features, which is why I bought it instead of a Colt 6933; specs dont mean s#!t if (when) they don't know how to build it right and/or won't/can't fix it.

I think Stag makes a decent product, I'd buy one, however I would never buy a Stag over an available Colt, ever!

sirgarreth
06-17-2011, 09:40
Thank you RMTactical, Always good to hear something good about STAG. I just purchased a STAG 2T. I know nothing about AR's and wanted to get one. From what research i have done, STAG seemed to be the best for the money. I heard a lot about building, but I need to learn the platform first.

RMTactical
06-18-2011, 12:04
Thank you RMTactical, Always good to hear something good about STAG. I just purchased a STAG 2T. I know nothing about AR's and wanted to get one. From what research i have done, STAG seemed to be the best for the money. I heard a lot about building, but I need to learn the platform first.

No problem. One of the reasons I wrote this one is because of the frequent amount of times this very question is asked. Glad to help.

Wasco8
06-19-2011, 07:06
Just read The AR-15 Volume 3. It has a section on Stag Arms. Patrick Sweeney seems to know his stuff. Has excellent information on piston/DI systems. Barrels etc. Noce read and super info. Hope it helps with you decision to purchase a Stag.

Wasco8
06-19-2011, 09:18
Are stag barrels cold hammer forged or milled?

TexasPOff
06-19-2011, 17:22
They are milled. TXPO

Rebel_James
06-19-2011, 19:30
I read an article in a magazine where the author and a friend took a couple of stock Stag carbines to a rifle school. They had to furnish their own ammo and took 10,000 rounds of Wolf ammo. They were laughed at when they arrived for their choice in weapons and ammo.

The only modification they made to the rifles was to install a Dfender D-ring on the extractor.

At the end of the class in which they’d fired almost all of the 10,000 rounds of ammo, they’d only had two malfunctions, both attributed to the ammo.

I carry a Stag for my patrol rifle. I bought my son one for his HS graduation gift. I recently bought another one from a guy that was selling it because he wanted a ‘name-brand’ S&W AR. I didn’t tell him Stag made the receivers for S&W when Smith first got into the AR market.

You can’t go wrong with a Stag!

Wasco8
06-20-2011, 04:17
Stag is a good rifle for the money. Don't know why he would trade for a S&W? The specs are not as good as a Stag. I think if there was a snake or scorpion on the reciever people would be less likely to be resisitant...lol Some are into looks.

Frog1
06-21-2011, 11:25
Stag has always done this testing in lots. That is how they qualify as a contractor. For all of you who don't understand manufacturing and variability, this will make you sleep better at night for only $100.00.

For me, I sleep well at night without spending the extra $100.00. However, I did spend $3.00 to upgrade the extractor insert and spring. It is amazing how a chart can define quality.