Cobra64
05-31-2011, 22:17
Willing to drive 7 hours one way to get it? :rofl:

Oh crap, not this again. :rofl:

And don't get me going on the "SIS."

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/pee-wee-herman-20090810-174119.jpg

tikka
05-31-2011, 22:30
What is wrong with the sis? I have carried glocks on duty for past 18 years. I have the"wants" for a 1911 series 70 style, with the nice extras, beavertail, sights, etc, any advice , thanks. Not rich I just want a nice reliable shooter.

CMG
05-31-2011, 22:35
What is wrong with the sis? I have carried glocks on duty for past 18 years. I have the"wants" for a 1911 series 70 style, with the nice extras, beavertail, sights, etc, any advice , thanks. Not rich I just want a nice reliable shooter.

I'd pick a Springfield with an NM serial number prefix, and be happy!

Range Officer
Loaded Target
Trophy Match
TRP

MD357
05-31-2011, 22:42

Great, get a Les Baer 5" and call it a day.

Cobra64
05-31-2011, 23:01

I'd go with a basic Springfield Range Officer or Ruger SR1911.

tikka
05-31-2011, 23:22
Does the springfield range officer have the "70" series safety, and what is a reasonable price for new or used.

knedrgr
06-01-2011, 05:20
Does the springfield range officer have the "70" series safety, and what is a reasonable price for new or used.

There is a member on here that had driven 7 hours, each way, for a SIS pistol.

All Springfields are series 70. The RO is a really nice pistol for the price. NIB is around $700-$750.

faawrenchbndr
06-01-2011, 05:36
Someone listed their SIS for sale on ARFcom! :wow:

Dave T
06-01-2011, 17:54
Just to clarify, the SIS is a discontinued model for Kimber. Unless you can find a NIB example you will have to buy used. From what I've seen they seem to be demanding premium prices over other early Kimbers.

Dave

glock2740
06-01-2011, 18:22
Personally I'm a big fan of the SIS Pro. If I ever find a good deal on one, I'm picking it up. The Ultra and Custom models don't do it for me though.

Glockdude1
06-01-2011, 18:29

In case you change your mind, the Springfield Mc Operator and the Ruger SR1911 are "70's" series pistols.

:cool:

seanmac45
06-01-2011, 18:30
The way you guys jumped all over the OP in this thread is shameful.

It's the sort of crap I expect to see over in the 1911 Forum.

I hope this part of GT is not devolving into the same thing.

limbkiller
06-01-2011, 18:57
Seems like fun to me.
This is the 1911 forum.
What is devolving?

Mr. Gekko
06-01-2011, 19:08

No one is jumping on him. It's just joking reference towards another member who drove forever to get a SIS.

What is devolving?

He means TOS.

limbkiller
06-01-2011, 19:10

No one is jumping on him. It's just joking reference towards another member who drove forever to get a SIS.

He means TOS.

My bad.

tikka
06-01-2011, 19:22
No offense taken, I have broad shoulders. I still dont understand all the terms used on this form, i dont have a lot of time to spend on it. I have a soft spot for the SIS, I have some friends that work at LAPD. I know that kimber donated $ to the officer down fund . I've carried a glock on duty for the past 18 years and prior to that i carried a series 70 colt gold cup. I still regret selling the colt. Anyway thanks for the info and the humor.

Cobra64
06-01-2011, 19:31
What is devolving?

Most likely a Brooklyn, NY expression.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Happy%20Faces/IN-AND-OUT.gif

:rofl:

faawrenchbndr
06-01-2011, 19:47

Guess you have no clue about any of the jokes posted above?
None were derogatory toward the OP,.....your post has been the first derogatory thus far.

CMG
06-01-2011, 19:55
Well,

You gotta admit the first 3 or 4 responses had nothing to do with the OP's question and none bothered to explain they were just referring to another long-gone post for a quick chuckle at that person's expense.

GVFlyer
06-01-2011, 19:58
What is devolving?

A theory of Arnold Toynbee's which suggests that we have experienced "Devolution" from a Classical Golden Age.

(When Series 1 Kimbers were readily available and could be purchased inexpensively).

Mr. Gekko
06-01-2011, 19:58
Well,

You gotta admit the first 3 or 4 responses had nothing to do with the OP's question and none bothered to explain they were just referring to another long-gone post for a quick chuckle at that person's expense.

True, but that is not out of the ordinary here. It was the first thing I thought when I saw the title. If saw it first, I likely would have made a similar remark.

Hokie1911
06-01-2011, 20:04

Exactly what posts are you referring to that are "jumping all over the OP" that would necessitate your "shameful" comment?

Considering your post blasting something that ummmmm, didn't happen....maybe you should not be so hasty to "jump all over" the fellas in here. Btw.....not only did someone explain the 7 hour drive joke to the OP in the thread, since he's new, I personally talked to the dude via PM ALSO EXPLAINING THE SPECIFICS OF THE JOKE. So, uhhhh, ease down Maverick. :thumbsup:

CMG
06-01-2011, 21:22
True, but that is not out of the ordinary here. It was the first thing I thought when I saw the title. If saw it first, I likely would have made a similar remark.

