Question about fitting a part [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about fitting a part

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 13:38
I got a new recoil spring plug for my RIA Tactical because I wasn't to found of the open design that comes standard. Will I got a Cylinders and Slides GI plug

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=466020

will it is twice as long as my standard plug. So it does not fit. My question is can I cut the Cylinders and Slide plug to fit? Will this cause any problems. I really like the design and the quality is nice. Just to long here a picture of what I am talking about. Thanks guys I know this is more then likely a dumb question. Thanks guys its been one of them days where nothings right.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/hotroderx/DSCF0391.jpg

TxGun
06-02-2011, 14:00
You do understand that there are different plug lengths depending upon whether your gun is a Government model, Commander, etc., right?

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 14:04
You do understand that there are different plug lengths depending upon whether your gun is a Government model, Commander, etc., right?

No I did not I am really new to all this and I thought 99% of Commander and Government parts where the same. I know officer is completely different. I know the Commander and Government have different barrel lengths. So I figured Guide rods and parts like that where different but the springs and frame parts would be the same.

Quack
06-02-2011, 14:08
IIRC, the RIA Compact is also a 3.5" gun, so the Commander (4.25") plug will not work either.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 14:34
IIRC, the RIA Compact is also a 3.5" gun, so the Commander (4.25") plug will not work either.

So what would you use if you needed to replace it? Our would you have to get parts directly from RIA

Quack
06-02-2011, 14:38
call RIA.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 14:49
Cool there any other parts that are unchangeble I should know about?

lsbbigdog
06-02-2011, 14:55
Most officer models use a reverse plug.

GeorgiaRedfish
06-02-2011, 14:57
Most officer models use a reverse plug.
Every RIA size except the Gov't models use a reverse plug. I am assuming he has gov't

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 15:06
Every RIA size except the Gov't models use a reverse plug. I am assuming he has gov't

My guess is its a Commander model.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411541851

Thats exactly what I have.

Quack
06-02-2011, 15:06

stock plug is too small for a gov't

Quack
06-02-2011, 15:09
My guess is its a Commander model.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411541851

Thats exactly what I have.

that's a gov't

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 15:12
that's a gov't

Feeling pretty stupid right now. I guess only way one will learn thought is to ask questions I appreciate the help so far.

Nickpisp
06-02-2011, 15:20
I'm confused now. So it's a Govt. with a short plug and the long Govt. plug won't fit? :dunno:

GeorgiaRedfish
06-02-2011, 15:22
I'm confused now. So it's a Govt. with a short plug and the long Govt. plug won't fit? :dunno:
This is confusing me too. I guess RIA uses an oddball?

CMG
06-02-2011, 15:55
If your barrel measures 5" from the back of the ejection port to the muzzle, it is a Gov't Model and the new plug you have should work fine.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 16:35
If your barrel measures 5" from the back of the ejection port to the muzzle, it is a Gov't Model and the new plug you have should work fine.

I measured it and its 5inch's. It has a full size guide rod. But the plug diffently does not fit. I even cut the plug thinking it was to long. When the gun is open or being cocked the guide rod goes thought the front of the plug. I am gonna take some pictures.

I thought all 1911's feel into the 3 basic categories

1911 Government
1911 Commander
and
1911 Officer

Quack
06-02-2011, 16:51
Yours isn't a hybrid, its a govt

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 17:15
Yours isn't a hybrid, its a govt What would I have to change out on the gun to get it to except a standard govt recoil spring plug? Would it be just a new guide rod, or barrel? sorry to ask all these questions.

limbkiller
06-02-2011, 17:16
I measured it and its 5inch's. It has a full size guide rod. But the plug diffently does not fit. I even cut the plug thinking it was to long. When the gun is open or being cocked the guide rod goes thought the front of the plug. I am gonna take some pictures.

