Stainless steel in Glock 19 barrels? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel in Glock 19 barrels?

Sippo
06-01-2011, 05:40
I ran across this add for the Tornado bore brush made with stainless steel loops that "won't harm barrels". Anybody know if stainless steel may be used in Glock pistol barrels with harming the surface? Is there a purpose for these bore brushes for routine pistol shooters?

DWARREN123
06-01-2011, 06:40
I would not use a SS brush in any gun but that is just me. Bronze or plastic brushes work well enough for me.

GaryC
06-01-2011, 13:25
I would not use a SS brush in any gun but that is just me. Bronze or plastic brushes work well enough for me.

I agree 100%. I use plastic bore brushes on my Glocks and seem to remember reading somewhere that they come with Glocks because Glock recommends them. Remember that you don't have the same type of rifling in a Glock barrel that you have in most other barrels. Metal bore brushes might be more useful in getting fouling out of barrels with conventional rifling (not sure) because of the sharp edges on the rifling, but a looped brush wouldn't be useful for getting fouling out of those sharp corners either would it? I do use bronze bore brushes occasionally in my Sigs and Colts, but normally use plastic bore brushes on them too.

Flame suit on:

I run my bore brush down the barrel to remove any lose debris in the barrel and from them on use patches and solvent to clean the barrel.

Tom in Arizona
06-01-2011, 21:35
The stainless Tornado brush is an excellent tool to scrub out fouling in your barrel. You can use it as a jag by wrapping a patch around it to apply solvent and oil. It will conform to your barrel and works better than a solid jag. Get one with a steel center wire and you can use it with copper solvents that will reach with brass jags. I have been using them on all kinds of barrels (Glocks included) for decades and they work perfectly with no damage at all!

HarveyatPC
06-04-2011, 17:42
Sippo,
Use a bronze bore brush and if the fouling is still their add some Chor-boy, it a copper sos pad that works well on heavy fouling. It won't scratch the barrel. Break free CLP is a good cleaner/lubricant - use it on the bore brush.
I had the same problem in the cylinder of my 686. 38s will lead up a 357 revolver and this is an easy way to clean. :supergrin:
Good luck

CCV
06-05-2011, 17:46
I won't use stainless brushes in my barrels.

HAMMERHEAD
06-06-2011, 14:14
IIRC, archangel (sp?) is a big fan of the SS tornado brush. I tried it in my G-19 after failing to get all the crud out from over a year of shooting (cleaned, but not deep cleaned).
It worked well in getting all the black out, but I'm not sure if I want to use it all the time.

John_Doe
06-07-2011, 19:24
I've been using a stainless wound brush in my G27 since they first came out. It does a real nice job of removing lead fouling.