22 conversions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 22 conversions

mark68
05-31-2011, 23:31
Built a dedicated 22 lr ar-15. The first time out it shot like a dream. Second time out I had a few problems and anything after that was just a pain in the A55. I swapped out springs, adjusted springs, polished this and tweaked that. Now, what I want to know is what are the differences in the 22 conversions. Could i use the barrel collar from one kit and swap it to another kit. Will my dedicated barrel work with another kit? Or should I go with a full blown 5.56.:brickwall::brickwall::

Gunnut 45/454
06-01-2011, 09:31
Sound like you went with a dedicated upper? I bought a CMMG conversion kit- work great in both my AR's though the Colt 1:7" shoot more accurately -go figure! I was going to get an upper but couldn't justify the price! I have a hard time spending that much money on a 22LR!:whistling:

faawrenchbndr
06-01-2011, 11:00
I bought a dedicated upper, a Spikes ST-22.
It's been flawless! I had a conversion kit, it was ok, but I wanted more accuracy as
I was getting out of .223/5.56. I now shoot the .22LR and 6.8 SPC

What ammo are you using? Normally the ammuinition is the problem with these dedicated
uppers and the conversion kits.

shadow65
06-01-2011, 12:07
Built a dedicated 22 lr ar-15. The first time out it shot like a dream. Second time out I had a few problems and anything after that was just a pain in the A55. I swapped out springs, adjusted springs, polished this and tweaked that. Now, what I want to know is what are the differences in the 22 conversions. Could i use the barrel collar from one kit and swap it to another kit. Will my dedicated barrel work with another kit? Or should I go with a full blown 5.56.:brickwall::brickwall::
What kit do you have? I would be willing to bet it starts with an S.
A collar will fit on another rail. I did not have to fit mine. I've heard some had some very minor fitting.
In my testing, the CMMG stainless runs like a champ.
I've used the same kit without changes in 6.5", 7.5", 10.5", 11.5", 16" and 20" without any changes to springs.
I have been doing field testing for CMMG for over a year now. If you have any questions, let me know.
Dave

Chuck TX
06-01-2011, 13:03
Which dedicated upper do you have?

I have two Tac-Sol uppers. Both with many many K's worth of rounds through 'em. I don't know about the other brands, but with them you don't want the BCG sloppy wet like you might do with a typical 5.56 BCG. Just cleanly lubed.

Is it possible you've been running it too wet?

mark68
06-02-2011, 00:28
I have a Model One Sales setup. Now I'm not wanting to bash them. The barrel is a 10" with a welded flash hider. And I can promise you the fit and finnish is excellent. There is no visible signs at all of any seams or weld marks. They cleaned up the weld and refinished. I am 100% happy with the barrel. The kit out of the box shot great. And why the reliability started to go down, I'm not sure. Some things that I found and tried to correct have gotten me results but I'm not satisfied.
* My bolt would not reset my hammer after a shot.
I swapped the springs in my lower (disconnector, hammer and recoil spring on the bolt).
* Bullets would be loaded pointing up and pinched between the bolt and chamber.
A little tuning on the recoils spring slowed this problem.
* Failure to eject.
(I may get criticized about this) I was able to make a shim for my stock ejector spring by using a O ring.
This helped the failure to eject and it seemed to hold the shell better in the bolt.
* After this it had problems chambering the last two or three shells from each of my 5 Black Dog magazines.
This is when I noticed the rails of my kit was bent downward at a slight angle causing the bolt to rub on the rails. I blame a stiff recoil spring. This took time but i was able to get them pretty straight and eliminate the "dragging" of the bolt on the rails.
And when I went out and tried it it shot like a well behaved bolt action rifle.

mark68
06-02-2011, 00:34
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the lube. I was wondering about it running to wet or dry. I went both ways and never noticed any differences, it didn't seem to matter at all. The only thing I'm left with that I can come up with is the tolerances of the parts may be to tight or loose?
I want to thank everyone for their tips and help.

Why did spikes tactical quit making the st-22?

faawrenchbndr
06-02-2011, 04:45
Not sure as to why Spikes quit making the ST-22 upper.

What ammunition have you been using?
Kinda sounds like low velocity ammo causing short stroking.

CMMG is steeing the standard for the conversions and the dedicated upper right now.
Your dedicated barrel SHOULD accept another brand's bolt assy,......IE CMMG

Call them to be sure, great people!

shadow65
06-02-2011, 10:15
According to Spikes, the ST22 was discontinued because of the suppliers QC.
The collar you have should work with a CMMG bolt. However, a CMMG collar will not work with the M1 barrel.
The CMMG collar has a spring detent that snaps onto the barrel via a grove machined into the barrel. Much nicer set up than the slip collar.
Dave

mark68
06-07-2011, 23:09
cmmg on the way to my house.