Alto Police Furloughed For Six Months [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alto Police Furloughed For Six Months

Hack
06-02-2011, 11:24
http://www.policeone.com/rural-law-enforcement/articles/3771260-Texas-town-furloughs-entire-police-department/

MeefZah
06-02-2011, 11:26
Well that sucks.

Hack
06-02-2011, 11:31
Well that sucks.

Yes indeed. I hope they can find employment to tie them over.

They will probably loose the force almost entirely, and have to start from scratch or stay with county because after all police academy costs money.:upeyes:

PawDog
06-02-2011, 11:32
Alto, Texas is nothing more than a 4-way stop light on highway 69. The only impact the loss of the officers on the town will be the loss of traffic citation revenue. I pass through there three or four times a year, and the one officer on duty is usually busy writing a speeding ticket.

I feel for the officers losing a pay check though, but many small towns across the county are facing the same financial issues. Near me, West Tawakoni, Texas, only had five officers in October 2010, and are now down to one. But, they have a corrupt mayor ruining the show there. :faint:

CAcop
06-02-2011, 22:06
Sounds like it is time to break up the band.

Hack
06-02-2011, 22:11
Alto, Texas is nothing more than a 4-way stop light on highway 69. The only impact the loss of the officers on the town will be the loss of traffic citation revenue. I pass through there three or four times a year, and the one officer on duty is usually busy writing a speeding ticket.

I feel for the officers losing a pay check though, but many small towns across the county are facing the same financial issues. Near me, West Tawakoni, Texas, only had five officers in October 2010, and are now down to one. But, they have a corrupt mayor ruining the show there. :faint:

Tell the state officials then concerning the mayor, or the feds.

Rabbi
06-02-2011, 23:06
Yes indeed. I hope they can find employment to tie them over.

They will probably loose the force almost entirely, and have to start from scratch or stay with county because after all police academy costs money.:upeyes:

For what it is worth, In Texas, outside of the very largest agencies, many people go to a regional academy, pay their own way and then look for a job. These little towns dont have academies and they dont pay for people to go to them.

When you graduate a Police Academy in Texas and pass the State license exam, you are a "licensed Peace Officer" but that grants you nothing but the right apply for police jobs and the ability to take LE only continuing education classes. As one would expect, until you are actually sworn in with an agency you are not a "commissioned Peace Officer"

Bren
06-04-2011, 08:28
Tell the state officials then concerning the mayor, or the feds.

Yeah, that always works. Been there and done that - a few years later, one of the guys I worked with was executing a search warrant with FBI on a former city official and they asked why we never told them about this stuff - of course, we had told his boss and a politcally connected state police post commander, so it went no farther.:upeyes:

DustyJacket
06-04-2011, 09:40
A small East Texas town will furlough its police force for six months, believing it the best way to save the city money.I wonder what other ways were considered.

It is a town of 1,200 - not sure what other expenses they have......

5 coppers is enough to have one officer on duty 365 x 24.
I think the exact number is 4.3 to have 1 on duty - I guess no one volunteered to be the 1/3rd. ;)

DaBigBR
06-04-2011, 11:25
I wonder what other ways were considered.

It is a town of 1,200 - not sure what other expenses they have......

5 coppers is enough to have one officer on duty 365 x 24.
I think the exact number is 4.3 to have 1 on duty - I guess no one volunteered to be the 1/3rd. ;)

168 hours in a week divided by 40 hours.

DustyJacket
06-04-2011, 17:42
depends on training and vacation policies, eh?

ronduke
07-02-2011, 01:47
Texas City Sends Police Packing to Cut Costs; Sheriff Plays Catch as Catch Can.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304231204576405763808298714.html?mod=WSJ_WSJ_US_News_5

Hack
07-02-2011, 03:36
Well, let's see what the city council says after a month of very limited law enforcement. It looks to me like the city council better come up with a volunteer force of some type.

ateamer
07-02-2011, 03:37
Does a town that small really need its own PD? 1200 people is maybe a sixth or an eighth of a patrol beat.

Hack
07-02-2011, 03:51
Does a town that small really need its own PD? 1200 people is maybe a sixth or an eighth of a patrol beat.

Heck in the Midwest like in Missouri, a very small police force is very common, as well as down in Texas. In Nolanville, nearby the city where I used to live they had a few for their small town.

Panzergrenadier1979
07-02-2011, 05:57
Heck in the Midwest like in Missouri, a very small police force is very common, as well as down in Texas. In Nolanville, nearby the city where I used to live they had a few for their small town.

PA is the same way. Every tiny little blip on the map wants their own PD. Large PDs are very rare.

lethal tupperwa
07-02-2011, 06:31
re Pa

one town got rid of the PD.

A town council man became the cop.

The town had only 1 stop sign.

He parked there if you had out of state plates

you "ran" it.

It was a ten dollar ticket.

If you wanted to fight it it was $50 bond and come back at the unspecified date of our choosing.

RyanNREMTP
07-02-2011, 13:46
Doesn't help matters much when the SO just caught four bank robbers standing outside a closed bank with guns in their hands.

ronduke
07-02-2011, 14:50
Residents Concerned Over No Police Dept.
By Michele Reese - emailBy Michele Reese

A town without police. Wednesday's attempted bank robbery has some residents on high alert in Alto.

Sheriff Campbell said crime appears to be on the rise in Alto, and nearby Wells, another city that got rid of its police department.

"Of course this incident yesterday I don't know if it would have happened in Wells or Alto if they still had a police department or not," he said. "No one will know that."

http://www.cbs19.tv/story/15008967/residents-concerned-over-no-police-dept?clienttype=printable