CCW permit holder injures 4 people in an Orlando Restaurant... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW permit holder injures 4 people in an Orlando Restaurant...

Toorop
06-01-2011, 20:31
Link to article. (http://www.wftv.com/news/28014137/detail.html?treets=orlc&tid=26512788676813&tml=orlc_12pm&tmi=orlc_12pm_1_10500205252011&ts=H)

I wonder if they had a "No Guns" sign before this incident. And I wonder if they do now?

Atomic Punk
06-01-2011, 20:36
this is why you buy a good holster.

LoadToadBoss
06-01-2011, 20:46
A CHL holder not using a holster? Good grief.

While he wasn't arrested, I'm sure that a ND like this qualifies as criminal negligence due to the injuries others suffered. I can imagine lawsuits against the man and against his CHL trainer. The question to consider is whether the CHL training included instructions on safe concealed carry with a proper holster. While most on this board understand this, not all carriers do (obviously).

I envision a lawyer feeding frenzy.

Christian944
06-01-2011, 20:49
Ok, It was me, I did it!

(i live in orlando)

James Dean
06-01-2011, 20:49
:wow:This makes us all look good

bob_fuller
06-01-2011, 20:51
freaking retard. too bad he didn't shoot his junk off so he can't make more idiots like himself.

IndyGunFreak
06-01-2011, 20:51
Wonder what kinda gun he was carrying... Frankly, he should be charged w/ negligence. When are people gonna learn?

IGF

denn1911
06-01-2011, 21:52
Not good.

RyanBDawg
06-01-2011, 22:11
This had to be some .22 Derringer, or some crappy Saturday night special.. Any quality handgun would never go off when dropped on the floor.

E-Money
06-01-2011, 22:39
This had to be some .22 Derringer, or some crappy Saturday night special.. Any quality handgun would never go off when dropped on the floor.

Nothing in the article stated the pistol fell out, hit the ground, and then fired. In fact, it stated that the owner suffered "powder burns and abrasions to his leg". Indicating that it went off while on his person.

From the article: "The gun owner wasn't arrested because he had a concealed weapons permit, but could be charged with negligence."

Very intriguing, but I'm guessing he will definitely suffer due to negligence. But there also must be more to the story. How can you be let off scott free for negligence just because you have a CCW?

A horrible/tragic incident indeed. The article does state "but the gun was in his pants with no holster." It's on his head to be accountable for what happened as it appears he had not properly secured his weapon.

Scott3670
06-01-2011, 22:49
Holy crap. I'm glad that no one was seriously wounded from this unbelievably stupid event. This guy should have his gun privileges taken away. And, with all due respect, I realize that gun rights for all citizens are clearly defined in our Constitution but this diaper-load has shown that he is clueless when it comes to properly handling/carrying firearms.

NC Bullseye
06-01-2011, 23:00
Was a 9mm auto in his pocket with no holster. A Springfield XD complete with grip safety and the works. Dufus still shot himself and others.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/orange_news/052511-Victims-in-smokey-bones-restaurant-shooting-released

RyanBDawg
06-01-2011, 23:05
Well then, that settles it. The guy was just a dumbass, not the pistol.

SgtScott31
06-02-2011, 00:24
In TN it would likely be agg reckless endangerment. Regardless of the criminal aspect, he's definitely going to be looking at a lawsuit.

Toorop
06-02-2011, 01:08
According to this article it is a 9mm Glock.
I got this article from the Florida Shooters Network.
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/28013741/detail.html

ftw13
06-02-2011, 01:15
every pistol is a glock according to the media,just like every long gun is an AK47 assault rifle

thr_wedge
06-02-2011, 07:10
Here is the media firearm chart:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/media%20gun%20knowledge%20chart/Bear-45-70/Emoticons/Mediagunknowledgechart.jpg?o=1

BuckyP
06-02-2011, 07:27
Was a 9mm auto in his pocket with no holster. A Springfield XD complete with grip safety and the works. Dufus still shot himself and others.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/orange_news/052511-Victims-in-smokey-bones-restaurant-shooting-released

Assuming it was an XD and in proper working order, what chain of events had to occur for that thing to go off, short of him grabbing the grip and pulling the trigger??
:headscratch:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/media%20gun%20knowledge%20chart/Bear-45-70/Emoticons/Mediagunknowledgechart.jpg?o=1

:rofl::rofl:

debbert
06-02-2011, 07:39
I can see the "anti-gunners" using this one incident as an example for why it shouldn't be legal for restaurant carry.

