Summer heat: polyester or poly/wool blend [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Summer heat: polyester or poly/wool blend

phred119
05-31-2011, 17:07
Our uniforms are pretty standard navy blue. Our new vendor has the option of 100% polyester, or a poly/wool blend. What works best for summer heat and humidity?

Patchman
05-31-2011, 17:29
OMG, growing up in the 1970s and early 1980s, I have to wonder how I ever survived wearing polyester. Good thing I never got close to an open flame while clothed.

With a bullet resistant vest on, what the shirt is made of doesn't matter. For pants, definitely a summer weight cotton (ideally) or even a wool blend. I absolutely hate that sticky thighs feeling.

Agent6-3/8
05-31-2011, 21:05
JMO, but the less polyester the better. I'd take 100% wool if it were an option.

NMPOPS
06-01-2011, 01:12
I'd take the wool blend too. Back in the day when they made uniforms out of worsted wool....they were nice.

unit 900
06-01-2011, 06:49
As already stated, wool adds comfort to polyester in the heat (always allowing for the armor of course). Wool also adds cost. If you are out of pocket, virtually all the uniform shirt makers offer a poly/rayon mix. Rayon is made from cellulose so is kind of hybrid natural/synthetic. It 'breathes' better than poly and is easy care too.

phred119
06-01-2011, 16:11
Well, thanks for the replies, but it doesn't matter. The poly/wool blend is no longer an option. We are now required to wear 100% polyester. :crying:

Cochese
06-01-2011, 16:17
Well, thanks for the replies, but it doesn't matter. The poly/wool blend is no longer an option. We are now required to wear 100% polyester. :crying:

My department has pretty stringent uniform requirements. You really just need to work to change it.

I've been at it for two years. It's all a game. Find out what agencies around you do and sell it to your admin folks.

We went from poly class A type uniforms with restrictions on everything, to the chief approving external vest carriers (still working out the details), suspenders (going for Orca), and "soft" uniforms for patrol (cloth badge patch and name embroidered).

You just have to want it.

My legacy will be improving working conditions for everyone. After I'm done with uniforms (with the help of some influential co-workers), I'm moving on to making our cars suck less.

phred119
06-01-2011, 16:29
My department has pretty stringent uniform requirements. You really just need to work to change it.

I've been at it for two years. It's all a game. Find out what agencies around you do and sell it to your admin folks.

We went from poly class A type uniforms with restrictions on everything, to the chief approving external vest carriers (still working out the details), suspenders (going for Orca), and "soft" uniforms for patrol (cloth badge patch and name embroidered).

You just have to want it.

My legacy will be improving working conditions for everyone. After I'm done with uniforms (with the help of some influential co-workers), I'm moving on to making our cars suck less.

Yeah, we've recently been approved for suspenders and the uniform looking external vest carriers. We used to have poly/rayon, and poly/cotton blend uniforms. I'm not sure what happend to go back to the full poly ones.

Patchman
06-01-2011, 21:26
The poly/wool blend is no longer an option. We are now required to wear 100% polyester. :crying:

Might I suggest that when you need to iron, to turn the shirt or pants inside out and iron from the inside.

From a mile away you can spot a polyester garment that's been touched up by an iron that was just a tad too hot.

puckhead
06-01-2011, 23:06
Might I suggest that when you need to iron, to turn the shirt or pants inside out and iron from the inside.

From a mile away you can spot a polyester garment that's been touched up by an iron that was just a tad too hot.

That is genius!

Patchman
06-02-2011, 05:10
Well, that's what CT is here for. The transmitting of socially communicable things. My genius is now your genius. Pass it to someone else. :)

ghstface38
06-02-2011, 06:04
I've recently started wearing the 5.11 PDU which they market as a "twill" material... I believe it's a polyester blend, just not sure of the type.

It's very, very comfortable.

G21FAN
06-02-2011, 06:41
I prefer the Blauer Poly/cotton blend soft uniform for summer.

DaBigBR
06-02-2011, 10:00
I've recently started wearing the 5.11 PDU which they market as a "twill" material... I believe it's a polyester blend, just not sure of the type.

It's very, very comfortable.

Poly/cotton blend.

They claim no fading, but we wear black (the legacy of a past chief :upeyes: ), so I don't trust anything with cotton in it.