Oh, I agree the posts weren't derogatory, or jumping on the guy, and it is the norm here as well. I can see where it might be discouraging to lurkers reading the thread, especially if they're new and not "in" on the jokes.

Mr. Gekko
06-01-2011, 21:57
Oh, I agree the posts weren't derogatory, or jumping on the guy, and it is the norm here as well. I can see where it might be discouraging to lurkers reading the thread, especially if they're new and not "in" on the jokes.

I agree, but I thought knedrgr made it pretty clear after a few posts. The only person who thought the joke was "shamelful" was someone who did not not take the time to read through the thread.

The fact that everyone was laughing at Hokie's response should have been a sign to him.

Ruggles
06-01-2011, 22:13
I like the SIS Pro as well, great looking 1911 IMO :)

I did see two NIB SIS 1911 today at a local shop south of Houston. The 5" railed version and a Pro. I think the 5" rail version was in the low $1200 range and the Pro just under $1100. I could be wrong on the prices, I looked at a lot of guns and prices and it's all jumbled up together now :)

If you like the look of the SIS I would not hesitate to get one if I were you :)

Cobra64
06-02-2011, 02:19
I agree, but I thought knedrgr made it pretty clear after a few posts. The only person who thought the joke was "shamelful" was someone who did not not take the time to read through the thread.

The fact that everyone was laughing at Hokie's response should have been a sign to him.

Yeah, sometimes it's tough to tell when Hokie's foolin' around, especially when he leaves his shoes at the door.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Cartoons/Shoes.jpg

Substance-P
06-02-2011, 05:47
I had a full sized Kimber SIS when they first came out. I just had to have one after reading about them...I was a sucker for the styling and I realized that for many people it wasn't their cup of tea.

The gun was cool looking and the fit and finish were nice. However, it took three trips to a smith to get it running right. Once it was working, I ran 256 trouble free rounds through it and traded it off. Some of the enthusiasm I had had toward the gun had worn off after the time and energy I had to invest in it to get it working properly.

Since that experience, I haven't thought much about Kimber or the SIS; HOWEVER, I saw a used SIS at the local shop the other day...and I have to admit, I stopped and took a look at it. I don't think I would buy another one as they are slick SOBS with that finish on them and I don't think I like the SIS cocking serrations, but mine was accurate and fun to shoot (when it worked).

To the OP, I'd say get one. You probably won't be happy until you have one (if you are like I am and once you get your mind set on a gun you have to have it)...and it it gives you problems, you get sick of the finish, or the cocking serrations get old-you could probably get your money out of it with them beginning to fetch a little bit of a collector's premium.

faawrenchbndr
06-02-2011, 05:53
I had an Ultra SIS,.....it was 100%, and very accurate for a pint sized shooter!
I ended up not liking the SIS slide serration.
Sold it to a friend, so I still get to shoot it when I want! :rofl:

Glockdude1
06-02-2011, 06:34
Yeah, sometimes it's tough to tell when Hokie's foolin' around, especially when he leaves his shoes at the door.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Cartoons/Shoes.jpg

:rofl:

Bill Lumberg
06-02-2011, 06:36
This.
I'd pick a Springfield with an NM serial number prefix, and be happy!

Range Officer
Loaded Target
Trophy Match
TRP

BuckyP
06-02-2011, 07:35
Been a lot of interest of SIS's of late. Where was that interest when I was selling mine?? :crying:

Anyway, I had some issues with feeding with my SIS Pro, but was easily rectified with a Wolf "Kimber Pro" recoil spring (a spring he specifically makes for Kimber Pros") and Wilson Magazine. I only sold it to fund a Kobra Carry. :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
06-02-2011, 08:14
Been a lot of interest of SIS's of late. Where was that interest when I was selling mine?? :crying:

Peaks and valleys in the market,......you were selling a during a valley. :dunno:

gogriz91
06-05-2011, 12:02
I have an SIS Pro and wish I had the money to get an SIS Custom. I did have some FTEs on my Pro but I swapped the spring with the Wolff kit and have had no problems shooting either WWB or Hydra Shoks.

As for it being a Kimber or the SIS serrations either you love it or you hate it, you won't have to wait too long to figure out where folks stand.

glock2740
06-05-2011, 12:21
I like the SIS Pro as well, great looking 1911 IMO :)

I did see two NIB SIS 1911 today at a local shop south of Houston. The 5" railed version and a Pro. I think the 5" rail version was in the low $1200 range and the Pro just under $1100. I could be wrong on the prices, I looked at a lot of guns and prices and it's all jumbled up together now :)

If you like the look of the SIS I would not hesitate to get one if I were you :)
Does that shop have a website?

Ruggles
06-05-2011, 12:46
Does that shop have a website?

Well sorta

http://www.ajcsportshop.com/

Looks like they are in the process of getting a new site up.

Seems they have been around for a while. They do the gun shows around the Houston area as well as having a shop.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3304911

I was happy with the one transaction I had there :)