If you're gonna carry, be responsible about it.

Kriterian
06-02-2011, 08:04
Assuming it was an XD and in proper working order, what chain of events had to occur for that thing to go off, short of him grabbing the grip and pulling the trigger??

:rofl::rofl:

The article that mentioned it was a Glock 9mm stated that he was "playing" with the pistol in his pocket while waiting to be seated at the restaurant. It went off in his pocket, burned and caused leg abrasions, then sent floor tile fragments into 3 others.

Never mind needing a good holster, the guy just needed ANY holster. What a moron.

RussP
06-02-2011, 08:06
Link to article. (http://www.wftv.com/news/28014137/detail.html?treets=orlc&tid=26512788676813&tml=orlc_12pm&tmi=orlc_12pm_1_10500205252011&ts=H)"ďThe guy was saying with his hands up ĎIím sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to do ití,Ē said Heaney." (the permit holder)

Retired Man
06-02-2011, 08:10
I can post this because my cousin is dead!

He was a detective for the Fontana Police department in Fontana California.

He was a alcoholic! I know!

He was in a Denny's and told his fellow officer! something to the effect! -- Wanna see my new 357 revolver under the table?

Bang! shot his own leg. Stupid is as Stupid does.

Gunshine
06-02-2011, 08:41
Just because a person is allowed to carry doesn't mean he should. Sadly another one for the anti's to point at.

LoadToadBoss
06-02-2011, 08:43
According to this article it is a 9mm Glock.
I got this article from the Florida Shooters Network.
Playing with his pocket Glock? Doofus.

HerrGlock
06-02-2011, 09:01
I hope they charge him with anything to do with criminal negligence as long as it has a sentence of over 1 year in jail. Even if the judge gives him time served he's still unable to ever touch a firearm again. He's proven himself incapable of playing well with others with one so he loses the ability.

Cruiser1
06-02-2011, 09:04
At the very least his permit should be revoked.:steamed:

IndyGunFreak
06-02-2011, 09:11

This is why I think safeties are over rated... The right idiot can overcome any mechanical safety on a firearm.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I wonder if he had the grip safety "pinned".. Was fumbling w/ the firearm in his pocket, and hit the trigger.

IGF

bandmasterjf
06-02-2011, 09:22
In the words of Ron White.............."You can't fix stupid". :faint:

BailRecoveryAgent
06-02-2011, 09:23
Often times with the unskilled or stupid, safeties give them a false sense of "safety" because the safety is on so theres no way it can go off. Until it does in your pocket injuring a woman and a 4 year old.

If I was the dad of that little boy, I would have likely lost my cool and threw him a butt whipping of biblical proportions as soon as I ensured my kid and wife were ok.

I hope he loses his carry privileges.

David Armstrong
06-02-2011, 09:24
Actually there are many quality handguns that can discharge as a result of being dropped on the floor. Drop safe is a matter of design, not quality.

HerrGlock
06-02-2011, 09:40
Actually there are many quality handguns that can discharge as a result of being dropped on the floor. Drop safe is a matter of design, not quality.

With the exceptions of a Model 70 1911 and a derringer I cannot think of any modern handgun that isn't drop safe. They have to be to be sold in some states so everyone makes them drop safe.

One of the demonstrations in quite a few firearms classes I've attended and taught is blanks in a revolver and/or a glock and beating the hammer or back of the pistol to show how the firing pin block works in real situations.

Bren
06-02-2011, 09:49
Unless it has made a recent comeback, stuck in the waist of your sweat pants is likely the standard way to carry your gun in that neighborhood. And you definitely need a gun there.

IndyGunFreak
06-02-2011, 10:20

I'd be interested in hearing a few..

Are we talking current firearms?

IGF

IndyGunFreak
06-02-2011, 10:24
Often times with the unskilled or stupid, safeties give them a false sense of "safety" because the safety is on so theres no way it can go off. Until it does in your pocket injuring a woman and a 4 year old. .

