Stripped lower receivers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stripped lower receivers?

stihlhard
05-30-2011, 16:11
All right, I'm ready to take some punches here! What makes any one forged stripped lower receiver any different from any other?

boomhower
05-30-2011, 16:14
All right, I'm ready to take some punches here! What makes any one forged stripped lower receiver any different from any other?

Assuming they are built to spec, the rollmark is the only difference between the vast majority. The truth of the matter is a small handful of companies makes most lowers and different rollmarks are stamped on them. A few are truely different like Daniel Defenses who makes their own in house with a couple enhancements.

stihlhard
05-30-2011, 16:19
Thank you, I appreciate it. So I could buy a $99 lower and have the same quality as say a lower that would cost $180, for example?

Randy from Kansas
05-30-2011, 16:25
I picked up a Aero lower and I tried it on my Colt Hbar it fit better then the colt lower which came with the gun. Boy did that bum me out

I would buy another Aero without any second thoughts.

stihlhard
05-30-2011, 16:33
Wow, that is awesome! I can't tell you two how cool it is to read real honest answers to my question. Way too many times all I ever get is "Well you need an LMT, COLT, DD, Noveske, etc" but basically when you get right down to it and pay attention to what you are buying, you can attain the same quality/or better with any other brand!

stihlhard
05-30-2011, 16:35
Point is, if it is a mil-spec forged piece, there should be no measurable differences between any "brand" of ar 15 parts, but no one seems to want to admit that?

But you two have, and I respect you for it!

Jack Black
05-30-2011, 16:56
Point is, if it is a mil-spec forged piece, there should be no measurable differences between any "brand" of ar 15 parts, but no one seems to want to admit that?

What do you mean no one wants to admit that? If you do your research you'll see that it says that all over the internet.

But it's not always that simple. Just because a company says its parts are mil-spec doesn't mean it's necessarily so. Also, just because two companies get parts from the same place doesn't mean they're equal because one company may require tighter tolerances or have a higher rejection rate. That's why brand still does mean something, because some companies have earned good reputations, and some bad. There are definitely some low priced lowers that have very good reputations, like Spikes and Palmetto.

gsdrulz
05-30-2011, 16:57
I picked up a Aero lower and I tried it on my Colt Hbar it fit better then the colt lower which came with the gun. Boy did that bum me out

I would buy another Aero without any second thoughts.

How did it fit better? You need a certain amount of play between the upper and lower. Having a tight upper to lower "fit" has nothing to do with accuracy. That is only something people who are new to AR's worry about or they are extremely OCD.

To the OP a lower is a lower for the most part where you will get into a pissing contest is the upper.

Again as long as the lower is "mil-spec" you should be good to go. I've built on YHM, Spikes, DPMS, Rock River, And Roggio. All worked the only one I would not buy again is the Roggio as I've read more bad reviews than good on them.

RMTactical
05-30-2011, 17:01
Aero, spikes, Stag all make a quality receiver for a reasonable price. Of course there are others as well.

BBJones
05-30-2011, 20:51

Wrong! You asked about lowers. Lowers are pretty much the exception to the rule. Not all AR15 parts are the same.

micdude
05-30-2011, 21:50
Here you go read this it will explane it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113

"When deciding on which receiver you should purchase you should take into consideration two factors. Price and manufacturer. Of course if price is not an object, get the receiver that has the logo or emblem that you want. I know that is superficial, but the best receiver really boils down to the one you like the best."

Facejackets
05-30-2011, 22:31
Sure, I could have bought a Spikes blem lower for $65, but I am pretty excited that I have a $170 Noveske heading my way.

FatBoy
05-31-2011, 05:57

True, but most stuff out there for AR15s aren't built to "mil-spec", whatever that means now a days.

For the most part, a lower from a known manufacture will work just as well as any other. Some tend to be more black, while others are more gray, others end up purplish. Some companies spend more time on fit/finish, while others seem to have more machine marks left on them. As long as everything is in the right place they'll work. As for other parts of the AR the name means a lot IMHO.

FB

zhix
05-31-2011, 09:37
True, but most stuff out there for AR15s aren't built to "mil-spec", whatever that means now a days.

For the most part, a lower from a known manufacture will work just as well as any other. Some tend to be more black, while others are more gray, others end up purplish. Some companies spend more time on fit/finish, while others seem to have more machine marks left on them. As long as everything is in the right place they'll work. As for other parts of the AR the name means a lot IMHO.

FB

Exactly.

Liquid
05-31-2011, 20:01
from what i have read a lower is a lower. it is all about the logo on them.

Facejackets
05-31-2011, 21:00
from what i have read a lower is a lower. it is all about the logo on them.

well, you read wrong

boomhower
06-01-2011, 02:34
well, you read wrong

While not entirely correct he's a lot more right than wrong.

wct097
06-01-2011, 06:18
Buy whatever logo makes you happy. If you get one from a 'substandard' company that happens to be out of spec, return it for a replacement.

One of these days, I'll build my 'expensive' AR. Until then, my cheap-o, self-assembled, and flawlessly functioning rifles will have to do.

eracer
06-01-2011, 06:20
While not entirely correct he's a lot more right than wrong.Indeed.