Sometimes I just shake my head.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I just shake my head..

eracer
06-03-2011, 08:00
I respect the profession.

But sometimes cops do things that make me shake my head in amazement.

I pulled up heading north to a 4-way stop. The guy heading west had the right-of-way, so I came to a complete stop. He cleared the intersection and I rolled, only to get blocked by the westbound dirtbag behind the first guy who decided a rolling stop was needed so he could shave a second off his travel time.

And there was a cop right behind him who did nothing.

Why do we have laws if the most blatant violators aren't stopped by officers who see it happen?

I swear, if I was a cop, I'd WANT to be an unmarked traffic unit. I'd be a revenue generating MACHINE.

lwt210
06-03-2011, 08:14
No you wouldn't.

What you would do is answer calls for people setting off their own alarms and being too ignorant to remember their cancellation code.

You would also break up arguments by grown adults who married each other and then need someone to come and tell them both to knock it off.

You would also clear debris from the road when folks are too stupid to tie stuff down.

You would also get flak from the brass as to why a line wasn't filled in on yesterday's report. Something that whoever caught the mistake could ink in themselves but yet send an e-mail to your sergeant who pulls you out of the field to go write the word "Wednesday" in a block.

You would rot in court for hours on end just to have someone come out and say "Okay, everythings been taken care of. YOu can go spend the rest of your off day doing what you want to do."

You would also soon realize that all good traffic infractions occur when you are enroute to some stupid call. When you are slow with the calls for service? You can't buy a good traffic infraction.

Regards.

Hack
06-03-2011, 08:53
No you wouldn't.

What you would do is answer calls for people setting off their own alarms and being too ignorant to remember their cancellation code.

You would also break up arguments by grown adults who married each other and then need someone to come and tell them both to knock it off.

You would also clear debris from the road when folks are too stupid to tie stuff down.

You would also get flak from the brass as to why a line wasn't filled in on yesterday's report. Something that whoever caught the mistake could ink in themselves but yet send an e-mail to your sergeant who pulls you out of the field to go write the word "Wednesday" in a block.

You would rot in court for hours on end just to have someone come out and say "Okay, everythings been taken care of. YOu can go spend the rest of your off day doing what you want to do."

You would also soon realize that all good traffic infractions occur when you are enroute to some stupid call. When you are slow with the calls for service? You can't buy a good traffic infraction.

Regards.

Sounds like a usual day from what I have heard in these parts.

eracer
06-03-2011, 08:56
Thanks for ruining my fantasy, Hack.:supergrin:

Hack
06-03-2011, 09:02

You're welcome.:whistling:

Unistat
06-03-2011, 09:03

I pulled up heading north to a 4-way stop. The guy heading west had the right-of-way, so I came to a complete stop. He cleared the intersection and I rolled, only to get blocked by the westbound dirtbag behind the first guy who decided a rolling stop was needed so he could shave a second off his travel time.

Why do we have laws if the most blatant violators aren't stopped by officers who see it happen?

I swear, if I was a cop, I'd WANT to be an unmarked traffic unit. I'd be a revenue generating MACHINE.

LMAO! It's the flip side of the "Why can't you be out catching real criminals?" people say when they get stopped. Just because you didn't see the cop stop him right then doesn't mean he didn't get stopped further down the road.

Maybe the intersection was a bad location for a stop.
Maybe the officer was waiting for information about the car or driver.
Maybe the officer was waiting for another officer for back up because the car belonged to a known violent person.
Maybe a million other things that you or I can't think of.

Nobody appreciates being Monday Morning Quarterbacked, and cops get way more than their fair share.

257so
06-03-2011, 09:12
lwt210.... well said

lwt210
06-03-2011, 10:06

Everytime we get to ruin someone's fantasy, an angel gets her wings. :supergrin:

eracer
06-03-2011, 10:19
LMAO! It's the flip side of the "Why can't you be out catching real criminals?" people say when they get stopped. Just because you didn't see the cop stop him right then doesn't mean he didn't get stopped further down the road.

Maybe the intersection was a bad location for a stop.
Maybe the officer was waiting for information about the car or driver.
Maybe the officer was waiting for another officer for back up because the car belonged to a known violent person.
Maybe a million other things that you or I can't think of.

Nobody appreciates being Monday Morning Quarterbacked, and cops get way more than their fair share.Good points, except that the officer turned north.