Yup, I often think safeties, carrying empty chamber, etc... encourage improper handling of firearms...

Remember a few months ago, think it was on ARF.. the guy "never pulled the trigger w/o checking the chamber".. until the one time he pulled it w/o checking the chamber, but he "always" carried chamber empty, that is, until he'd given his gun to a friend before leaving who chambered a round w/o his knowing.

Now his truck has a cool hole in the floorboard.

IGF

John Rambo
06-02-2011, 10:24
Memorial Day weekend just ending, lots of events going on in Orland (I was at one myself this weekend. Lots of fun), lots of freaks from all over converging on it. Its not really surprising this happened.

thr_wedge
06-02-2011, 10:32

IGF

Kel-tec P11

Daryl in Az
06-02-2011, 10:39
Ok, I'm gonna say it...

Open carry could have prevented this. :D

After all, at least it requires a holster.

Daryl

David Armstrong
06-02-2011, 10:43
With the exceptions of a Model 70 1911 and a derringer I cannot think of any modern handgun that isn't drop safe. They have to be to be sold in some states so everyone makes them drop safe.
Modern handgun is very different from quality handgun.

David Armstrong
06-02-2011, 10:47

IGF
Assorted 1911s, pretty much all the S&W 1st generation autoloaders, almost all small autoloaders made before 1970, numerous SA revolvers, etc.

BuckyP
06-02-2011, 10:51

IGF

CZ 75 and certain variants? High Power?
:dunno:

Gunnut 45/454
06-02-2011, 11:09
HerrGlock
For once I agree with you totally- he should be charged! Stupid people shouldn't be able to carry guns!:whistling:

cowboy1964
06-02-2011, 11:09

Wow, unusual for a news story to have specifics of gun model and caliber. Nice to see for once.

But yikes, an XD going off accidently in one's pocket? So much for the grip safety eh.

I bet a large number of CCWers carry with no holster. If I had to guess percentages I'd say 10%. Just a wild ***** guess though. Think about probably how many people carry revolvers in a coat pocket or purse, for example. Although a 12 lb revolver trigger is way safer than a 5 lb semi-auto, obviously.

dancingwolf
06-02-2011, 11:10
This shows that proper carrying of a gun requires a good holster which also covers the triggerguard. I don't know what (if any) training this guy had regarding gun safety/self-defence, but this also shows why every responsible gun owner, especially a CCW Permit holder, should have proper training. Stuff like this makes us all look bad.

Just my $.02.

carloglock19
06-02-2011, 11:16
What an idiot!

IndyGunFreak
06-02-2011, 11:45
"ďThe guy was saying with his hands up ĎIím sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to do ití,Ē said Heaney." (the permit holder)

I'd say that pretty well sums it up.

IGF

dbrook67
06-02-2011, 14:03

Ok - that is too funny!!!
:rofl:

beforeobamabans
06-02-2011, 14:15
It looks like Florida needs to include an IQ test as part of their permitting process.

TexasFats
06-02-2011, 14:29
A couple of thoughts: First, the idiot may have cheated the grip safety. I have seen pictures of a few 1911's carried by Texas Rangers that had a strip of leather on the handle holding the grip safety in all the time. I assume that it could be done with the XD also. Second, the article said he was playing with it in his pocket. That means that he probably had the grip safety depressed with his hand. Third, the Ancient Egyptians had a saying that translates approximately as, "Nothing is proof against fools."

Bren
06-02-2011, 14:55
A couple of thoughts: First, the idiot may have cheated the grip safety. I have seen pictures of a few 1911's carried by Texas Rangers that had a strip of leather on the handle holding the grip safety in all the time. I assume that it could be done with the XD also. Second, the article said he was playing with it in his pocket. That means that he probably had the grip safety depressed with his hand. Third, the Ancient Egyptians had a saying that translates approximately as, "Nothing is proof against fools."

The simplest solution is usually right. He had a gun stuck in his pants with no holster and I'd guess he grabbed it with his finger through the trigger guard, just like evrybody else who shoots themselves.