1911 Government
1911 Commander
and
1911 Officer

So what you're saying is you have a full length guide rod with a standard plug. That won't work.

limbkiller
06-02-2011, 17:20
You will need a GI guide rod not a full length rod.

GeorgiaRedfish
06-02-2011, 17:22

1911 Government
1911 Commander
and
1911 Officer
There are:
7"-Longslide
6" Longslide
5"- Gov't
4.25"-Commander
4"-MidSize
3.5"-Officer's
3"-Micro

and a few other oddballs.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 17:25
So what you're saying is you have a full length guide rod with a standard plug. That won't work.

You will need a GI guide rod not a full length rod.

Since a GI Guide Rod is interchangeable with a FLGR. What all would I need parts wise to make the switch? I am assuming that you just don't buy a GI Guide rod and cap and be done with it.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 17:26
There are:
7"-Longslide
6" Longslide
5"- Gov't
4.25"-Commander
4"-MidSize
3.5"-Officer's
3"-Micro

and a few other oddballs.

Wow I had no idea there where that many different types of 1911. I figured everything feel into the 3 categories I mentioned.

GeorgiaRedfish
06-02-2011, 17:29
Wow I had no idea there where that many different types of 1911. I figured everything feel into the 3 categories I mentioned.
American Tatical Import's Titan has a 3.18" Barrel
and
STI has a 4.15" barrel so two more to the list

Cobra64
06-02-2011, 18:15
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Happy%20Faces/AwJeeze.gif

"Now I need my meds."

Nickpisp
06-02-2011, 18:59
Since a GI Guide Rod is interchangeable with a FLGR. What all would I need parts wise to make the switch? I am assuming that you just don't buy a GI Guide rod and cap and be done with it.

Does it have a bushing or a bull barrel?

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 19:03
Does it have a bushing or a bull barrel?

Bushing barrel.

Jason D
06-02-2011, 19:31
Since the gun in question is a Gov model with a FLGR. You will notice there is a hole in the end of the original plug. The FLGR goes right through the plug when the action is open.

A Gov plug is closed, so the FLGR will not be able to go through it.
Thus the need for the Gov plug, and Gov length guide rod.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 19:33
Since the gun in question is a Gov model with a FLGR. You will notice there is a hole in the end of the original plug. The FLGR goes right through the plug when the action is open.

A Gov plug is closed, so the FLGR will not be able to go through it.
Thus the need for the Gov plug, and Gov length guide rod.

yea I think a standard GI setup should work. That where I made my mistake at was trying to fit the Standard plug into a FLGR instead of the plug that's open on one end. I have a pretty firm grasp of this stuff now where before I didnt. I guess we just have to learn from our mistakes.

GeorgiaRedfish
06-02-2011, 19:35
Are you absolutely sure it has a FLGR? I am pretty sure it doesn't, please post pics.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 19:48
There is a picture of the guide rod. I think its full length but I could be wrong.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/hotroderx/DSCF0393.jpg

Jason D
06-02-2011, 20:02
Looks full length to me. There is no way in hell that part would have worked with a GI plug.

yea I think a standard GI setup should work. That where I made my mistake at was trying to fit the Standard plug into a FLGR instead of the plug that's open on one end. I have a pretty firm grasp of this stuff now where before I didnt. I guess we just have to learn from our mistakes.

That we do.
Everyone new to the 1911 just can't know everything all the time.
That's why these people congregate to forums like this. To help one another, and because of their mutual affection for a timeless design.

The only stupid question, is the one not asked.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 20:10
Looks full length to me. There is no way in hell that part would have worked with a GI plug.

That we do.
That's why these people congregate to forums like this. To help one another, and because of their mutual affection for a timeless design.