So I'm probably right, and the officer just didn't feel like handing out a ticket for an offense that he deemed 'insignificant.' If so, then laughter isn't really appropriate - in my opinion.

But thanks for your thoughtful response to my 'monday morning quarterbacking.'

And really, the thread is more about my problem with people who willfully and blatantly thumb their noses at traffic laws, laws which - especially in the case of stop sign violations - help save lives.

There's been too many times I've almost been wrecked by some idiot ignoring a stop sign, so yeah, when I see a cop ignore an obvious violation, I get a little peeved.

Agent6-3/8
06-03-2011, 10:25
No you wouldn't.

Regards.

Danged if that isn't spot on!

Unistat
06-03-2011, 10:34
Good points, except that the officer turned north.

So I'm probably right, and the officer just didn't feel like handing out a ticket for an offense that he deemed 'insignificant.' If so, then laughter isn't really appropriate - in my opinion.

And really, the thread is more about my problem with people who willfully and blatantly thumb their noses at traffic laws, laws which - especially in the case of stop sign violations - help save lives.

There's been too many times I've almost been wrecked by some idiot ignoring a stop sign, so yeah, when I see a cop ignore an obvious violation, I get a little peeved.

See: "Million other reasons..."

I was pulled over once for running a red light. The officer got about half way into the stop before he got a call on the radio. He handed me back my docs, said "Be more careful" and took off like a bat out of hell. Sometimes there are more important things than traffic enforcement.

Before you say "When he turned North he was driving normal speed" I can only respond to what you post. If you left out details, obviously, I can't account for them. Sort of like how we can't account for details that an officer knows but we are not privy too when we watch them drive down the road.

Kadetklapp
06-03-2011, 10:34

Again, the officer may have been en route to a call. Even if it was a non-priority call, LEOs are generally expected to go directly to their calls for service and NOT stop cars on the way. Why? Because this severely annoys dispatchers especially when they have to run two different calls on the cad at the same time on the same officer. Not to mention how much longer the response times would be. It is highly frowned upon unless it's such a grievous violation it simply has to be dealt with then and there.

He may have been looking down at his lap contemplating suck-starting his pistol, looking at his computer, his phone, his radio, or his dashboard and not seen the infraction.

We are not perfect.

We are not capable of dropping everything to take care of an infraction violation just because it offends you. Trust me, I know.

DaBigBR
06-03-2011, 10:46

You make an awful lot of assumptions.

You assume that because you feel the violation is so egregious, that we're going to cite for it. I give more warnings than tickets on the average night, and that includes warnings for sign/signal violations and speeding. It's traffic enforcement - it's all "insignificant" in the big scheme. Necessary, but relatively minor.

You also appear to assume that the officer was too lazy to make the stop. Maybe he was en route to a non-emergency call - many agencies have policies (official and unofficial) about enforcing traffic laws for anything but an ongoing danger to the public (e.g. an obviously drunk driver, somebody going the wrong way on a one way) while responding to a call. They have these policies because A) the person whose call for service they are handling has likely already been waiting and B) it can be a way for an officer to dodge the call. Ultimately, if nobody pulls a single car over, there are fewer complaints than people left waiting an hour to report a burglary.

Maybe the officer was on his way home after pulling a double. Maybe he was on his way to court. Maybe he was heading out of town for training. Maybe he was on his way to dinner. Maybe you're right, maybe he was just too lazy to make the stop.

Maybe that department is hiring.

Mayhem like Me
06-03-2011, 11:10

he was more than likely assigned to something else that took priority over the minor traffic violation..

Bpunk360
06-03-2011, 11:21
No you wouldn't.

Regards.

Spot on...

or it was not a traffic infraction..

in NJ if your at a stop sign and the 1st person in line comes to a complete stop and then goes through the intersection, the second person in line does not have to come to a complete stop as long as they came to a complete stop behind the 1st person, but the 3rd person does.

msu_grad_121
06-03-2011, 11:21
Maybe that department is hiring.

ZING! Love the "put-up-or-shut-up" undertone, and you're right.

No one can say why anyone else did anything, since none of us are that person. The best we can do is say what is possibly and likely.

If they ARE hiring, I'm gonna need some contact info on the department in question :supergrin:

trdvet
06-03-2011, 11:23
No appointment and no hat. Isn't this what people wanted? Maybe he was out catching "real criminals"?

DaBigBR
06-03-2011, 11:25
ZING! Love the "put-up-or-shut-up" undertone, and you're right.

No one can say why anyone else did anything, since none of us are that person. The best we can do is say what is possibly and likely.

If they ARE hiring, I'm gonna need some contact info on the department in question :supergrin:

That's going to be my standard response in these threads now. I've already used it a second time.

lwt210
06-03-2011, 11:25
Maybe the cop was surfing the Caturday thread in GNG on his mobile laptop and oblivious to the infraction in question?

But that is the romantic in me coming out again and rearing it's ugly head. :supergrin:

CAcop
06-03-2011, 11:45
I rarely pull people over if I am on my way to a call. It has to be a near accident or actual accident for me to do something. I spend most of my day shagging calls for service. If they wanted me to pull over cars they would give us more bodies. That is not happening until two years after this economy recovers. That should happen in fiscal year 2022. Which is also the fiscal year I retire.

Sharky7
06-03-2011, 11:48
"The police are the people and the people are the police."

Time to take some action into your own hands. You got a CCW badge, don't ya?
http://shootingsafely.com/ccwbanner.jpg

CAcop
06-03-2011, 11:49

1) In CA totally unmarked units can't do traffic enforcement.

2) It costs the city more money than they get when it comes to traffic tickets. The state gets more sometimes they hand it back in grants, and the local courts make most of the money. To be honest the best you can hope for is that somewhere all the combined government intake equals the costs.

lwt210
06-03-2011, 11:54
Maybe the cop was reading an email from the brass saying that his/her retirement withholding is going up again and that he/she has to reach age 58 with 30 years of service to draw a pension that will barely cover the out of pocket health care cost?

Maybe he/she was scanning the want ads looking for a better gig?

eracer
06-03-2011, 12:14
See: "Million other reasons..."

I was pulled over once for running a red light. The officer got about half way into the stop before he got a call on the radio. He handed me back my docs, said "Be more careful" and took off like a bat out of hell. Sometimes there are more important things than traffic enforcement.

Before you say "When he turned North he was driving normal speed" I can only respond to what you post. If you left out details, obviously, I can't account for them. Sort of like how we can't account for details that an officer knows but we are not privy too when we watch them drive down the road.Is it possible that he simply chose not to give the guy a ticket?

Not possible?

eracer
06-03-2011, 12:15
You make an awful lot of assumptions.

You assume that because you feel the violation is so egregious, that we're going to cite for it. I give more warnings than tickets on the average night, and that includes warnings for sign/signal violations and speeding. It's traffic enforcement - it's all "insignificant" in the big scheme. Necessary, but relatively minor.

You also appear to assume that the officer was too lazy to make the stop. Maybe he was en route to a non-emergency call - many agencies have policies (official and unofficial) about enforcing traffic laws for anything but an ongoing danger to the public (e.g. an obviously drunk driver, somebody going the wrong way on a one way) while responding to a call. They have these policies because A) the person whose call for service they are handling has likely already been waiting and B) it can be a way for an officer to dodge the call. Ultimately, if nobody pulls a single car over, there are fewer complaints than people left waiting an hour to report a burglary.

Maybe the officer was on his way home after pulling a double. Maybe he was on his way to court. Maybe he was heading out of town for training. Maybe he was on his way to dinner. Maybe you're right, maybe he was just too lazy to make the stop.

Maybe that department is hiring.I understand all that.

It works both ways.

eracer
06-03-2011, 12:21
Spot on...

or it was not a traffic infraction..

in NJ if your at a stop sign and the 1st person in line comes to a complete stop and then goes through the intersection, the second person in line does not have to come to a complete stop as long as they came to a complete stop behind the 1st person, but the 3rd person does.In Florida, a 4-way stop works like this:

316.121 (2)(b) At a four-way stop intersection, the driver of the first vehicle to stop at the intersection shall be the first to proceed. If two or more vehicles reach the four-way stop intersection at the same time, the driver of the vehicle on the left shall yield the right-of-way to the vehicle on the right.

Read my original post and tell me whether you think it was an infraction. It was.

I doubt the rule is essentially different in any other state.

eracer
06-03-2011, 12:24
"The police are the people and the people are the police."

Time to take some action into your own hands. You got a CCW badge, don't ya?
So you support running stop signs? You don't think officers should ticket red light violators? You think that because I do I'm some kind of 'Ranger Rick'?

On the playground, after school. You and me.:rofl:

Hack
06-03-2011, 12:47
No appointment and no hat. Isn't this what people wanted? Maybe he was out catching "real criminals"?

The hot wife?:whistling:

Unistat
06-03-2011, 13:27
Is it possible that he simply chose not to give the guy a ticket?

Not possible?

Anything is possible, but in my experience lazy cops are not the norm, so I will say unlikely. Regardless, the cop being lazy is not the first conclusion I would reach.

msu_grad_121
06-03-2011, 13:34
The hot wife?:whistling:

Maybe he was following her out of his jurisdiction? :tongueout:

Hack
06-03-2011, 13:38
Maybe he was following her out of his jurisdiction? :tongueout:

Surely not! :rofl:

eracer
06-03-2011, 14:15
Anything is possible, but in my experience lazy cops are not the norm, so I will say unlikely. Regardless, the cop being lazy is not the first conclusion I would reach.Honestly, I never said he was lazy. And I don't expect Johnny law to pounce on every driver who flicks a cigarette butt out of his window. But to me (and this thread is of course, all about me) wanton red light/stop sign violators are the some of the most dangerous drivers on the road. And a cop should not give anyone a pass when it happens right in front of them.

I understand that the officer may have been on his way to another call. If that's the case, then he was probably pissed off about having to let him go.

How about a question then:

Would you - as a patrol officer - have let the guy go if you had no reason not to stop him other than your good will?

packsaddle
06-03-2011, 14:17
I'm sure that rape victim we said we would meet at 9pm for a statement wouldn't mind waiting an extra 10 or 15 minutes while we cite that guy with a broken tail light.

Hell, I'd never get to a call if I stopped everybody I saw committing a minor traffic infraction.

Unistat
06-03-2011, 14:37
...And there was a cop right behind him who did nothing...

...So I'm probably right, and the officer just didn't feel like handing out a ticket for an offense that he deemed 'insignificant.' If so, then laughter isn't really appropriate - in my opinion...

Honestly, I never said he was lazy.

Well, if it wasn't the message sent, it was definatetly the message recieved.

Unistat
06-03-2011, 14:42
Would you - as a patrol officer - have let the guy go if you had no reason not to stop him other than your good will?

I'm not a patrol officer (or any kind of LEO) but all things being equal, if I didn't have another call or whatever, I would have stopped him. I also dislike traffic violators and I am told that even minor traffic stops often turn into an arrest for a more "serious" crime.

My number one pet peeve is turn signals, although texing while driving is quickly moving up the ranks and may overtake it soon.

eracer
06-03-2011, 14:49
Well, if it wasn't the message sent, it was definatetly the message recieved.Well, if you want to equate 'lazy' with 'deciding not to ticket someone'...

I think they have two completely different meanings. Maybe it's that 'Fog of Internet' I hear talk of...:whistling:

eracer
06-03-2011, 14:54
I'm sure that rape victim we said we would meet at 9pm for a statement wouldn't mind waiting an extra 10 or 15 minutes while we cite that guy with a broken tail light.

Hell, I'd never get to a call if I stopped everybody I saw committing a minor traffic infraction.That's the crux of the matter. You see a stop sign violation as a minor traffic infraction. I understand that you see a lot more acts that warrant your attention more than any traffic infraction, and have defined those traffic violations as not worthy of nearly as much attention.

Me...I despise red light runners, and feel that enforcement should be radically increased, all across the nation. But of course, in this time of department cutbacks and the overflowing toilet called the court system, it's just too much to expect.

DaBigBR
06-03-2011, 16:49

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Traffic enforcement is a big part of the job, but it's still only a part of it. Sometimes I feel like **** at work, and "productivity" suffers because of it. It happens at everybody's job...sometimes there are just days where the standards are a little higher. Not saying that anybody has to like it, but it's reality.

Morris
06-03-2011, 17:16
Quick question for the OP: have you done a ride along with any busy agencies? Heck, any agencies?

If not, may open your eyes just a wee bit.

msu_grad_121
06-03-2011, 17:32
That's the crux of the matter. You see a stop sign violation as a minor traffic infraction. I understand that you see a lot more acts that warrant your attention more than any traffic infraction, and have defined those traffic violations as not worthy of nearly as much attention.

Me...I despise red light runners, and feel that enforcement should be radically increased, all across the nation. But of course, in this time of department cutbacks and the overflowing toilet called the court system, it's just too much to expect.

To paraphrase Jimmy Hoffa: It's important to you, not to him. :dunno:
We can debate about why it wasn't important to him until we're blue in the face, but it boils down to that statement at that particular time, in that specific situation.

Dukeboy01
06-03-2011, 19:14
How about a question then:

Honestly, I probably would have let it go. A "California Roll" through a four way stop is pretty low on my personal "worth- getting- out- of- my- car" meter. Given that traffic should be stopped in all of the other directions, it's more of a traffic inconvenience than a traffic hazard. Nobody in that situation is going to get up enough of a head of steam to hurt anyone if there did happen to be a wreck.

But I was never much of a traffic goon anyway when I was on patrol. Sometimes I would sit and watch a stop sign, but you had to completely blow it for me to pull you over. I mean 25 mph+, never touched your brakes at all, kind of blow it.

That being said, for some reason I have been on a tear the last couple of weeks in my unmarked detective special, mostly for tailgaters. For years I had a maroon Nissan as my g-ride, and got no respect from other motorists. No biggie. They didn't suspect I was the po-po.

However, my new ride is a silver Crown Vic with a big ol' radio antenna on it's butt and the blacked out "police interceptor" trim including the gaping black grille. I also keep my big blue "Kojak" light permanently affixed to my dash because it kept getting tangled up in the cord to my XM radio receiver when I would move it from the floor to the dash. The vast majority of drivers recognize my whip for what it is and give a wide berth. The only way it could be more "official" is if it had a lightbar on the roof.

But I've written five tickets in the last two weeks to mouthbreathers who decided that it was a good idea to draft this obviously official vehicle at 80+ mph. One clown even flashed his high beams at me. I slung into the emergency lane, jammed my brakes to let him shoot past, slung in behind him and flashed my high beams at him. Along with my dashlight, visor mounted strobes, front corner strobes, and rear wig- wags. And I bumped the siren a couple of times for good measure.

And then wrote him for the tailgating, no valid insurance, and no registration receipt.

OD Green Glock 19
06-04-2011, 00:52
I hate lawbreakers as much as the next guy. I hate when jack***es go flying past me at 80-90mph right in front of state troopers on the interstate and nobody does anything. It has happened several times in just the past month or so on my daily commute right where the troopers normally post up. It's annoying, but I don't jump to the conclusion that the trooper saw the offense and ignored it just to sit on his a**. I simply figure the officer was looking the other way or paying attention to something else at that particular moment. Just because YOU saw it, doesn't mean he/she did. Take it easy

Naelbis
06-04-2011, 01:58
I think the OP had a valid question about an incident that he observed and deserved to be educated respectfully. No reason to be mocking him about it, until he refuses to accept valid reasons why the officer might have overlooked the infraction.

lawman800
06-04-2011, 03:26
I don't go after every traffic violation. Sometimes I am busy with something else. Maybe I'm working on something like writing a report or filling out another ticket I wrote earlier to another traffic violator.

But then maybe I stay parked in the same place so even though I am indisposed and out of service, I figure that I can provide some visible deterrence with high visibility in a traffic zone. Then as soon as I finish with my stuff, I can get right back in business with the next guy that comes through.

OldScribe2009
06-04-2011, 04:04
That being said, for some reason I have been on a tear the last couple of weeks in my unmarked detective special, mostly for tailgaters. For years I had a maroon Nissan as my g-ride, and got no respect from other motorists. No biggie. They didn't suspect I was the po-po.

But I've written five tickets in the last two weeks to mouthbreathers who decided that it was a good idea to draft this obviously official vehicle at 80+ mph. One clown even flashed his high beams at me. I slung into the emergency lane, jammed my brakes to let him shoot past, slung in behind him and flashed my high beams at him. Along with my dashlight, visor mounted strobes, front corner strobes, and rear wig- wags. And I bumped the siren a couple of times for good measure.

And then wrote him for the tailgating, no valid insurance, and no registration receipt.

Thank you.

And I think you issued those citations to the high-beamer because he's an idiot, not necessarily because of his dangerous driving. But even so, once again, thank you.

