I'd like to see the report on this incident... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to see the report on this incident...

w01
06-02-2011, 17:46
http://www.wmctv.com/story/14827354/police-shoot-gator-find-out-its-a-lawn-ornament

CAcop
06-02-2011, 17:56
Not the same thing but I remember SFPD went on a tiger hunt a few years back when it got loose from it's cage after killing one of the mopes that antagonized it.

Patchman
06-02-2011, 18:48
Well, I hope the responding LEOs co-workers took that gator back to their HQ and put it in a place of honor, for all to see. :whistling:

Dragoon44
06-02-2011, 18:50
I guess post there didn't require them to rope and tie a live gator like we had to.

Ahole game warden said he was bringing a small gator, showed up with an 81/2 foot one. and it was pissed off when it got there.

The gator charged TWICE as the game warden was informing us how gators usually don't charge.

I was the one that got to walk up beside it after it was roped and hold it's mouth closed while someone else taped it shut.

MeefZah
06-02-2011, 19:58
The landowner says it was meant to scare off children.

That's awesome!

razdog76
06-02-2011, 20:14
Dear Chief,

No one was more surprised than I, when...

Patchman
06-03-2011, 04:30
Didn't Mas Ayoob once do an article (the focus of the article was on the .38) about how a NYPD(?) officer had to shoot a polar bear?

Mas Ayoob
06-03-2011, 06:15
Yep.

The late Lt. Frank McGee, head of the Firearms and Tactics Unit at Rodman's Neck, kept an 8X10 glossy of the deceased polar bear in his desk. When a member of the service would ask, "Loo, why can't we have bigger guns or better ammo?" Frank liked to pull out the photo and say, "You kiddin' me? The stuff we issue kills polar bears with one shot!"

Roadkill_751
06-03-2011, 06:54
Well, I hope the responding LEOs co-workers took that gator back to their HQ and put it in a place of honor, for all to see. :whistling:

It would make a great Stewie Award.....:rofl:

Kegs
06-03-2011, 07:17
I guess post there didn't require them to rope and tie a live gator like we had to.

Ahole game warden said he was bringing a small gator, showed up with an 81/2 foot one. and it was pissed off when it got there.

The gator charged TWICE as the game warden was informing us how gators usually don't charge.

I was the one that got to walk up beside it after it was roped and hold it's mouth closed while someone else taped it shut.

That is a small gator...wimps. :tongueout:

ricklee4570
06-03-2011, 07:42
Yep.

The late Lt. Frank McGee, head of the Firearms and Tactics Unit at Rodman's Neck, kept an 8X10 glossy of the deceased polar bear in his desk. When a member of the service would ask, "Loo, why can't we have bigger guns or better ammo?" Frank liked to pull out the photo and say, "You kiddin' me? The stuff we issue kills polar bears with one shot!"

Thats awesome! And it would be hard to argue with him as well!

A6Gator
06-03-2011, 07:49
his children spotted a gator while playing in the woods near the pond.

Looks like he was reaching his target audience...:rofl:

Mayhem like Me
06-03-2011, 07:54
After about 6 feet I would stop trying to redneck engineer a way to catch them and just shoot them..

Plenty of times I went 10-8 with a 10-15 gator headed to the C24 canal.....

Hack
06-03-2011, 09:28
I reckon they hadn't seen a live one before? LOL!:rofl:

Mister_Beefy
06-03-2011, 10:23
I wonder how many charges they'd throw at a non LEO that did this.

reckless endangerment, discharge of firearm in city limits.... what else?

Dragoon44
06-03-2011, 10:39

None of the above if as in this case a conservation agent told them to shoot it.

I do however question why these officers did not make contact with the property owner first.

DaBigBR
06-03-2011, 10:52

Totality of the circumstances. There seems to be a presumption that every time a cop does something that is reported in a manner that makes it sound like they were stupid, that they were also reckless. At least such a presumption seems to exist in the civilian ("cops ARE civilians"...we know, save it) firearms owning populace, or segments of it anyway.

Recklessness requires probing a wanton and willful disregard for the safety of others, which is a fairly high standard. Most discharging a firearm statutes include an exemption for law enforcement and/or an exemption for times when the discharge is lawful for defensive purposes.

Maybe the department is hiring and you can join up and teach them a thing or two.

Mister_Beefy
06-03-2011, 12:49
None of the above if as in this case a conservation agent told them to shoot it.

I do however question why these officers did not make contact with the property owner first.

hmmm good point.

Totality of the circumstances. There seems to be a presumption that every time a cop does something that is reported in a manner that makes it sound like they were stupid, that they were also reckless. At least such a presumption seems to exist in the civilian ("cops ARE civilians"...we know, save it) firearms owning populace, or segments of it anyway.

Recklessness requires probing a wanton and willful disregard for the safety of others, which is a fairly high standard. Most discharging a firearm statutes include an exemption for law enforcement and/or an exemption for times when the discharge is lawful for defensive purposes.

Maybe the department is hiring and you can join up and teach them a thing or two.

ok, so the police were not being reckless. got it.

you ignore the part where I said NON LEOs. I think if three guys blasted away at a gator in a yard the PD would not be very happy about it, and most likely not just say "knock it off" and let them go.

that's the point I was trying to make.

Snowman92D
06-03-2011, 13:01
you ignore the part where I said NON LEOs. I think if three guys blasted away at a gator in a yard the PD would not be very happy about it, and most likely not just say "knock it off" and let them go.

