Need help building upper on ar [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help building upper on ar

cfec2008
05-27-2011, 17:18
hey, I just built my first lower. Took me a little while to get it together, but got it finished. Now I want to build a comple upper. I need to know where I can find the information on EVERYTHING that I need to know to do it. Also need to know what tool that i HAVE to buy. Thanks

zhix
05-27-2011, 19:13
An upper receiver vise block (assuming you have a bench vise), a torque wrench(1/2 drive in the 35-80 ft. lb. range), and barrel nut wrench/attachment for the torque wrench.

I wasted money on the Brownell's how to video, cause I assumed it would have all the proper info and procedures. While most of the info is good, their barrel-torquing procedure doesn't follow mil spec. and some other things it doesn't show you how to do without using their over-priced unneccesary tools.

faawrenchbndr
05-28-2011, 04:34
.... I want to build a comple upper. I need to know where I can find the information on EVERYTHING that I need to know to do it. Also need to know what tool that i HAVE to buy. Thanks

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

cfec2008
05-30-2011, 10:52
thanks for the help guys. Seems like I wont really be saving to much money because instead of buying a bcm upper i want to try to build a bcm upper. i could save if i bought a dpms or j&t kit, but then it wouldnt be a bcm and ive read pretty good reviews on j&t but for some reason my heart is set on bcm. its been very hard to find a bad review on their stuff.

cfec2008
05-30-2011, 10:58
An upper receiver vise block (assuming you have a bench vise), a torque wrench(1/2 drive in the 35-80 ft. lb. range), and barrel nut wrench/attachment for the torque wrench.

I wasted money on the Brownell's how to video, cause I assumed it would have all the proper info and procedures. While most of the info is good, their barrel-torquing procedure doesn't follow mil spec. and some other things it doesn't show you how to do without using their over-priced unneccesary tools.

so that pretty much sums up all the tools i will need? that doesnt sound to bad at all. I dont have a vise yet, but I will be getting one with the other tools that you mentioned. thanks a lot

zhix
05-30-2011, 11:35
You will need a 3/4" open end wrench, which you probably already have. If not, most AR combo barrel nut wrenches have a 3/4" cut for taking on/off flash hiders.
Also a pair of slip ring pliers and punch set. You probably already have those as well, but it wouldn't hurt to have extra small diameter punches since they bend/break easily and it helps to have more than one of the same size for certain tasks.

cfec2008
05-30-2011, 16:28
You will need a 3/4" open end wrench, which you probably already have. If not, most AR combo barrel nut wrenches have a 3/4" cut for taking on/off flash hiders.
Also a pair of slip ring pliers and punch set. You probably already have those as well, but it wouldn't hurt to have extra small diameter punches since they bend/break easily and it helps to have more than one of the same size for certain tasks.

Zhix...thank you so much for the info. I will definatly look around for those tools this week. btw i ordered a larue tactical bolt carrier group this morning, and a magpul ctr stock with the tube and lt spring and buffer. that alone cost me right at 300 counting shipping. Hate to spend so much money, but i want good stuff. thanks again man.

Grovenator
05-31-2011, 17:10
At the very least, get one of these. I put my first one together (every little piece) with basic hand tools, nothing AR specific.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/885/885858.jpg

cfec2008
05-31-2011, 19:21
At the very least, get one of these. I put my first one together (every little piece) with basic hand tools, nothing AR specific.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/885/885858.jpg
I will. Thanks for the help!