The way it used to be. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The way it used to be.

CAcop
05-30-2011, 23:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofbvgjl6MhA&feature=related

Found this in my travels online.

I spy a Colt Commando and a few AR-18 rifles.

There is also a several part documentary on there but this is the real stuff.

DaBigBR
05-31-2011, 00:16
Ahh, the AR-18. I remember reading an absolutely glowing gun magazine review (shocking) of the resurrection of that gun (AR-180) about five years ago. Never did see one.

GioaJack
05-31-2011, 09:06
I'd been on the street for less than a year when that happened, (Miami) and it was the genesis for a lot of stations.

Up until that time each sub-tation had two lever action 30-30's for occasions that called for a long rifle. The armory in the headquarters building had 3 Thompsons for those special search or arrest warrants when a revolver and 5 shotgun rounds just might not do the job.

After the LA incident our training took on a certain tempo of urgency and we spent a lot of time watching SLA and Black Panther films about how to ambush police officers, how to initiate fake calls and lure more units in, etc.

Right after the shooting the department started thinking about forming a SWAT team although we ultimately called it HRT, (Hostage Rescue Team. The Winchesters were eventually replaced with Model 70's for the team snipers and after testing between the Mini-14 and AR-15 we settled on the 15. (A lot of guys had military and Vietnam experience so the thought was there would be little or no learning curve.

Second Chance vests were just coming out but the department felt they looked 'offensive' to the public so they were quietly discouraged. If you wanted one you had to buy it yourself.

One side not that your short video clip doesn't show. During the shootout the uniform guys were running out of ammunition and a call was put out for a resupply. The extra ammo was delivered in the back of a paddy wagon and when the rear doors were opened news crews shot footage of boxes of Federal ammunition. The rumor immediately spread that the federal government was supplying LAPD with ammunition... it took awhile before people learned that it was a brand of ammunition and had nothing to do with the government.

Good times back then, no dash cams, no microphones, little or no interference from the ACLU, back-ups that swore they were in the unit writing a report when asked by IA if you hit a subject a couple times too many with your Kel-Lite, no such thing as terminating a chase, one day off as a reward after a shooting and best of all... you didn't get fired for eating free coffee and donuts.

Things have changed quite a bit... you guys have to decide if it's been for better or worse.

Jack

Dragoon44
05-31-2011, 09:27
The way it is TODAY. (except the BG would have a real gun.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hztH-GRUyec&NR=1&feature=fvwp

MeefZah
05-31-2011, 17:04
I like the pimp wearing a crushed velvet suit just chillin' at 0:44. :rofl:

It took me a minute to figure out that the female with a walkie was a reporter, transmitting to the studio. A little before the time of cell phoens and mobile uplinks!

Patchman
05-31-2011, 17:34
In the late 1970s or early 1980s, I remember first learning about AR 18s from Soldier of Fortune Magazine (Chuck Taylor, Peter Kokalas, etc...). All I remember was their advise to get the ones produced in Japan and not England (or visa versa). Had a chance to purchase one but declined. Just as well.

EOD3
05-31-2011, 18:40
"That's bad, that's bad" Biggest understatement of the week. :cool:

CAcop
05-31-2011, 20:22
I like the pimp wearing a crushed velvet suit just chillin' at 0:44. :rofl:

It took me a minute to figure out that the female with a walkie was a reporter, transmitting to the studio. A little before the time of cell phoens and mobile uplinks!

That was no pimp. That was the style then.

MeefZah
05-31-2011, 23:14
That was no pimp. That was the style then.

That does not mean he wasn't a pimp!

SAR
05-31-2011, 23:37
That was five years before I came on the job, but some of my ex-partners were there that day. Back then you HAD to wear a hat. I notice some of them weren't wearing hats that day. I bet they got written up later. Officers got away with beating suspects senseless, only to get written up for not wearing their hats when their supervisors drove up. Those were the days....