My Under Armour Chafes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My Under Armour Chafes

lsmountainman
05-29-2011, 11:38
I wore my short sleeve heat gear shirt last night and man did it chafe my pits. Is there a really good, comfortable cotton based undershirt that is a compression fit with a tight neck that will be gentle on my pits? I know...I want it all...and a mint on my pillow.

spyd3r05
05-29-2011, 11:48
its not compression tight but the starter active t's feel good they are sortof the under armor style but they feel better like 7 dollars at walmart just a thought..

Goldendog Redux
05-29-2011, 12:45
For me it is a size medium cotton t shirt.

DaBigBR
05-29-2011, 13:26
5.11 Muscle Mapping. Mesh underarms, compression fit abdomen, medium compression upper chest. I've worn them for years and love them. They're pricey though, $50 from OMB.

Patchman
05-29-2011, 14:16
Fruit of The Loom cotton V-neck. So no one will ever confuse me with a LEO from LAPD/LA County. Even though I do have have that smooth, hard, sculptured body every woman wants to touch. Just like those Greek god statutes. :)

fastbolt
05-29-2011, 14:50
I always have to wear the next larger size than I normally wear in other T-shirts when wearing an UA compression shirt. Even then, it almost seems on the verge of being too small, but I don't experience any chafing.

I've tried another brand of similar type shirt (because it was on sale at a local surplus store), buying it in my regular size, and the armpits were always a bit tight and borderline uncomfortable.

I think I have one of the 5.11 M/M T's, too (bored waiting for my partner one after in a cop shop and I came across a sale rack). I think I treated it like a UA compression T and bought it a size larger.

actionshooter10
05-29-2011, 16:07
I always have to wear the next larger size than I normally wear in other T-shorts when wearing an UA compression shirt. Even then, it almost seems on the verge of being too small, but I don't experience any chafing.

I've tried another brand of similar type shirt (because it was on sale at a local surplus store), buying it in my regular size, and the armpits were always a bit tight and borderline uncomfortable.

I think I have one of the 5.11 M/M T's, too (bored waiting for my partner one after in a cop shop and I came across a sale rack). I think I treated it like a UA compression T and bought it a size larger.

This.

Go 1-2 sizes bigger with the UA shirts. You can also turn them inside out if you're too cheap to buy the correct size. This keeps the seams from chafing.

Ask me how I know...:whistling:

lawman800
05-30-2011, 00:06
One size larger seems to do the trick for me but it also depends on the brand. The UA fits fine in the right size even if it is a bit tight but not uncomfortably so. Magnum 2 sizes larger moves around and chafes. My Nike compression shirt 1 size larger is perfect. The Blackhawk 2 sizes larger is also perfect and doesn't move around like the Magnum.

You can always dust some talcum powder around the sensitive spots to minimize friction and therefore, the chafing that comes with it.

As for a white crew neck, that is all I wear for that LA County look. Even though we are authorized to wear a black crew neck, I never got into it and don't wear the black crew like everyone else who jumped on that bandwagon. Guess I am a traditionalist, a traditionalist with chiseled pecs and biceps, that is!:whistling:

Goldendog Redux
05-30-2011, 01:53
One size larger seems to do the trick for me but it also depends on the brand. The UA fits fine in the right size even if it is a bit tight but not uncomfortably so. Magnum 2 sizes larger moves around and chafes. My Nike compression shirt 1 size larger is perfect. The Blackhawk 2 sizes larger is also perfect and doesn't move around like the Magnum.

You can always dust some talcum powder around the sensitive spots to minimize friction and therefore, the chafing that comes with it.

As for a white crew neck, that is all I wear for that LA County look. Even though we are authorized to wear a black crew neck, I never got into it and don't wear the black crew like everyone else who jumped on that bandwagon. Guess I am a traditionalist, a traditionalist with chiseled pecs and biceps, that is!:whistling:

I think the key to any operation is the powder. I actually wear a wife beater under my cotton t shirt. Prior to that nonsense however it is all about the Gold Bond upstairs and downstairs for that all day freshness. Compression shirts may be all dandy until fatboy is standing around in the locker room looking like a marshmellow tied up with fishing line.

Pre-shift powder and febreeze on the vest after shift=happy.

MF

x_out86
05-30-2011, 22:36
I wore my short sleeve heat gear shirt last night and man did it chafe my pits. Is there a really good, comfortable cotton based undershirt that is a compression fit with a tight neck that will be gentle on my pits? I know...I want it all...and a mint on my pillow.
Ask and ye shall receive...

Under Armour Fitted.... "Close cut without the squeeze" (http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/heatgear-fitted/mens?iid=125|Mens|v4.0-Endeca-Product-List|optional_banner_top||M|HeatGearFitted|FitBanner|C|)

If that doesnt float your boat try their charged cotton (http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/chargedcotton/mens).

oliussw
05-31-2011, 00:55
I have the same problem. The 5.11 and UA sleeves chafe and yank on my pit hair like a mug. I wear the sleeveless UA without problem. During winter I wear one size up on the mock tutles and long sleeve stuff and it does fine. That may work for the short sleeve as well, never tried it.

ray9898
05-31-2011, 20:28
Just go with a bigger size on the compression fit. Every cotton shirt I have ever worn chaffed....no matter the size.

