Confronting people hunting w/o permission [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Confronting people hunting w/o permission

cloudbuster
06-02-2011, 12:16
Mr. Ayoob,

In a recent thread, you state, "If there's hostility between you and the trespassers, your simple possession of an open carried firearm would open a path for them to falsely accuse you of threatening them with deadly weapons. It would be their word against yours, with more of them speaking than you."

In the very rural area where I live, most of the trespassers I've confronted over the years have been people hunting on my property without permission.

Now, none of these folks has ever been violent, angry or even uncooperative -- I usually get "Oh, I didn't realize I'd crossed on your property," or "I thought this land still belonged to XXXX -- he always used to let us hunt here," etc.

But of course, they're all armed, so if I'm confronting a trespasser, I always take a rifle or shotgun with me, because these guys have rifles or shotguns themselves. It just seems prudent.

However, I've come upon some people that are just out picking Morels and aren't (apparently) armed, but they're still trespassing and I order them off. Am I doing something wrong by having a rifle or openly carried pistol on me when I'm walking around my own farm (I'm in an open carry state, btw)?

Mas Ayoob
06-02-2011, 15:41
Not doing something wrong, per se, in the sense of legality. However, it does leave you more open to a false accusation of having pulled a gun on someone. It's one of the downsides of open carry anywhere, really, particularly if any sort of confrontation is predictable.

best,
Mas