Donn57
06-02-2011, 15:13
It looks like Florida needs to include an IQ test as part of their permitting process.

Because smart people inherently know how to safely handle a gun or because no CCW holder outside the state of Florida has ever had a negligent discharge?

Veedubklown
06-02-2011, 15:20
freaking retard. too bad he didn't shoot his junk off so he can't make more idiots like himself.

He was already with his kids. Guess he shoulda just shot them on the spot, eh? :tongueout:

Nothing in the article stated the pistol fell out, hit the ground, and then fired. In fact, it stated that the owner suffered "powder burns and abrasions to his leg". Indicating that it went off while on his person.

From the article: "The gun owner wasn't arrested because he had a concealed weapons permit, but could be charged with negligence."

Very intriguing, but I'm guessing he will definitely suffer due to negligence. But there also must be more to the story. How can you be let off scott free for negligence just because you have a CCW?

A horrible/tragic incident indeed. The article does state "but the gun was in his pants with no holster." It's on his head to be accountable for what happened as it appears he had not properly secured his weapon.

Pay medical, and property damage costs. Fine for discharging a firearm in a structure and disturbing the peace. No CCW for 5 yrs. Good day.

David Armstrong
06-02-2011, 15:24
I'd hazard a guess that if everyone who had done something stupid with a gun were denied a permit that easily half of the folks with a permit would have to turn it in. It's not unique to Florida. IIRC such notables as Cooper and Jordan, among others, managed to have a negligent discharge themselves.

jdavionic
06-02-2011, 15:28

IGF

The built-in quality in most major manufacturers has improved over the years. While older quality guns did not have drop safeties, it's a bit silly to raise the point in this discussion...the guy had a Glock.

jdavionic
06-02-2011, 15:32
CZ 75 and certain variants? High Power?
:dunno:

I believe the current CZs have drop safeties now...e.g., CZ75B. Don't know about High Points...but I'm not sure they fall into the category of quality firearms.:supergrin:

jdavionic
06-02-2011, 15:42
It certainly doesn't help sway opinions for more lenient gun laws. No holster is a bad idea, IMO. A holster that doesn't cover the trigger is a bad idea too.

Tough lesson for the guy. I'm sure he feels terrible about the incident.

IndyGunFreak
06-02-2011, 15:51
The built-in quality in most major manufacturers has improved over the years. While older quality guns did not have drop safeties, it's a bit silly to raise the point in this discussion...the guy had a Glock.

Actually, the articles seem to suggest it was an XD9.

IGF

TBO
06-02-2011, 15:55
The simplest solution is usually right. He had a gun stuck in his pants with no holster and I'd guess he grabbed it with his finger through the trigger guard, just like evrybody else who shoots themselves.
Occam's razor

jdavionic
06-02-2011, 15:59
Actually, the articles seem to suggest it was an XD9.

IGF

Funny...

This article - an XD

This article - Glock

Glockdude1
06-02-2011, 16:03
this is why you buy a good holster.

:agree:

IndyGunFreak
06-02-2011, 16:06
Funny...

This article - an XD

This article - Glock

Well, I guess the world will never know.. :) (like we ever do)..

Point is though, whichever it was, it's drop safe, and like you said, pointless to this discussion... I'm not even sure why that was brought up.

Knucklehead still deserves his CCW revoked. He's either 1. Dumb for pocket carrying a gun that has no safety, and having it hot... or 2... Dumb for pocket carrying a gun that has a safety, and still somehow managing to have an ND...

IGF

RyanBDawg
06-02-2011, 16:36
It doesn't matter if it was an XD or a Glock. The guy still had to pull the trigger for the gun to fire. It was in his pocket, didn't drop on the ground.

Someone this stupid doesn't need to carry a gun or anything else that is dangerous for that matter..

Perhaps he should also re-take a driving test to ensure that he doesn't get bored and press the gas petal into a crowd..

jdavionic
06-02-2011, 16:49
Perhaps he should also re-take a driving test to ensure that he doesn't get bored and press the gas petal into a crowd..

:rofl: Now that's funny

Toorop
06-02-2011, 16:53
HerrGlock
For once I agree with you totally- he should be charged! Stupid people shouldn't be able to carry guns!:whistling:

Guess you're not a fan of the 2nd Amendment.

jdavionic
06-02-2011, 16:59

What does charging him with negligence and him possibly losing rights as a result of a conviction have to do with the second amendment?

BuckyP
06-02-2011, 17:21
I believe the current CZs have drop safeties now...e.g., CZ75B. Don't know about High Points...but I'm not sure they fall into the category of quality firearms.:supergrin:

Yo, I said High POWER. High Points are not legitimate firearms. :tongueout:

jdavionic
06-02-2011, 17:26
Yo, I said High POWER. High Points are not legitimate firearms. :tongueout:
:rofl: Yes, you did. I stand corrected :supergrin:

CitizenOfDreams
06-02-2011, 18:20
Because smart people inherently know how to safely handle a gun

No, but smart people usually know what knowledge and skills they need to perform a certain task (i.e. to carry a gun one would need to know how to safely handle it).

mrsurfboard
06-02-2011, 21:50
Another idiot who thinks it is ok to pocket carry without a holster. I can't decide who are the biggest morons, unholstered pocket carry or clip draw users. A CCW gun belongs in a holster, PERIOD!

mrsurfboard
06-02-2011, 21:51

2nd amendment doesn't give you the right to be a moron and endanger others through your stupidity.

Donn57
06-02-2011, 21:53
No, but smart people usually know what knowledge and skills they need to perform a certain task (i.e. to carry a gun one would need to know how to safely handle it).

Florida law is pretty lax when it comes to what training is needed to get your CCW. I've seen a lot of people with high IQs do really stupid things, some with guns, some not, but a high IQ doesn't translate into a safe gun handler.

RustyShackelford
06-02-2011, 22:06
This is why we can't have nice things.

TBO
06-02-2011, 22:23
I wonder what kind of training, if any, he had?

BailRecoveryAgent
06-02-2011, 23:52
I think we're all in agreement that this could have been prevented,

by open carry!:whistling::tongueout::outtahere::couch: (sorry couldn't resist:embarassed:)

GlockerMike
06-03-2011, 00:28
What's going on down there in FL? They can't punch a chad and they can't holster a weapon!

http://thefilmtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/Hanging-Chad.jpg

I keed, I keed! :supergrin:

Toorop
06-03-2011, 01:27
What does charging him with negligence and him possibly losing rights as a result of a conviction have to do with the second amendment?

The statement about stupid people being able to carry guns. Everyone smart or stupid has the right to carry a gun. It might upset some anti-gunners but it is the truth. Nobody should be denied ther 2nd Amendment rights.

Toorop
06-03-2011, 01:30

Wanted to say the thread title was an homage to your style of posting.

As far as his training on the local board called "Florida Shooters Network" they are speculating that he had either a local gunshow special or perhaps a hunters safety course. Maybe he submitted his DD214 form. Floida is lenient on their training standards.

IndyGunFreak
06-03-2011, 04:04

Well, he had at least the minimum standards for a Florida CCW...

Most people I know take the NRA Basic Pistol class.... I'm guessing he didn't pay as much attention as he should have.

jdavionic
06-03-2011, 04:13
The statement about stupid people being able to carry guns.

Yes, and the statement pertained to him stating that he agreed with the following from HerrGlock. You grabbed a piece of out context and drew a conclusion that I think was incorrect. However I suppose Gunnut can clarify.
I hope they charge him with anything to do with criminal negligence as long as it has a sentence of over 1 year in jail. Even if the judge gives him time served he's still unable to ever touch a firearm again. He's proven himself incapable of playing well with others with one so he loses the ability.

Everyone smart or stupid has the right to carry a gun. It might upset some anti-gunners but it is the truth. Nobody should be denied ther 2nd Amendment rights.
I expect both categories of people would upset anti-gunners. Not sure that I'd go so far as to say "nobody should be denied" this right. What about a convicted armed robber? convicted mass murderer?

