So I got my buffer stuck.....And now a question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So I got my buffer stuck.....And now a question.

TnShooter83
05-29-2011, 19:46
I attempted to remove the buffer and spring. I pressed the buffer retaining pin down and the buffer popped out about an inch.
I though it was supossed to pop right out, but NOPE....
The buffer retaining pin went in to a hole in the buffer and locked up tight.
After a few minutes of freaking out, I rigged up a paper clip and slid it between the buffer and frame and pressed the pin down.
Thank God it came out.

What the **** is that hole there for?

The rifle was a Colt Match Target A2 style 20" barrel.

I installed the buffer back in the tube, I rotated the buffer so the hole is now in an upward direction.

My questions are:

Is the buffer supposed to rotate freely in the tube?

And does it matter what direction the buffer is turned?

My buffer is Hexagon shaped, but three of the sides are a bit wider?
Sorry for the newbie questions.

Randy from Kansas
05-29-2011, 20:00
Yep I had the same thing happen a while back. Their are two holes like that on your buffer. I suppose they have something to do with the weight inside. I have not seen a cut away so I don't know for sure.

Yes the buffer is suppose to rotate freely in the tube

and no it does not matter what direction the buffer is turned

when removing or installing point the holes up ward away from the pin it will make your life easier.

Captains1911
05-29-2011, 21:06
The hole is a roll pin that connects the end cap of the buffer to the buffer body.

TnShooter83
05-29-2011, 21:36
The hole is a roll pin that connects the end cap of the buffer to the buffer body.

Yes it did have a rolled pin in it. I didn't remove the buffer or spring.
Once I got it "unstuck" I pushed it back in, and left well enough alone.
The buffer was hitting the trigger, and the spring coils we catching on the buffer retaining pin. Seems it would be easier to remove with the trigger parts out.

There wasn't any need to take it out, I just want to see what it "looked like"
because I plan to build an AR at some point and figured I would "huhhh?"
? "Practice" ?

It seems simple enough and not a lot to it, unless you get into the upper.

Thanks for the replies.....

Facejackets
05-29-2011, 22:24
Thats pretty funny. I had a momentary lapse in judgement the other day and I started backing out my reciever extension without holding the retaining pin down. Well, we all knows what happens when you take the pressure of the top of a spring loaded mini missle.

That damn pin almost nailed me in the face, and flew across my living room. It scared the hell out of my vicious attack Golden Retriever. I just so happen to be on the phone with a manufacturer when it happened and when I yelled "OH ****!!!!!!!! GOD DAMNIT, MOTHER ****ER!!!!" the guy relied "forgot to hold the pin down didn't ya?". At least he got a good laugh out of it.

A few days earlier I damn near launched my buffer into my girlfriends cereal.

I should just stop before I figure out a way to fling my lower through my window

MadMonkey
05-29-2011, 22:28
Thats pretty funny. I had a momentary lapse in judgement the other day and I started backing out my reciever extension without holding the retaining pin down. Well, we all knows what happens when you take the pressure of the top of a spring loaded mini missle.

That damn pin almost nailed me in the face, and flew across my living room. It scared the hell out of my vicious attack Golden Retriever. I just so happen to be on the phone with a manufacturer when it happened and when I yelled "OH ****!!!!!!!! GOD DAMNIT, MOTHER ****ER!!!!" the guy relied "forgot to hold the pin down didn't ya?". At least he got a good laugh out of it.

I shot a detent spring from the kitchen all the way across the living room a couple of days ago :rofl:Thank God Palmetto puts an extra in their kits.