where should i get my colt refinished? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : where should i get my colt refinished?

ICEMAN28
06-01-2011, 21:23
Whats going on fellas, its been a while seen I've been on board, and much has happened since. Along with a lot of people the ocodomy (sorry my spelling is less then par) has been hard on me. I'v been forced to sell off much of my gun collection. I'm left with my Ar15 and my beloved Colt 1911. Its actually a 1991 but has tons of work done by my local smith. The gun shoots perfectly, and I hope to give it to my son/daughter one day. I like to shoot matches with it so its got some wear and tear. Though the internals are tip top!

With that being said there are some things I would like done that I suspect is beyond my local smith capabilty. First I would like it deburd and refinished. The rear sight could be fitted a little tighter as well.

What I am asking of you fine gentleman is could you guys point me in the right direction where I can get this work done in a fairly decent turn around. I'm not interested in hard chrome, but I do like the finish on those kimber warriors. I am open to other finishes as well. Give me some suggestions fellas. thanks in advance

Hokie1911
06-01-2011, 21:25
Ionbond. :thumbsup:

ICEMAN28
06-01-2011, 21:30
Ionbond. :thumbsup:

please excuse my ignorance, but is ionbond a specific company?

If not where would one get this finish, along with fitting my rear sight better, and tightening my plunger tube?

Again, sorry for the ignorance, been out of the game for a while.

Also what would something like that set me back?

thecableguy
06-01-2011, 21:39
If it were me and I had a Colt that I were going to pass down I would seriously look into Turnbull for a nice BJ. "Bluing Job"
http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=19567&catid=19872

Hokie1911
06-01-2011, 21:41
please excuse my ignorance, but is ionbond a specific company?

If not where would one get this finish, along with fitting my rear sight better, and tightening my plunger tube?

Again, sorry for the ignorance, been out of the game for a while.

Also what would something like that set me back?

www.harrisoncustom.com

JH lists his prices for services. :thumbsup:

cowboywannabe
06-02-2011, 02:16
why not send a Colt back to Colt for a standard refinishing?

ProCarryNAustin
06-02-2011, 02:40
I'm about to send my STI in for a Hard Hat finish.
https://severnscustom.com/Home_Page.html

polizei1
06-02-2011, 05:29
Ionbond is recommended as a black finish by JH. He charges $350 + shipping for the gun, but I believe he uses Ionbond, Inc. which is in North Carolina. They have several other facilities. I would contact them directly. Turn-around is 6-8 weeks. I'm on week 6 right now.

faawrenchbndr
06-02-2011, 05:48
Turnbull charges $250 for charcoal bluing. :drool:

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=20180&catid=19872

ArmoryDoc
06-02-2011, 09:09
Dave Severns HARD HAT finish.

MajorD
06-02-2011, 09:16
if it is a using gun I myself ,especially if cash is tight , see no point on refinish- I like the looks of a gun that is used. When the gun is down to 70 percent of less finish or has large areas of bare metal then do it if you must. As long as it works pretty is not at all important. (to tohers it may be but that is just me) spend money on ammo.

ICEMAN28
06-02-2011, 12:26
Thanks for the replies fellas. For what I want done the Hard Hat finish from severn custom looks really nice!

MajorD I agree wih you totally, but I think I'm gonna bit the bullet on this one and splurge a bit.

lsbbigdog
06-02-2011, 13:05
I can do it in Cerakote for $185 plush return shipping.

woodrowNC
06-02-2011, 14:46
colts

nolt
06-02-2011, 15:17
walmart!

woodrowNC
06-02-2011, 15:20
walmart!

they'd just send it to china.

ICEMAN28
06-02-2011, 16:23
I can do it in Cerakote for $185 plush return shipping.

I'm interested.

Whats about re-fitting the rear sight, and deburing (get rid of all the sharp edges)? Also what kind of turn around can I expect?

ICEMAN28
06-02-2011, 16:24
walmart!

I dont get it???

nolt
06-02-2011, 20:22
I dont get it???

i really didnt mean to disrespect or derail. to be honest there are SO many finish options that it seems to me that more people are confused about it than those that really understand and know what they want.

its kind of like having a baby. youll have 100 different people telling you 100 different things.

all in all its a terribly difficult decision to make, but at the same time there are quite a few really good finishes out there. it just depends on where you are on the:

"i want it to be reasonable<------->im going to wring my hands about it being the best"

..... line youre on.

are you asking about types of finishes in general or specific people to send the gun to?

glock2740
06-02-2011, 20:50
Screw all that other crap. Get it hardchromed by Chris Peters at Metaloy. :thumbsup:

lsbbigdog
06-03-2011, 05:40
I'm interested.

Whats about re-fitting the rear sight, and deburing (get rid of all the sharp edges)? Also what kind of turn around can I expect?

sent you a pm

ICEMAN28
06-03-2011, 07:31
i really didnt mean to disrespect or derail. to be honest there are SO many finish options that it seems to me that more people are confused about it than those that really understand and know what they want.

its kind of like having a baby. youll have 100 different people telling you 100 different things.

all in all its a terribly difficult decision to make, but at the same time there are quite a few really good finishes out there. it just depends on where you are on the:

"i want it to be reasonable<------->im going to wring my hands about it being the best"

..... line youre on.

are you asking about types of finishes in general or specific people to send the gun to?

Both I guess. i have an idea of the finish I want though