Here...this will make you feel better when you see there's a few less of the bastards. Probably make you start liking illegal immigrants, too.
----------------

Since 2006, there have been six HPD police officers who have been killed or seriously injured by illegal aliens in Houston.

In September of 2006, HPD officer Rodney Johnson was shot by Juan Leonardo Quintero, an illegal immigrant from Mexico who had already been deported after being charged with indecency of a child. During the arrest, Quintero shot Johnson in the head. Officer Johnson left behind a wife and five children.

In June of 2008, Officer Gary Gryder was struck and killed by a drunk driver while directing traffic. The driver, Hung Troung, an illegal immigrant, was charged with manslaughter.

In March 2009, Houston Police Officer Rick Salter was shot in the face by an illegal immigrant from El Savador named Wilfredo Alfaro. Alfaro had been arrested 3 times before the incident and ordered out of the US. Salter remains seriously injured from the incident.

In June 2009 Undercover HPD officer Henry Canales was investigating a case of stolen TVs in Houston and encountered Roberto Pedroza Carrillo an illegal immigrant from Mexico who shot and killed him. Three additional suspects were also identified as illegal immigrants during the incident. Officer Henry Canales left behind a wife and two teenage children.

On Sunday morning, Houston Police Officer Kevin Will was making a routine traffic stop. During the stop, drunk driver Johoan Rodriguez headed toward Officer Will and the traffic stop suspect who were standing on the side of the road. Officer Will shoved his suspect out of the way and was credited with saving his life. Rodriguez, an illegal immigrant from Mexico had been deported twice before. Officer Will leaves behind two small children and a wife who is 7 months pregnant.

In addition to the five officers killed, HPD undercover officer Nash Patel was shot twice during a drug raid in Houston. The raid was in response to increase violence in Houston by Mexican drug cartels. A week prior to Patel’s shooting, a federal agent had been killed in Houston.

Mister_Beefy
06-03-2011, 13:35
Here...this will make you feel better when you see there's a few less of the bastards. Probably make you start liking illegal immigrants, too.
----------------

Since 2006, there have been six HPD police officers who have been killed or seriously injured by illegal aliens in Houston.

In September of 2006, HPD officer Rodney Johnson was shot by Juan Leonardo Quintero, an illegal immigrant from Mexico who had already been deported after being charged with indecency of a child. During the arrest, Quintero shot Johnson in the head. Officer Johnson left behind a wife and five children.

In June of 2008, Officer Gary Gryder was struck and killed by a drunk driver while directing traffic. The driver, Hung Troung, an illegal immigrant, was charged with manslaughter.

In March 2009, Houston Police Officer Rick Salter was shot in the face by an illegal immigrant from El Savador named Wilfredo Alfaro. Alfaro had been arrested 3 times before the incident and ordered out of the US. Salter remains seriously injured from the incident.

In June 2009 Undercover HPD officer Henry Canales was investigating a case of stolen TVs in Houston and encountered Roberto Pedroza Carrillo an illegal immigrant from Mexico who shot and killed him. Three additional suspects were also identified as illegal immigrants during the incident. Officer Henry Canales left behind a wife and two teenage children.

On Sunday morning, Houston Police Officer Kevin Will was making a routine traffic stop. During the stop, drunk driver Johoan Rodriguez headed toward Officer Will and the traffic stop suspect who were standing on the side of the road. Officer Will shoved his suspect out of the way and was credited with saving his life. Rodriguez, an illegal immigrant from Mexico had been deported twice before. Officer Will leaves behind two small children and a wife who is 7 months pregnant.

In addition to the five officers killed, HPD undercover officer Nash Patel was shot twice during a drug raid in Houston. The raid was in response to increase violence in Houston by Mexican drug cartels. A week prior to Patelís shooting, a federal agent had been killed in Houston.

this thread was about cops and gators in Missouri.

I don't know what you're babbling about.

Morris
06-03-2011, 14:09
If it was someone in my agency, they would have shot it 11 times and forgot to tell dispatch they were preparing to shoot.

And it would have managed to wind up in the sally port for the chief to find in the morning . . . :)

Patchman
06-03-2011, 14:22

The civilian would have been covered if he/she had been directed by a conservation officer to shoot it.

Did any civilian step up and offer assistance?

DaBigBR
06-03-2011, 16:45
ok, so the police were not being reckless. got it.

Again, totality of the circumstances. I think most of us have interpreted your post as "the police can get away with xyz, but if it was joe public, they would get arrested." I would say that most of the times you here about a couple of guys going out and shootin' stuff, it's not because they did such a good job.

Morris
06-03-2011, 17:22
One time, in band camp, I had an old coot who was reported to be shooting the fowl on his land. I showed up and yep, he was racking more bird shot into his gauge. He said he just about had it with the "damned Canada Geese" and was solving the problem Fish & Wildlife couldn't.

I couldn't really blame him, especially after damn near falling to my ass from slipping on a trail of goose squirts. Canadians too, go figure. If they honked, "eh?" one more time, I might have opened up myself.

Told him to put away his gun and hit them with a high pressure hose next time. He agreed. Later got called back after the neighbors saw him running around his back yard, in his PJs, flinging a hose and trying to beat the holy hell out of them with his high pressure hose.

BMG22
06-03-2011, 20:16
I couldn't really blame him, especially after damn near falling to my ass from slipping on a trail of goose squirts. Canadians too, go figure. If they honked, "eh?" one more time, I might have opened up myself.

:rofl: