Completed A2 build (pics) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Completed A2 build (pics)

bmoore
05-27-2011, 18:58
Nothing crazy here just a regular 20" A2. I have loved the looks of the standard M16/AR15 for ever and thought I would build one. JD lower, DMPS upper with a DMPS LPK. Cleaned, oiled and ready for some plinking. The upper locked up to the lower very well. Granted I have not shot it yet I am impressed with how tight the DPMS was, as well as the fit and finish. Only thing I can compare to is my Smith M&P15 which is flawless in range work and coyote hunting. Peace.

JBnTX
05-27-2011, 20:17
The M16A2 or AR15A2 is the perfect example of the AR weapons system.

Forget the lazy tacticool crowd that says the 16 inch carbine is the best.

A simple AR15A2 beats all the rest hands down.

dc2integra
05-27-2011, 20:29
Nice build my friend.

Randy from Kansas
05-27-2011, 20:32
Looks real good, you have done a nice job.

bmoore
05-27-2011, 20:34
Thanks guys, this was my first build. It coulda gone smoother, but it could have been a lot worse too.

Randy from Kansas
05-27-2011, 20:36
Thanks guys, this was my first build. It coulda gone smoother, but it could have been a lot worse too.

If you don't mind me asking what gave you trouble?

bmoore
05-27-2011, 20:57
If you don't mind me asking what gave you trouble?

LOL hear you go------The front take down pin detent and spring. I was trying to use the blade of a spyderco knife to hold down the detent while inserting the takedown pin. On the second or 3rd time I remembered a youtube video I watched of a razor blade being used. Once I found a razor blade around the house that task took about 4 seconds.

Second, while driving in the bolt catch the checkered texture on the handle of the small pin punch worked its way throught the strips of gorilla tape I used to "mask" it off (I was failing to pay attention and rushing), it marred up my reciever a little. The marring was fixed higher than my expectations with a Birchwood Casey touch up pen that I had bought for such an instance. All and all the youtube videos were super helpful and it went pretty well. The magazine vise block, brass hammer and punch's really helped make it easy. I guess its like anything, the right tools are half the job. Can't wait to do another one.

bmoore
05-27-2011, 21:01
The M16A2 or AR15A2 is the perfect example of the AR weapons system.

Forget the lazy tacticool crowd that says the 16 inch carbine is the best.

A simple AR15A2 beats all the rest hands down.

I agree, I hunt coyote's with a 16" in an A2 configuration. I use it on my stands that the dogs are usually gonna come inside 75 yards on, since its just iron sights. Its small, light and handy. It will sit the coyotes down. I typically always have the AR in my lap and the 22-250 with a bipod next to me. If they bolt in close the AR is on it, if they hang up out a ways then the 22-250 shines.

nickster
05-27-2011, 21:49
Very nice! Now I'm getting the itch for one .Classic!

musicman10_1
05-27-2011, 23:04
Love it! I am building an A2 presently. I have the lower and am gathering the rest of the kit this summer. I can't wait to get it finished. The 20" A2 has a classic look that is hard to beat.

Give us a range report when you have a chance.

bcowen22001
05-27-2011, 23:15
AWESOME BUILD. I am also getting ready to build an A2 20" HBAR. I have a Double Star upper. And already have a Double Star lower dealer picked out. I may use this rifle to compete in my local range competitions. But I mainly wanted a classic ar rifle. Ive already got the tacticool weapons and wanted something more traditional.

Any suggestions on assembly of an ar rifle. I will be buying a stripped lower and probably be buying the kits to complete the lower. Any info will help.

thanks.

05-27-2011, 23:52
KISS looks great! Congrats!:cool: :thumbsup:

bmoore
05-28-2011, 10:54
AWESOME BUILD. I am also getting ready to build an A2 20" HBAR. I have a Double Star upper. And already have a Double Star lower dealer picked out. I may use this rifle to compete in my local range competitions. But I mainly wanted a classic ar rifle. Ive already got the tacticool weapons and wanted something more traditional.

Any suggestions on assembly of an ar rifle. I will be buying a stripped lower and probably be buying the kits to complete the lower. Any info will help.

thanks.

Buy a small brass mallet, magazine vise block, and a set of small punch's. I used the small gorilla tape for masking areas off that I was going to be striking with the mallet. Double layering the tape may be a good idea. Use a box cutter razor blade to hold in the front take down pin detent during installation, and make sure you cover the top with a sandwich bag; so that if the detent goes flying you do not lose it. Watch youtube videos and google images of what all the parts look like in their correct positoins.

faawrenchbndr
05-28-2011, 11:27
Great looking rifle! :thumbsup:

muddy57
05-29-2011, 21:30
Nice rifle! I have the same JD lower with dpms LPK, and RRA 20" standard A2 upper. Instead of the standard A2 stock, I installed a VLTOR EMOD.

GeorgiaGlockMan
05-30-2011, 17:17
That's a beauty.