I tryed googling this and was like :shocked: 99% of what I found is people debating the merits of a full length guide rod and the GI style guide rod.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 20:15
JasonD any idea why the RIA FLGR has the divot in the end? I kinda guessing maybe its just to make it easier to install. I had not found another guide rod with the divot in it. After doing some reading on Midway there are two reviews of
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=287729?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc People using that with the RIA Tactical. So I guess the divot isn't a big deal. Something else I like about the GI setup is the Spring Cap has a notch to screw the spring in. So if it does fly off the spring goes with it and is a lot easier to find.

Mayhem like Me
06-02-2011, 20:15
you need a GI guide rod about 9 bucks from Brown or brownells
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42055/Product/1911_AUTO_RULLET_PROOF_reg__RECOIL_SPRING_GUIDES

Jason D
06-02-2011, 20:16
I tryed googling this and was like :shocked: 99% of what I found is people debating the merits of a full length guide rod and the GI style guide rod.

The truth is that the FLGR is a fix to a nonexistent problem.
I mean the guns functioned right up until some pecker said we needed to buy his new invention.

The only real advantage to a FLGR is a slight amount of weight it adds to the front of the gun, and the ability to remove the entire top end in one piece.
It makes swapping top ends with something like a .22 conversion kit a tad easier. That's about it.

It adds nothing to the reliability of the gun, nor the accuracy.

Even my most expensive 1911's have the GI set up.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 20:20
The truth is that the FLGR is a fix to a nonexistent problem.
I mean the guns functioned right up until some pecker said we needed to buy his new invention.

The only real advantage to a FLGR is a slight amount of weight it adds to the front of the gun, and the ability to remove the entire top end in one piece.
It makes swapping top ends with something like a .22 conversion kit a tad easier. That's about it.

It adds nothing to the reliability of the gun, nor the accuracy.

Even my most expensive 1911's have the GI set up.

I didn't even know I could field strip my pistol by taking the entire slide off until today. I find it easier to take down the spring then remove the slide. I like the GI setup looks way better to. Not to mention in a 9mm pistol the few extra ounces the FLGR adds are not gonna make a difference.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 20:21
you need a GI guide rod about 9 bucks from Brown or brownells
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42055/Product/1911_AUTO_RULLET_PROOF_reg__RECOIL_SPRING_GUIDES

Very cool ordering it in a few minutes. Like I said before today was not a complete wash I learned a LOT.

Jason D
06-02-2011, 20:24
JasonD any idea why the RIA FLGR has the divot in the end? I kinda guessing maybe its just to make it easier to install. I had not found another guide rod with the divot in it. After doing some reading on Midway there are two reviews of
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=287729?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc People using that with the RIA Tactical. So I guess the divot isn't a big deal. Something else I like about the GI setup is the Spring Cap has a notch to screw the spring in. So if it does fly off the spring goes with it and is a lot easier to find.

You mean the part that fits up by the barrel link?
Without seeing how it fits in the gun, I would guess its a relieved area on the rod to help you line the rod up with the barrel link on reassembly. That's only a guess though, as I have never run across that before on a gun.

There was a device made by Wilson now I believe called the Dwyer Group Gripper. It was a FLGR with a notch there, and a redesigned barrel link. It forced the barrel to lock up the same way every time. It was supposed to aid in accuracy. Whether it actually did that or not, I just don't know. I do know that it's still made, and Brownells still sells them.

As for the plug with the divot.
That was exactly what it was supposed to do.
I have and old Colt one that works well. I have seen new ones that were being made. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the price was right.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 20:28
You mean the part that fits up by the barrel link?
Without seeing how it fits in the gun, I would guess its a relieved area on the rod to help you line the rod up with the barrel link on reassembly. That's only a guess though, as I have never run across that before on a gun.

There was a device made by Wilson now I believe called the Dwyer Group Gripper. It was a FLGR with a notch there, and a redesigned barrel link. It forced the barrel to lock up the same way every time. It was supposed to aid in accuracy. Whether it actually did that or not, I just don't know. I do know that it's still made, and Brownells still sells them.

As for the plug with the divot.
That was exactly what it was supposed to do.
I have and old Colt one that works well. I have seen new ones that were being made. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the price was right.

