Thinking of trying yet another 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trying yet another 1911

3rdgen40
05-30-2011, 17:05
After recently buying and selling another S/A Mil-Spec that I tried to like but couldn't,I now have my eyes on a Ruger SR 1911.It has all the enhanced features I want and is in my price range.
Any of you guys have one yet? I was also looking at a S/A Range Officer, but I don't want target sights.I prefer combat style sights.Thoughts?

Fedor
05-30-2011, 17:15
My dealer had one SR1911, but said it will probably be months before he is able to get any more.
They are selling like hotcakes.

midliferally
05-30-2011, 18:17
What didn't you like about the Mil-Spec? I have a Ruger and am curious what draws you to it? I know the obvious differences but am trying not to assume here. Maybe if your more specific about what you are looking for?
I don't have a RO but many on here do.......

bac1023
05-30-2011, 18:41
The Ruger is a nice 1911. I'll be picking up mine soon.

Fedor
05-30-2011, 19:42
I want to get another 1911, but I really cant decide which one.
I'm confused enough about it that I might not buy one at all.

3rdgen40
05-31-2011, 03:40
What didn't you like about the Mil-Spec? I have a Ruger and am curious what draws you to it? I know the obvious differences but am trying not to assume here. Maybe if your more specific about what you are looking for?
I don't have a RO but many on here do.......
I didn't like the hammer,trigger,small beavertail and the crappy sights on the Mil-Spec.I like all the above on the Ruger,plus the overall looks of it.It's got all the features I want in a 1911.I would like to hear some feedback from someone that has one as far as reliability,accuracy,etc.

faawrenchbndr
05-31-2011, 04:08
......I would like to hear some feedback from someone that has one as far as reliability,accuracy,etc.

I hate to say it, but by my experience, I could not get a Ferrari for the price of a Camaro.

Take a look here,......good review,

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=115158

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm

Nakanokalronin
05-31-2011, 04:39
I didn't like the hammer,trigger,small beavertail and the crappy sights on the Mil-Spec.I like all the above on the Ruger,plus the overall looks of it.It's got all the features I want in a 1911.I would like to hear some feedback from someone that has one as far as reliability,accuracy,etc.

I own a Ruger SR1911 and its been a fantastic shooter. I had 3 hiccups with some range mags but recently took it back to the range and had zero problems in 300 additional rounds (25 of them being PDX-1 and another 25 being some HST +P) bringing only Wilson Combat Elite & 47D, Kimpro and the 2 stock Ruger mags. Accuracy is very good and improved since my first range trip with an average of 2" at 15 yards. I would defiantly suggest it as a consideration for your next 1911.

I would of put more rounds through it but ShipWreck has me looking at Berettas more often as my Yang to my 1911 Ying.

Here is my original review_________________

Well I ran 150rds through it. Ammo used was Federal maroon colored box 230gr ball and Winchester PDX-1. I had 4 failures to go into battery. I used a very wide variety of mags and 2 of the hangups where with the ball ammo and Metalform 7rd "G.I." type mags with the dimple follower. One of the hangups was with the PDX-1 plus a Wilson Combat Elite mag and the other was a PDX-1 with a Chip McCormick clone.

The failures happened about 75rds into shooting so I'm not sure if was the dirtier than normal ammo or if its still needs to be broken in more. I've shot that ammo in many other guns and never have I seen it as sooty so its kinda up in the air.

Total types of mags used
Wilson Combat Elite
Wilson Combat 47D
Metalform
Act
Chip McCormick
Chip McCormick clones
Colt
Springfield Armory
Kimpro Tac
Kimber factory
The factory Ruger mags which I believe to be Checkmates

Accuracy was right on with many of my other 1911s giving me 2.5" group at 15 yards. For some reason it got really dirty. So dirty that the barrel bushing was completely black like it was painted. I know the end gets dirty but its never been as bad on my other stainless 1911s.

All in all I'm pretty satisfied with it. I'm going to try and bring some cleaner ammo with me next time to see how it performs and hopefully the hangups are gone.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/5454/sr19113.jpg

3rdgen40
05-31-2011, 17:16
I hate to say it, but by my experience, I could not get a Ferrari for the price of a Camaro.

Take a look here,......good review,

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=115158

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm
Well , I have Ferrari taste and a Camaro budget,soooo........Ruger SR 1911, here a I come ! :supergrin:

3rdgen40
05-31-2011, 17:18
I own a Ruger SR1911 and its been a fantastic shooter. I had 3 hiccups with some range mags but recently took it back to the range and had zero problems in 300 additional rounds (25 of them being PDX-1 and another 25 being some HST +P) bringing only Wilson Combat Elite & 47D, Kimpro and the 2 stock Ruger mags. Accuracy is very good and improved since my first range trip with an average of 2" at 15 yards. I would defiantly suggest it as a consideration for your next 1911.

I would of put more rounds through it but ShipWreck has me looking at Berettas more often as my Yang to my 1911 Ying.

Here is my original review_________________
Thanks for the info Bro !:wavey: