Grendels seen at SOCOM show [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Grendels seen at SOCOM show

eracer
05-28-2011, 06:54
A friend went to the SOCOM convention here in Tampa last week, and commented that he saw a lot of Grendels on display.

This surprises me, since the 6.8 was developed at the request of Special Forces, if memory serves.

Maybe the .mil is actively looking at the round again?

AK_Stick
05-28-2011, 07:57
the 6.8 was made by two shooters, on AMU guy, and a SF group guy. Not really at the request of the SF.

I'm sure people are always trying to market those calibers to the SF. They're more effective. The only real question, is the advance in effectiveness, enough to justify the price of going to it?

eracer
05-28-2011, 08:02
the 6.8 was made by two shooters, on AMU guy, and a SF group guy. Not really at the request of the SF.

I'm sure people are always trying to market those calibers to the SF. They're more effective. The only real question, is the advance in effectiveness, enough to justify the price of going to it?

From Wiki...

The 6.8mm SPC cartridge was designed to address the deficiencies of the terminal performance of the 5.56 NATO cartridge currently in service with the U.S. Armed Forces.<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8_mm_Remington_SPC#cite_note-3)</sup> The cartridge was the result of the Enhanced Rifle Cartridge program. Participating in the program were U.S. Special Operations soldiers, as well as armorers and other technicians from the United States Army Marksmanship Unit.

Is this not true?

faawrenchbndr
05-28-2011, 08:18
Tons of licensing issues with the 6.5 Grendel. It may never gain a ton of popularity.

eracer
05-28-2011, 08:24
Tons of licensing issues with the 6.5 Grendel. It may never gain a ton of popularity.I have two of them, and it's been an uphill struggle all the way.

Honestly, as much as I love the cartridge, I would have been a lot smarter getting a nice .308, like an OBR or an LMT MWS.

AK_Stick
05-28-2011, 09:10
From Wiki...

The 6.8mm SPC cartridge was designed to address the deficiencies of the terminal performance of the 5.56 NATO cartridge currently in service with the U.S. Armed Forces.<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8_mm_Remington_SPC#cite_note-3)</sup> The cartridge was the result of the Enhanced Rifle Cartridge program. Participating in the program were U.S. Special Operations soldiers, as well as armorers and other technicians from the United States Army Marksmanship Unit.

Is this not true?

It is, and it isn't.

They didn't say, design me a round that does x and call it the 6.8. They were looking to get a new cartridge in the ERC program. The 6.8 was only one of the rounds they designed/looked into.

The 6.8 AFAIK was designed by two guys, an AMU shooter, and a 5th SFG guy. They really liked the .277 bullet, and made a working caliber around it, and got it into the program. There were lots of calibers tested, and that included the 6mm PPC, and 6.5.

In the end, it got dropped, because while effective, a switch would be very expensive, and getting ammo would be a PITA.

eracer
05-28-2011, 09:25
It is, and it isn't.

They didn't say, design me a round that does x and call it the 6.8. They were looking to get a new cartridge in the ERC program. The 6.8 was only one of the rounds they designed/looked into.

The 6.8 AFAIK was designed by two guys, an AMU shooter, and a 5th SFG guy. They really liked the .277 bullet, and made a working caliber around it, and got it into the program. There were lots of calibers tested, and that included the 6mm PPC, and 6.5.

In the end, it got dropped, because while effective, a switch would be very expensive, and getting ammo would be a PITA.Got it. I was of the belief that SOCOM initiated the development, and enlisted the help of military procurement channels during the prototype phase.

Thanks for the info.