S&W 642 Internal Photos for Lock Removal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W 642 Internal Photos for Lock Removal

TedG
05-27-2011, 21:51
I really like my 642, but I was concerned about reliablility issues after reading about instances where the internal lock jammed up and prevented firing.

I am very familiar with the internals of a standard S&W and I've been taking them apart and doing trigger jobs for 40 years. Even with that experience, I had never taken apart a "hammerless" Smith. So, before cracking my 642 open, I researched the internet for schematics or photos.

I couldn't find a single 442/642 picture of internals. There are plenty of standard S&W pictures, but none with an internal hammer.

So, I went ahead and opened the 642 only to find that the insides are exactly like any hammered Smith.... except for the internal safety.

To help anyone that finds themselves in the same boat as I was, I took some internal pictures to show what the inside of a 642 looks like.

If you decide to deactivate the internal safety, I suggest that you review various directions on the 'net. Taking the "flag" plate out is not enough. Do your homework.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/642ISremoval.jpg

The "flag" plate is noted with the nub that must be removed to deactivate the internal safety. After the nub is removed, the plate must be reinstalled in the pistol.

REMEMBER.... REMOVING THE INTERNAL SAFETY RESULTS IN THE INABILITY TO LOCK THE ACTION. BE SURE YOU HAVE NO USE FOR THE INTERNAL SAFETY BEFORE REMOVING IT. IT IS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.

dakotasdad
05-28-2011, 10:57
TedG,

That's the exact same way I "disabled" my IL. I didn't need it so out it went.

Good info for those so inclined to perform this procedure.