Spydermonkey
05-31-2011, 23:37
I go a size bigger with my UA and wear a hanes cotton tshirt on top of it. This seems to wick the sweat off of me and onto the cotton tshirt. Somehow this also helps dissipate the sweat so that the carrier doesn't soak it all up and stink to high heaven.

In the winter I still wear UA heat gear as a base under my blauer t-necks.

lawman800
05-31-2011, 23:55
I have the same problem. The 5.11 and UA sleeves chafe and yank on my pit hair like a mug. I wear the sleeveless UA without problem. During winter I wear one size up on the mock tutles and long sleeve stuff and it does fine. That may work for the short sleeve as well, never tried it.

Shave your armpits. Problem solved!

I go a size bigger with my UA and wear a hanes cotton tshirt on top of it. This seems to wick the sweat off of me and onto the cotton tshirt. Somehow this also helps dissipate the sweat so that the carrier doesn't soak it all up and stink to high heaven.

In the winter I still wear UA heat gear as a base under my blauer t-necks.

That's a lot of layers. I can barely handle an UA tee, a vest, and an uniform shirt. I can't imagine adding another tee to the equation!

Sharky7
06-01-2011, 00:06
Shave your armpits. Problem solved!

:needspics:

lsmountainman
06-01-2011, 11:24
No pics you sick sons of ******. I tried the fitted at Sports Authority today and really like those. Do they bunch up like cotton t shirts normally do?

x_out86
06-04-2011, 10:50
No pics you sick sons of ******. I tried the fitted at Sports Authority today and really like those. Do they bunch up like cotton t shirts normally do?
Nope. They are not so loose that you have that problem, AND the material is like the regular Under Armour so your vest slides across it instead of pulling and bunching.

lsmountainman
06-13-2011, 18:50
Tried the fitted shirts,I love the material but by the end of the night the neck had bunched up a lot and was really uncomfortable. The compression fit never did that...not sure what I am gonna do, I may go back to the compression fit, I am wondering if my deodorant was the culprit rather than the shirts.

x_out86
06-14-2011, 13:54
Tried the fitted shirts,I love the material but by the end of the night the neck had bunched up a lot and was really uncomfortable. The compression fit never did that...not sure what I am gonna do, I may go back to the compression fit, I am wondering if my deodorant was the culprit rather than the shirts.
Interesting...I have never had that problem with the fitted shirt. However, I wear my compression fit ones about 95% of the time.

Best of luck to you!

lawman800
06-14-2011, 15:18
What's the difference between the fitted and compression? Aren't they the same?

x_out86
06-14-2011, 21:18
What's the difference between the fitted and compression? Aren't they the same?
Compression is spandex/second skin fit.

Fitted is more like a snug (NOT TIGHT) t-shirt. Sits close to your body, but is not painted on tight.

lawman800
06-15-2011, 01:01
I guess I have to go over my inventory, I have a ton of the compression stuff and I suspect I have some fitted ones which I bought new without figuring out the difference.

ray9898
06-15-2011, 12:56
Compression stretches to conform, fitted it just cut to fit really tight.

McJohnny
06-15-2011, 13:04
Neophyte here - what's the theory behind wearing compression clothing?

scottydl
06-15-2011, 14:06
Compression will more efficiently "wick" the sweat away from your body, because that moisture is drawn immediately into the fabric and evaporates through it. That said, the fitted design came along after the compression stuff (with Under Armour brand anyway) as an "in between" version - so it's probably pretty effective too.

Rebel_James
06-15-2011, 20:43
its not compression tight but the starter active t's feel good they are sortof the under armor style but they feel better like 7 dollars at walmart just a thought..

+1 on the Starter brand at Walmart. Another plus is you can buy 3 of them for the price of one UA brand!

Also, cover what chafes with anti-MonkeyButt powder before you put everything on.

ray9898
06-15-2011, 22:11
Neophyte here - what's the theory behind wearing compression clothing?

Two fold. It conforms to the body to efficently wick sweat away from the skin leaving the wearer dry and more comfortable since it won't bunch up. The second part is the material, it promotes evaporation instead of retention like cotton.

lawman800
06-16-2011, 10:01
I thought compression also reduces muscle fatigue?

x_out86
06-16-2011, 11:40
I thought compression also reduces muscle fatigue?
This is true, however probably not a main concern for most wearers.

I thought it was a gimmick when I first heard it, but can tell you that I can feel the difference when I wear a compression shirt during a workout compared to just a t-shirt.

DaBigBR
06-16-2011, 12:49
This is true, however probably not a main concern for most wearers.

I thought it was a gimmick when I first heard it, but can tell you that I can feel the difference when I wear a compression shirt during a workout compared to just a t-shirt.

I've worn 5.11's Muscle Mapping shirts on patrol for five or six years now. I have a couple of other wicking shirts, but there is a significant difference in comfort for me.

scottydl
06-16-2011, 13:48
I have some muscle soreness in my back the last few weeks, and I do noticed a significant improvement (i.e. the soreness almost disappears) when I'm in uniform with an UA compression shirt underneath. I think my vest adjusted fairly tightly accomplishes this too, but I'm sure the UA shirt doesn't hurt either.

lawman800
06-16-2011, 20:13
I don't notice much difference in wearing a compression shirt versus and regular tee but I do notice a huge difference in wearing the compression leggings versus no leggings.