That what I was thinking its just to help you line things up easier but I don't find it all that helpful really. Since the recoil spring rod goes in before the spring does. I guess it does help hold the rod in place while the recoil spring is but that's kinda minor.

Jason D
06-02-2011, 20:30
I didn't even know I could field strip my pistol by taking the entire slide off until today. I find it easier to take down the spring then remove the slide. I like the GI setup looks way better to. Not to mention in a 9mm pistol the few extra ounces the FLGR adds are not gonna make a difference.

As long as every thing in the slide was contained by the FLGR, you could.
You would still need to remove the rod and plug to clean the gun.

The guide rod that came with the older Springfields was kind of a neat piece.
It consisted of a two piece threaded rod. You could unscrew the front half, and then it acted like a GI rod. You could even use a GI plug. That came in very handy for me when I was changing my Stainless Loaded back and forth with a Kimber conversion kit.

As with everything that contains more parts than are really needed, the front half got lost during a cleaning. While I assume I threw it away with the gun cleaning refuse, I never really missed it. I shortly went to the old GI set up was I used to, then changed over all the rest.

Big_Grumpy
06-02-2011, 20:31
Great thread!

Schooled!

Jason D
06-02-2011, 20:37
That what I was thinking its just to help you line things up easier but I don't find it all that helpful really. Since the recoil spring rod goes in before the spring does. I guess it does help hold the rod in place while the recoil spring is but that's kinda minor.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to learn it was an idea that originated in the Philippines. There were a lot of countries that made or make 1911's. Some of them had some pretty good ideas to make the gun better.

The Norwegians redesigned the slide stop to make it more shooter friendly.
Those were old prewar and war guns though. The idea never caught on anywhere else.

The Argentines also played with redesigning the 1911.
The Balister Molina comes to mind. They did away with the grip safety.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 20:47
I wouldn't at all be surprised to learn it was an idea that originated in the Philippines. There were a lot of countries that made or make 1911's. Some of them had some pretty good ideas to make the gun better.

The Norwegians redesigned the slide stop to make it more shooter friendly.
Those were old prewar and war guns though. The idea never caught on anywhere else.

The Argentines also played with redesigning the 1911.
The Balister Molina comes to mind. They did away with the grip safety.

I bet thats what it is then. You think 100 year old design people would figgure its perfect if its still around :whistling:

Jason D
06-02-2011, 20:54
The good old quest to improve.
I find myself drawn to the old style guns.

I was just giddy when I found an old Tom Threeperson's holster at the local gun shop a few weeks back. It's for a 4" k-frame, but I love it.

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 21:49
The good old quest to improve.
I find myself drawn to the old style guns.

I was just giddy when I found an old Tom Threeperson's holster at the local gun shop a few weeks back. It's for a 4" k-frame, but I love it.

I am the same way that's why my 686 with 6inch barrel is my prim HD weapon I figured 6 rounds of 357mag 158gr SJHP are enough. I need more then 6 rounds I always have my 38snub and 1911 close by.

atakawow
06-03-2011, 00:26
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Happy%20Faces/AwJeeze.gif

"Now I need my meds."

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/atakawow/tylenol.png

If your going too take youre meds be sure too read the instructions first they are their for a reason, than proceed too take meds.

Take no more then adviced. Your dead if you take to many pills.

limbkiller
06-03-2011, 06:26

That we do.

+1 :thumbsup:

Cobra64
06-03-2011, 21:13
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/atakawow/tylenol.png

If your going too take youre meds be sure too read the instructions first they are their for a reason, than proceed too take meds.

Take no more then adviced. Your dead if you take to many pills.

:rofl:

hookt in foniks

Mr. Gekko
06-03-2011, 21:45

hookt in foniks

Did youre medicyne wurk?

Cobra64
06-03-2011, 21:56

Did youre medicyne wurk?