RIA Going from FLGR to GI Guide Rod setup [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RIA Going from FLGR to GI Guide Rod setup

HotRoderX
06-02-2011, 18:00
Will I learned a valuable lesson its better to look like a idiot and ask then waste money and look like a idiot after the fact.

So before I try this I want to make 100% sure I am on the right track.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=287729

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=115464

Would there be anything else I need to convert my RIA to a GI guide rod setup. I like the looks of that setup a lot better and from reading online seems like the GI setup can be easier to take down.

Does anyone have any advise or anything else I should know? I really am about as green as you can get to all this. I don't know if it will make a difference but my 1911 is a 9mm version.

Jason D
06-02-2011, 19:22
In theory, yes those should work in a 5" Government sized weapon.

The plug you posted in the other thread looks like a Government sized plug to me.
The original plug looks non standard.

The gun would need a Government GI plug and a GI guide rod.
If you tried to use the GI plug with the old FLGR you will run into trouble.
I assume most everything else is the same in a 9mm gun, as it would be for a .45.

I would contact RIA before I spent out anymore money on parts.
I am not familiar with anything but a .45 ACP, and .38 Super.
The 9mm RIA pistol might be non standard and not compatible with most after market parts.

GeorgiaRedfish
06-02-2011, 19:23
If you have a Fullsize 1911 it already has GI rod setup.

Jason D
06-02-2011, 19:38
If you have a Fullsize 1911 it already has GI rod setup.

Not since 20 years ago or so.
Most every production gun comes with the stupid full length guide rod set up.

On the basic GI models will come come a GI set up.

GeorgiaRedfish
06-02-2011, 21:13
Not since 20 years ago or so.
Most every production gun comes with the stupid full length guide rod set up.

On the basic GI models will come come a GI set up.
Learned something new today. That is weird.

samuse
06-03-2011, 08:50
Those parts will work, but may I make a suggestion?

Get the factory Colt rod 'n plug.

The plug has a dent in it so you can screw it down on the recoil spring, it comes in handy if you ever slip when putting it back together. It's also true to the original spec.

limbkiller
06-03-2011, 08:58
[QUOTE=HotRoderX;17438402]Will I learned a valuable lesson its better to look like a idiot and ask then waste money and look like a idiot after the fact.

You didn't look like an idiot to me. You looked more like a wise man asking questions. Only fools don't ask about something they don't understand. And don't ask me how I know that.

FLSlim
06-03-2011, 13:32
I guess it's just me, but I don't understand the problem with the FLGR. That is how my 5-in STI is outfitted and my Colt has the shorter (GI) guide rod. If anything I find the STI a little quicker and easier to field strip than the Colt. Whatever makes one happy, I guess.

HotRoderX
06-03-2011, 14:40
I guess it's just me, but I don't understand the problem with the FLGR. That is how my 5-in STI is outfitted and my Colt has the shorter (GI) guide rod. If anything I find the STI a little quicker and easier to field strip than the Colt. Whatever makes one happy, I guess.

If nothing more I like the GI look better. Also the RIA front spring cap can only be gotten from RIA I am told. I cant find anyone online that sells them either. Pefer something I can replace my self.

limbkiller
06-03-2011, 14:56
Seems to me that any 9mm cap should work but I'm still learning like you. Just about any .45 cap works.

HotRoderX
06-03-2011, 15:20
Seems to me that any 9mm cap should work but I'm still learning like you. Just about any .45 cap works.

Yea the spring caps are universal its just you gotta find one that's the correct size hole in the top of it for the Guide rod to poke thought. From what I read the FLGR that RIA uses is unique to them. I do kinda wonder thought if the STI is the same guide rod since both pistols are produced by Amscor.

limbkiller
06-03-2011, 16:05
Thought you were replacing the FLGR with the G.I. rod.

HotRoderX
06-03-2011, 16:46
Thought you were replacing the FLGR with the G.I. rod.

I am replacing it with the GI Setup just wondering incase anyone ever ask me. I am the same way with computers. I dont use Linux but I know my way around it semi decently.