Glock 17 FTE [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 FTE

MustangDaddy
05-31-2011, 09:44
Hey all,

I have a Gen2 Glock 17 that I recently picked up. I have 400rds through it and have had 14 failure to ejects at various stages in firing. I have swapped out the recoil spring/guide rod and the mags but still get them. I have been carrying and shooting glocks on and off duty for 20yrs and have never....ever had this problem. Any idea's??? Maybe the extractor needs attention now?? Thanks in advance for any input! :)

JR
05-31-2011, 20:05
The best way to inspect your extractor is to remove the top end from the frame. Remove the recoil .spring and barrel. Now look over the extractor from the under side. You will instantly identify any problem from this vantage point

MustangDaddy
06-01-2011, 22:13
Fixed! Took it to my gun dealer and had it looked over. Upon removing the extractor it became obvious. The back side of the little lip was broken off completely. New extractor installed and back to normal Glock mode! Considering the amount of metal lost I am pleased that it still functioned as well as it did all things considered! :wow:

Thanks for the input!

JR
06-02-2011, 22:33
Too bad you didn't look it over the way I explained. You can easily spot the problem from the under side. This way you would be able to diagnose the issue for yourself and show other shooters how to do the same.

MustangDaddy
06-03-2011, 00:40
I did look the way you suggested. It appeared that all was ok with the extractor. There was literally almost no gap between the lip and the breech face, making it hard to see anything. It wasnt until the extractor was removed that the missing metal was seen. There was metal lip on the front side of the extractor but most all of it was missing from the backside of it....kinda odd!
With the new extractor in place there is a much more visible gap between the lip and breech face. Now she's running like a champ again. :cool:

Thanks again for the input.