Assuming a person has not forfeited their right due to convictions like these, I fully agree. I would take it much further. I don't believe that we should be required to obtain a special license (permit) to carry a firearm. I don't believe that we should be required to obtain a special license to own suppressors, automatic weapons, etc. I don't think we should be required to take special classes to earn the right to carry a firearm. I believe when a person carries a firearm that they need to do so responsibly on their own and they don't need the gov't to assess whether they are doing so as defined by the gov't. And yes...you will have some people that do not behave responsibly. You have to accept that this will happen...that's part of freedom that some people don't care for.

CitizenOfDreams
06-03-2011, 06:05

Judging from my experience, he probably watched an hour of instructional video and shot five rounds into a target 10 feet away.

RussP
06-03-2011, 07:45
Should he lose the permit? If charged and convicted of a crime warranting revocation, yes.

Heck, let him keep the permit conditioned on him paying all medical expenses for those wounded, paying for repairing the floor, and a sizable punitive fine. He'll remember the hole in his bank account the next time he is contemplating playing in his pocket.

:cool:

John Rambo
06-03-2011, 07:46
Judging from my experience, he probably watched an hour of instructional video and shot five rounds into a target 10 feet away.

You shot 5 rounds? I shot a blank into a box from a .38 special at ~5 meters.

A6Gator
06-03-2011, 08:02

Probably went to the same school as Plaxico Burris...taught by the retired DEA guy who was the only one qualified...:rofl:

David Armstrong
06-03-2011, 10:21
Point is though, whichever it was, it's drop safe, and like you said, pointless to this discussion... I'm not even sure why that was brought up.
IGF
While the articles seem to be in conflict, the actual statement being commented on was "Any quality handgun would never go off when dropped on the floor" which takes it beyond the realm of a specific gun and makes a suggestion that is clearly erroneous, which is why it was brought up. Actually, at this point since we do no know what gun it was there is still a chance that it was/is a quality gun that is not drop safe. I don't think that had anything to do with the ND in this case, but incorrect statements regarding safety issues should always be identified and corrected, IMO.

BuckyP
06-03-2011, 10:52
Funny...

This article - an XD

This article - Glock

We'll likely never know. Given the two articles, I'm still inclined to believe it is an XD. The media knows the word GLOCK and frequently uses it improperly to identify certain guns. When has XD been used as a generalization.:dunno:

IndyGunFreak
06-03-2011, 11:06
We'll likely never know. Given the two articles, I'm still inclined to believe it is an XD. The media knows the word GLOCK and frequently uses it improperly to identify certain guns. When has XD been used as a generalization.:dunno:

That's my feeling.

Black Smoke Trail
06-03-2011, 11:12
Link to article. (http://www.wftv.com/news/28014137/detail.html?treets=orlc&tid=26512788676813&tml=orlc_12pm&tmi=orlc_12pm_1_10500205252011&ts=H)

I wonder if they had a "No Guns" sign before this incident. And I wonder if they do now?

You can't fix stupid nor teach common sense. :upeyes:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

AZLawDawg
06-03-2011, 13:13
Probably went to the same school as Plaxico Burris...taught by the retired DEA guy who was the only one qualified...:rofl:

This has the makings of a good reality TV show :cool:

Glockdude1
06-03-2011, 15:47
Should he lose the permit? If charged and convicted of a crime warranting revocation, yes.

Heck, let him keep the permit conditioned on him paying all medical expenses for those wounded, paying for repairing the floor, and a sizable punitive fine. He'll remember the hole in his bank account the next time he is contemplating playing in his pocket.

:cool:

:agree:

:rofl:

Bren
06-03-2011, 15:53
I expect both categories of people would upset anti-gunners. Not sure that I'd go so far as to say "nobody should be denied" this right. What about a convicted armed robber? convicted mass murderer?

I'd rather prohibit stupid people than convicted felons who have completed their sentences (assuming they aren't stupid, which would eliminate about 98%).

jdavionic
06-03-2011, 17:35
I'd rather prohibit stupid people than convicted felons who have completed their sentences (assuming they aren't stupid, which would eliminate about 98%).

My daughter's high school teacher told the class that "anyone who owns a gun for protection is just stupid". With varying definitions of "stupid" out there, are you sure about your assertion?

P.S. Unfortunately I am not kidding about the history teacher quote. He believes that people who own a gun for protection are dumb because there is no way most of them can effectively use it to protect themselves. They are much better off calling 911. This was his last year teaching, thank goodness, and used the role to constantly talk about his opinions on gov't and politics today (versus actually teaching history).

