adding a magwell [Archive] - Glock Talk


View Full Version : adding a magwell

05-31-2011, 19:16
I just bought a sig 1911r and would like to add an after market magwell such as wilson combat or ed brown. my question is, are they pretty much all drop in or is there allot of fitting and modifying that would have to be done. If there is some fitting is it something I can do myself with limited smithing exp.

I am also wanting to change grips so I may order the grips before the magwell. can I put grips cut for a magwell on a 1911 without a magwell until I get one

05-31-2011, 20:27
The answer to your second question is "yes"

05-31-2011, 20:33
they pretty much drop-in.

yes, you can use flat bottom grips before you add the magwell.

05-31-2011, 20:51
If there is any fitting, it is usually to the pad at the bottom of the housing. Try the fit with the housing empty, and the leaf spring removed. It should slide all the way up without binding. If it gets tight once the pad hits the frame, go easy and only take off a very small amount at a time.

05-31-2011, 20:53
the brown two piece magwell doesnt seem to fit as many guns "as easy" as the S&A that you see on Quack's springer. you rarely hear about people having to fit an S&A but sometimes the brown needs just a few passes of a file on the back of it to fit all the way in.

as long as you fit the part and not the gun you shouldnt find yourself in any trouble.

blended magwells are really the way to go if you are buying a gun, but if you simply want to add one to an existing gun then non-blended magwells arent horrible, and you wont have to refinish the frame.

06-01-2011, 00:36
My Kimber came with a magwell. I took it off. I think they look ugly.

06-02-2011, 11:10
Try Smith & Alexander. I ordered one for my
Sig stainless 1911 yesterday.

06-02-2011, 11:23
they pretty much drop-in.

yes, you can use flat bottom grips before you add the magwell.

That looks slicker than whale **** on an ice flow, Quack:thumbsup::supergrin:

06-02-2011, 11:38
Check out this video:thumbsup:

06-02-2011, 11:54
Dammit Quack, you are costing me more money, I'm gonna have to get me some of those grip panels, and I'm gonna have to get two pair, one for my RO and one pair for my knife. It's your damn fault so I think it's only fair you pay for one set:tongueout::rofl:

06-02-2011, 14:13
the Ahrends grips? i'll get them for you at a discount ;)

06-02-2011, 15:26
Those are really nice, what model and color are they considered, I see you have the flat cut option

06-02-2011, 15:37
Mine? Ahrends Cocobolo combat checkered flat bottom.