LMT vs DSA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LMT vs DSA

pbs357
05-28-2011, 21:12
I know, no comparison. That's what I gather from the research I've done on the boards, but I can't find negative info/reviews on the DSA uppers, or specific reasons why it couldn't/should't be trusted for HD, etc. The DSA uppers seem to get referred to as good for the range, etc while the LMTs are regarded as "fit for defense/duty." So in the 16" offerings, what would be the reason(s) an LMT upper would be worth $200 more?

This info is for my 2nd AR, but would be my first build. My first is an old BM AK/A2, which is a middy 14.5 + AK74 brake. She's 2000+rds of mostly steel cased ammo without failure, but I want to build something with a red dot style optic.

Thanks!

Bonus question: here's my gameplan so far - feel free to let me know your thoughts; am I on the right track?
$485 LMT 16" 1:7 upper
$130 LMT Bolt/BCG (or Spikes Bolt/BCG for $110)
$50 Magpul MBUS - version2
??? Lower
??? Aimpoint or Eotech

BBJones
05-28-2011, 21:31
LMT is worth far more than $200 more than a DSA upper. LMT tests every part they sell and they are built to last.

Your plan is good but since you are getting a 16" why not get a mid-length gas system? LMT does not offer them but BCM and DD (to name a couple) do.

K. Foster
05-28-2011, 21:56
I don’t have any experience with DSA but I have read some negative things about their products and service on forums. You might try M4carbine.net for more info.
I have a LMT Defender as well as other AR’s. Mine has been trouble free and I think very highly of their products. LMT conforms to all the mil spec requirements: barrel steel, HP, MPI. Everything except parkerizing under the front sight, which I consider to be minor. In a nut-shell, I consider them to be cheaper Colts. Would I pay $200 more for LMT? Yes!
Bonus Q: that sounds like a great start. Spikes or Stag lowers are good quality, usually readily available if you want something cheaper than LMT. On optics, that’s a subject in itself but you’d be fine with either.

thisaway
05-28-2011, 22:47
I have an LMT Defender 2000 w/14.5-inch barrel. As would be expected, it works very well for me. I also have a DSA upper (16-inch 1-9 barrel) with an Adams Arms piston retrofit kit on a CMMG lower. It also works very well for me.

If I were in a life-or-death situation, I would grab the LMT---its standard of quality offers me peace of mind for emergency use. But my DSA piston jobber is just fine for the practice or competition range.

micdude
05-28-2011, 23:29
LMT is worth far more than $200 more than a DSA upper. LMT tests every part they sell and they are built to last.

Your plan is good but since you are getting a 16" why not get a mid-length gas system? LMT does not offer them but BCM and DD (to name a couple) do.

Go with this not saying LMT is not top tear and bad ass but they don't have mid-length stuff DD and BCM bolth do and are also top tear.

I would do Spikes,Areo Precision,BCM blem or a PSA lower all good.
Aimpoint all the way get the Aimpoint pro 2moa 400.00 w/mount

mvician
05-29-2011, 07:40
There isn't anything wrong with a carbine length gas system.
Run a M16 BCG and a H or heavier buffer.

To the OP.........

Buy the LMT upper. Then buy a LMT lower. :supergrin:
Then put an AimPoint on it.

BBJones
05-29-2011, 08:33
There isn't anything wrong with a carbine length gas system.
Run a M16 BCG and a H or heavier buffer.

To the OP.........

Buy the LMT upper. Then buy a LMT lower. :supergrin:
Then put an AimPoint on it.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a carbine gas system, but since he is geting a 16" a mid-length would be my choice. Carbine would be my choice if 14.5" or 12.5"

mjkeat
05-29-2011, 08:34
You're rundown of parts looks good.

http://www.smartgunner.com/LMTDefenderSOPMOD.aspx has complete LMT lowers w/ SOPMOD, QD swivel, two stage trigger and free shipping for $509.

Aimpoint, but EoTech isn't to shabby either :)

StevieJ
05-29-2011, 10:13
LMT Defender Lower with SOPMOD Stock, Standard Trigger, and Ambi Selector for $470: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=l7c4

JK-linux
05-29-2011, 10:19
Goos parts list from what the interwebs say. I haven't used any of them other than the sights.

Unsolicited advice: build the lower yourself, if you haven't done one before. Invaluable learning experience and far easier to do than most will let on.

Phelptwan
05-29-2011, 12:54
I have a 16" DSA and a 16" MRP. The DSA is more accurate...

I still think the LMT is a much better rifle, and has never malfunctioned in several thousand rounds (DSA has stovepiped).

humanguerrilla
05-29-2011, 15:48
My DSA zm4 upper has been problem free and shoots well. I'm glad I got a good one and have read some horror stories at arfcom and on other forums. Read that they don't do m4 feedramps anymore. Several budget uppers I'd go with first now instead though.

Durden
05-29-2011, 23:45
I have a LMT 16" Carbine and a BCM (recent addition) middie, and I have no complaints about either, whatsoever.

I also think the Carbine vs. Mid thing is way overplayed.

Just my .02

GeorgiaGlockMan
05-30-2011, 11:53
I have an LMT MPR upper on a DSA lower.

It's my favorite rifle!

Several of my DSA lowers look better and have a better fit than my other ARs (BM, RRA, AL, Grizzly, Stag, etc).

RMTactical
05-30-2011, 17:03
There aren't nearly as many dsa uppers out there compared to lmt. You get a much better idea of what to expect with lmt.

agtman
05-31-2011, 17:49
I have an LMT MPR upper on a DSA lower.

It's my favorite rifle!

Several of my DSA lowers look better and have a better fit than my other ARs (BM, RRA, AL, Grizzly, Stag, etc).

Agree on the LMT MRP, although it wasn't clear that that's what the OP was specifying as to his LMT choice.

MRP (old pic)
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/AS-6.jpg

stopatrain
05-31-2011, 18:00
I vote for LMT!