Yeeeahhhhhh, riiiiiiiight . . . [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Yeeeahhhhhh, riiiiiiiight . . .

Morris
06-01-2011, 02:46
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/05/sheriff-bacas-son-recommended-new-recruit.html

Somebody from the basin enlighten me on this one.

Patchman
06-01-2011, 04:14
:)

OK, maybe, just maybe, this was totally coincidence, and this guy really was the best candidate. :cool:

I can totally understand if someone is thinking "It looks like another fine mess we've gotten ourselves into, Ollie." :supergrin:

OLY-M4gery
06-01-2011, 05:23
I find it more interesting that probably the largest SO in the nation can go over 1.5 years w/o hiring anyone.

Hoser423
06-01-2011, 11:50
"Who you know" is still a job qualification many places. In the real large agencies it's usually not quite this obvious.

collim1
06-01-2011, 16:03
Honestly If my daddy was the sheriff and I wanted a job in LE, I would apply at a neighboring agency. Maybe even a municipal agency in the same jurisdiction.

Daddy's name would prolly get you hired, but I think it would look better on your behalf.

Hack
06-01-2011, 17:19
So, ... What's really going on?

steveksux
06-01-2011, 18:45
I find it more interesting that probably the largest SO in the nation can go over 1.5 years w/o hiring anyone.

The sheriff didn't have many kids... :whistling:

Randy

SAR
06-01-2011, 19:28
Baca's own son doesn't even work in the same county. Murrieta is in Riverside County.

Naelbis
06-01-2011, 20:55
So they son got his buddy a job by bending daddy's ear, big deal. Happens all the time all around the country, you just usually don't hear about it. We hired a girl on as a Detective instead of promoting from within just because her daddy used to be a BCI agent and good friends with the Sheriff before he died. Was she qualified, yes. Was she the best we could get, no. Nepotism and cronyism is still alive and well everywhere that civil service and unions don't make the rules, so just about everywhere.

lawman800
06-03-2011, 20:55
I don't think I have ever worked in any agency that I haven't seen cronyism, nepotism or other string pulling shenanigans going on. It's real life and that's how it goes.

I don't know the Sheriff, nor his politics nor policies. All I know is what I read about his "celebrity reserve" program which did not have too many celebrities in it, but did include a lot of rich contributors to his campaign. The program ended when one businessman pulled his LASD badge and gun on a woman parked near his house while he was in his skivvies. Didn't look too good for the Sheriff.

If this kid is qualified, good for him. Best of luck to him and his career. The only problem is he will have a lot of work to do to overcome the perception and obstacles to prove himself so that other people can actually trust him as a coworker. Most people, honestly, will keep a nice distance from him, thinking that he will be a rat to the Sheriff.