A few weeks back, I almost started a thread on Cop Talk to ask how many of you issue citations for tailgating. Sometimes drivers get so close to my rear bumper all I see is grille. What if a child ran out in front of my car then and I had to slam on the brakes? What if I hit the brakes because I was about to miss my turn? These tailgating idiots watch too much NASCAR. Following another driver that closely is extremely dangerous. :steamed:

I hope you write 20 more "following-too-close" citations in the next week.

Bren
06-04-2011, 06:31

Depending on where you are and what's happening, the cop behind you may have been doing something a lot more important than a stop for running a stop sign, or he may have even been of duty. Some cities encourage off-duty officers to drive their cars around town, because it creates an illusion of more police on patrol, which has a deterrent effect on crime. It is impossible to drive a mile in a city without seeing a traffic violation when there are a lot of people out, so a police officer's whole day involves ignoring the lower priority stuff to get to the higher in bigger cities - othewrwise they'd spend a whole shift going down the street writing parking tickets and stuff.

pal2511
06-04-2011, 06:55
Maybe the cop was on glocktalk?

Maybe he was on the way to the station to get chewed out by his boss.

Maybe he just LEFT the station after being chewed out by his boss for stopping people that go through a rolling stop. Some agencies which are going to be nameless used to have it in their SOP NOT to stop cars if they were traveling at "walking speed" through stop signs.

It probably boils down to the officer just plain didn't see it or was on the way to something more important like the bathroom or something.

pal2511
06-04-2011, 06:58
Honestly, I probably would have let it go. A "California Roll" through a four way stop is pretty low on my personal "worth- getting- out- of- my- car" meter. Given that traffic should be stopped in all of the other directions, it's more of a traffic inconvenience than a traffic hazard. Nobody in that situation is going to get up enough of a head of steam to hurt anyone if there did happen to be a wreck.

But I was never much of a traffic goon anyway when I was on patrol. Sometimes I would sit and watch a stop sign, but you had to completely blow it for me to pull you over. I mean 25 mph+, never touched your brakes at all, kind of blow it.

However, my new ride is a silver Crown Vic with a big ol' radio antenna on it's butt and the blacked out "police interceptor" trim including the gaping black grille. I also keep my big blue "Kojak" light permanently affixed to my dash because it kept getting tangled up in the cord to my XM radio receiver when I would move it from the floor to the dash. The vast majority of drivers recognize my whip for what it is and give a wide berth. The only way it could be more "official" is if it had a lightbar on the roof.

That story almost brought a tear of happiness to my eye

eracer
06-04-2011, 07:02
I think the OP had a valid question about an incident that he observed and deserved to be educated respectfully. No reason to be mocking him about it, until he refuses to accept valid reasons why the officer might have overlooked the infraction.Which I have not done. Thank you.

I'll make one more assumption here, and then say 'Good-bye, and thanks for the thoughtful responses."

The guy who snuck through the intersection out of turn, committing a traffic infraction, is the kind of guy who thumbs his nose at traffic laws, and by corollary, at the police.

Kadetklapp
06-04-2011, 08:12
Which I have not done. Thank you.

I'll make one more assumption here, and then say 'Good-bye, and thanks for the thoughtful responses."

The guy who snuck through the intersection out of turn, committing a traffic infraction, is the kind of guy who thumbs his nose at traffic laws, and by corollary, at the police.

Ur last paragraph is likely spot on, but as was pointed out, we can't always do.something about it.

If I had observed the infraction and otherwise been unbusy, I would have loved to have a chat with him.

Pinki
06-04-2011, 08:29

OMG I'm so right there with you. I've now been hit 2x in the last 5 years (and one other that just couldn't see me -- big logging truck vs little Honda) by people who were not obeying traffic laws and I see quite a few drivers every day that seem to think they are above the traffic laws. In my opinion -- that's just the same as pointing a loaded gun (or maybe a game of Russian Roulette) at someone and just as deadly.

redneck1861
06-07-2011, 12:34

Just about every person that legally drives has some sort of traffic infraction everyday. We could drive behind you for whatever time period, and I guarantee we could find something to stop you for. What if he was on an emerengcy call that required him to go in soft, as in no lights/sirens?

Also around here with the county guys, when they issue cittions only $5.00 goes to the county, no matter what the citation is for. So unless it is something major, or the person being a turd, it is mostly warnings that are given.