Tailhunter
06-03-2011, 17:49
I'd hazard a guess that if everyone who had done something stupid with a gun were denied a permit that easily half of the folks with a permit would have to turn it in. It's not unique to Florida. IIRC such notables as Cooper and Jordan, among others, managed to have a negligent discharge themselves.

This right here .. This place is so fast to condemn and call names.

Toorop
06-03-2011, 20:08
But it is good enough to qualify for a Florida permit.

Misty02
06-03-2011, 20:21

Letís mandate one for voting first and see how it goes.

Toorop
06-03-2011, 21:10

But then the GOP won't have a base...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

RyanBDawg
06-03-2011, 23:01

Only about 10-15% of people would qualify to vote in this country then.

TBO
06-03-2011, 23:56
Except when it comes to LEOs.

Black Smoke Trail
06-04-2011, 00:15
Except when it comes to LEOs.

:wow: Nawhhhhh!!!!!! No way!!!!! Ya think??? :faint::rofl:

furioso2112
06-04-2011, 00:46
All the articles I found labelled it an 'accidental discharge' - those are exceptionally rare, if there are even any known instances. This was a negligent discharge. It sucks because this guy was using a child's mind to handle a grown-up's responsibility, and he injured a child and 2 others. The victims , if they were not already 2nd A supporters, are probably more likely to be anti-2A now.

Needs charges - something permanent so that when he re-applies for a CHL (whatever it is in FL), this incident will be clearly understood by the granting authority. Needs to re-do at least the minimum CHL classes, probably more, too.

NMGlocker
06-04-2011, 21:18
It's a pretty easy call to make when the stupidity rises to the level of injuring multiple people.
I'm pretty confident saying this guy is an idiot who should lose his carry privileges for life and pay some punitive damages to those he injured.

Warp
06-06-2011, 11:57
Criminally charge him.

Arc Angel
06-06-2011, 12:35
:shocked: 'Police said a 35-year-old man waiting to be seated with his family had been playing with a 9mm Glock in his pocket when the gun fired.'

Personally, I think everyone is being way too hard on this guy. Sounds to me as if he were doing everything right: (1) He had a gun. (2) He was in C-1 and (3) ready to instantly defend himself. I give the guy a lot of credit! These restaurants get robbed all the time. (4) He wasn't foolish enough to be carrying in a crowded urban environment while in C-3; and (5) his Glock wasn't, 'a brick'. (6) This fellow was instantly ready to, 'repel all boarders'; so, I got 'a ask, what's wrong with that?

Who cares if he didn't have a holster? A Glock has three internal safeties - That's 2 more safeties than are usually needed. You know what they say, right! 'If your Glock isn't in C-1 then you might as well carry a brick.' The way I see this event, the guy was simply, 'ready-to-rumble'.

It was everybody else in that restaurant who was at risk; and, really, is that anyone else's business other than, perhaps, the gunman, himself? He was merely fulfilling the necessary role of protecting everyone there and being, sort of, a societal, 'sheepdog' himself.

Let's, 'get real'. This gunman didn't make any (provable) tactical mistakes. I mean, who hasn't, at one time or another, holster or not, occasionally, 'fingered' his C-1 Glock? (Everybody, right!) If you ask me, these Floridians simply need to toughen up. I mean, geeze!) :upeyes:

Warp
06-06-2011, 12:39
Let's, 'get real'. This gunman didn't make any (provable) tactical mistakes.

Perhaps you should go back and read the article again.

1 old 0311
06-06-2011, 12:57
Hope they BURN the idiot.

Mayhem like Me
06-06-2011, 13:12
In this case

Open Carry WOULD have prevented this

Warp
06-06-2011, 13:42
In this caseOpen Carry WOULD have prevented this

I dont' know...what if it was on a necklace?

Mayhem like Me
06-06-2011, 14:04
I dont' know...what if it was on a necklace?

ok NORMAL open carry

Mayhem like Me
06-06-2011, 14:04
Perhaps you should go back and read the article again.

I am pretty Damn sure that was in jest!!!