Anybody like my new avatar? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody like my new avatar?

KiloBravo
05-29-2011, 05:39
Removed because several people here are smarter than me and suggested that I take down my original post...

DaBigBR
05-29-2011, 06:07
Honestly, I would change it back. I would not want a background investigator to think I was being presumptuous, or worse, representing myself as something that I'm not.

KiloBravo
05-29-2011, 06:16
Honestly, I would change it back. I would not want a background investigator to think I was being presumptuous, or worse, representing myself as something that I'm not.

Understood. I don't want to give that impression either. I will change it to something else. Thank you very much for the advice. That would have been a silly thing to get me DQd from the selection process.

Patchman
05-29-2011, 08:20
OMG. It's the militarization of the police!

Nothing wrong with your previous avatar. I can imagine you're excited about the future, but don't get too drawn into that life. Continue to be yourself.

KiloBravo
05-29-2011, 18:13
OMG. It's the militarization of the police!

Nothing wrong with your previous avatar. I can imagine you're excited about the future, but don't get too drawn into that life. Continue to be yourself.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I will take it to heart. I already promised myself as well as the family and fiance that I will still be me, even if this LEO career works out for me. I will not change for anybody.

Dragoon44
05-29-2011, 18:17
Get rid of that sissy glock and get a real pistol.

:rofl::rofl:

KiloBravo
05-29-2011, 18:21

That is just the picture I changed it to for the time being from what it was this morning. Since my EDC is a new Glock 17, I thought it would make a fitting avatar. :supergrin:

At least you should give me props for carrying a full sized gun day in and day out instead of a tiny pocket pistol. I even back it up with a spare mag and BUG. :tongueout:

lawman800
05-30-2011, 00:00
I have no idea what your previous avatar was.

KiloBravo
05-30-2011, 03:50
I have no idea what your previous avatar was.

I had stupidly put on a picture put up a picture of the uniform patch of the current agency that I am testing for. Until somebody pointed out that might be a had idea, and he was right. :whistling:

Patchman
05-30-2011, 04:30
I had put up a picture of the uniform patch of the current agency that I am testing for.

Oh I didn't see that one.

lawman800
05-30-2011, 13:15
I had stupidly put on a picture put up a picture of the uniform patch of the current agency that I am testing for. Until somebody pointed out that might be a had idea, and he was right. :whistling:

Yeah, that would be a bad idea. Heck, it's a bad idea even if you are with the agency unless you are one of the beloved bulletproof children and even then the politics can get you if someone wants to come after you bad enough. Trust me, I know.

KiloBravo
05-30-2011, 13:22
Yeah, that would be a bad idea. Heck, it's a bad idea even if you are with the agency unless you are one of the beloved bulletproof children and even then the politics can get you if someone wants to come after you bad enough. Trust me, I know.

I removed my OP and changed the picture. Thanks very much for the input. This is why I come to you guys for advice, because you are all much wiser then myself.

4949shooter
05-30-2011, 14:22
Yeah don't jinx yourself. I wouldn't put up anything related to PSP until you graduate the academy.

4949shooter
05-30-2011, 14:22

Put up an H&K!

lawman800
05-30-2011, 14:26
Yeah don't jinx yourself. I wouldn't put up anything related to PSP until you graduate the academy.

You kidding? Don't put it up until after hire, probation, permanency, promotion, etc. Heck, put it up when you retire. That way they can't do anything to you anymore.

Hack
05-30-2011, 16:19
I don't know how your agency will be concerning posting stuff. I don't usually post an actual patch, but I may post something similar to what I have in for my avatar currently, as an example. As you mature with the agency you ultimately get hired on with, you will have more of an idea about what is considered safe to post. And, Lawman is right: with agency/department politics if someone comes gunning at you it doesn't matter who you really are.

Patchman
05-30-2011, 16:42
Hey, if you need to throw off the bloodhounds by posting an agency patch from L.A. County :whistling:, or even an European agency, I've got plenty of patches I can photograph and send you.

lawman800
05-30-2011, 18:28
Hey, if you need to throw off the bloodhounds by posting an agency patch from L.A. County :whistling:, or even an European agency, I've got plenty of patches I can photograph and send you.

Send me one of the Swedish Polis.

Patchman
05-30-2011, 18:42
I think I have one of their T-shirts too, and will send you one if you like. I **think** the only size I have is XL (European sized XL). I need to check my inventory. I'm sure it's too large for your size 32 waist, but for me and my smooth, hard muscled, Greek god like body, it barely fits.

lawman800
05-30-2011, 18:55
I'll take it. Euro XL is smaller than our L. I wear XL in some import clothing brands and it can be tight on me, imagine that. Btw, it's a 31" waist again now that I lost 5 pounds!

Panzergrenadier1979
05-30-2011, 20:09
Our department's new policy is that we cannot post anything on the internet that could be used to identify our department , no pics of patches, cars, uniforms, training, etc.

It seems that one of our officers used his I-phone to comment on the Facebook status of a friend who is a PA state employee. This state employee is Facebook friends with a member of our township board of supervisors; thus the supervisor was able to see the comment on her own page. She noted that a township officer was on Facebook, checked the police schedule and saw that the office was on duty at the time of the posting. She sent a hate-mail to our Chief. Hilarity ensued.

So, among other things, our new internet policy also includes the new restrictions about mentioning our specific agency on-line.

KiloBravo
05-30-2011, 20:14
Our department's new policy is that we cannot post anything on the internet that could be used to identify our department , no pics of patches, cars, uniforms, training, etc.

It seems that one of our officers used his I-phone to comment on the Facebook status of a friend who is a PA state employee. This state employee is Facebook friends with a member of our township board of supervisors; thus the supervisor was able to see the comment on her own page. She noted that a township officer was on Facebook, checked the police schedule and saw that the office was on duty at the time of the posting. She sent a hate-mail to our Chief. Hilarity ensued.

So, among other things, our new internet policy also includes the new restrictions about mentioning our specific agency on-line.

That makes perfect sense. That is yet another reason why I do not have a Facebook. I would not want anything posted on there that could hurt me or my family or my potential career.

I realize now that posting a picture of the dept. Was a stupid thing to do. I was just overly excited about having made it this far, and did something dumb. I see now why that was a bad idea.

AlexHassin
05-30-2011, 20:44

Thatís actually a pretty cool idea. or make up an agency you work for. Hi I am Mr. smith and I work for the Australian bust size enforcement department.

lawman800
05-30-2011, 21:01
Thatís actually a pretty cool idea. or make up an agency you work for. Hi I am Mr. smith and I work for the Australian bust size enforcement department.

I saw that episode of Mythbusters where they tested the Logue air and the effect it has on female bust sizes. Funny stuff!

And I don't have a Facebook and don't intend to do any social networking whatsoever. Someone wants to find out about me, they can do it the old fashioned way and dig through my trash!

RyanNREMTP
05-30-2011, 22:30
I never ever post what agency I work for on the internet. The last thing I need is for me to piss off someone on the net and they contact my employer and complain.

DaBigBR
05-31-2011, 00:29

Reminds me of the coffee mug scene from "The Other Guys."