Trying 1911 carry again. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trying 1911 carry again.

BuckyP
06-03-2011, 12:18
Every time I do, I wind up back with the G30. Up until now it made sense. I've been competing regularly with GLOCKs. I am switching to the 1911s (and 2011s) for the summer shoots. Think it makes sense to match the carry to what is frequently shot? :dunno:

So:

http://www.pollardfamily.net/al/kcvsg30.jpg ?

drc767
06-03-2011, 12:24
Both are great EDC platforms. After carrying a 1911 for so long, the Glocks feel thick to me. I think the 1911 platform is the most comfortable (with the right belt/holster rig) EDC there is.....although not the lightest. There are trade-offs either way. I really like the Sparks Executives Companion holsters......MUCH better than the VMII.

limbkiller
06-03-2011, 12:28
I vote for curtain #1 myself. Makes since to carry what you are shooting in competition. Not a glock fan though so my opinion is biased.

rsxr22
06-03-2011, 12:49
Definitely makes sense! I compete with a CQB and G34 everyweekend. So I rotate from carrying a EMP and G19

lsbbigdog
06-03-2011, 13:20
I recently switched from my G19 back to my CCO. For some reason it's easier for me in the summer. Probably because it's slimmer even though it's heavier.

BuckyP
06-03-2011, 15:07
Both are great EDC platforms. After carrying a 1911 for so long, the Glocks feel thick to me. I think the 1911 platform is the most comfortable (with the right belt/holster rig) EDC there is.....although not the lightest. There are trade-offs either way. I really like the Sparks Executives Companion holsters......MUCH better than the VMII.

Not a fan of the VMII either. It holds the gun too high. The pictured hostler is a TT Gunleather Mike's Special.

glock2740
06-03-2011, 18:05
Never tried a Sparks EC, but the VMII carried too high for me. That's why it resides at Hokies house now. :) I've been totin' a Glock of some form in a CBST so long that I'm really used to it, but I'm sure one day I'll find a good leather holster for my 1911's. :cool: If I can keep the damn grip screw heads from breaking off...:whistling:

:rofl:

GeorgiaRedfish
06-03-2011, 18:09
God that G30 looks thick next to that 1911

drc767
06-03-2011, 18:47
Not a fan of the VMII either. It holds the gun too high. The pictured hostler is a TT Gunleather Mike's Special.

I know.... I have a couple of Tim's holsters, including the Mike's Special. He does nice work.

CMG
06-03-2011, 19:32
I can't comfortably carry a full-size 1911. If the holster keeps the barrel from digging in when I'm sitting, it puts the grip too high. If the holster rides lower, every-time I sit down the muzzle hits the seat and pushes the gun up.

If I use a holster with a lot of cant, then I have to move it too far to the rear on my belt to keep it from printing really bad.

Since the compacts run great for me, with only a bit more diligence in maintenance, I carry the 3" guns. They make me :supergrin:

lsbbigdog
06-03-2011, 19:49
For me Crossbreed is the most comfortable IWB

BuckyP
06-03-2011, 20:00
I know.... I have a couple of Tim's holsters, including the Mike's Special. He does nice work.

How do you like your Mike's Special? Which model is your favorite of his?

thx.

drc767
06-03-2011, 20:01
How do you like your Mike's Special? Which model is your favorite of his?

thx.

I like the Slim IWB, which is basically the "Mike's Special" without the reinforced mouth.

I find the Nossar Gunleather IWB III to be the most comfortable IWB for me.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/WCNossar002.jpg

Boxerglocker
06-03-2011, 20:04
Every time I do, I wind up back with the G30. Up until now it made sense. I've been competing regularly with GLOCKs. I am switching to the 1911s (and 2011s) for the summer shoots. Think it makes sense to match the carry to what is frequently shot? :dunno:

I like to mix it up too... shooting ESP/Single stack this year with my Spartan 9mm so carrying my EMP9 as opposed to the G34 game gun G19 carry.

BuckyP
06-03-2011, 20:16
I like the Slim IWB, which is basically the "Mike's Special" without the reinforced mouth.

Yeah, hindsight says that may have been a better option.

I find the Nossar Gunleather IWB III to be the most comfortable IWB for me.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/WCNossar002.jpg

I really like that. Looking at their site now. So many holster makers make such high riding holster. Seems like most of his stuff rides nice and low.

drc767
06-03-2011, 20:19
Yeah, hindsight says that may have been a better option.

I really like that. Looking at their site now. So many holster makers make such high riding holster. Seems like most of his stuff rides nice and low.

It rides about as low as it can with perfect cant. Alex's stuff is top shelf, although a little hard to come by and tends to be on the spendy side. I would highly suggest biting the bullet if you can find one of his rigs. They really are THAT good.....The Valovak is another option if you like the dual loop design.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/IMG_3333.jpg

glock2740
06-03-2011, 21:18
It rides about as low as it can with perfect cant. Alex's stuff is top shelf, although a little hard to come by and tends to be on the spendy side. I would highly suggest biting the bullet if you can find one of his rigs. They really are THAT good.....The Valovak is another option if you like the dual loop design.

I like that rig alot Dave. :thumbsup:

BlayGlock
06-03-2011, 22:29
Certainly makes sense. I found my non-1911 carry nirvana in my H&K 45c. Almost same size as my G19. If I had found this gun first I may not have as many expensive 1911s as I do. I've switched to carrying it a lot and my SA Op occasionally. I'm going to start competing in IDPA again with the 45c.

I also found if I buy bulk reloading supplies I can reload .45 for about $150 per 1k rounds.

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/HK%2045c/HKvsG19001.jpg

This is my best group ever with it:

5 rounds at 10 yards unsupported:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/HK%2045c/45cTarget.jpg

Steel Head
06-03-2011, 22:50

That's a nice lookin holster.

samuse
06-03-2011, 22:58
I say: compete with whichever one is the most fun that day and carry whichever one you feel like carrying.

It seems like too many guys stay in hardcore training mode all the time, doing everything with their "EDC" stuff and fantasizing about SHTF and TEOTWAWKI and which handgun they're gonna save the world with.

This is the USA, enjoy your guns. If you've been shooting Glocks and 1911s for a long time, you're probably proficient enough with both to instinctively use either if the need should arise.

BuckyP
06-04-2011, 04:53
I say: compete with whichever one is the most fun that day and carry whichever one you feel like carrying.

It seems like too many guys stay in hardcore training mode all the time, doing everything with their "EDC" stuff and fantasizing about SHTF and TEOTWAWKI and which handgun they're gonna save the world with.

This is the USA, enjoy your guns. If you've been shooting Glocks and 1911s for a long time, you're probably proficient enough with both to instinctively use either if the need should arise.

Is that what I'm doing by attending shooting matches? And all that time I thought I was engaging in friendly competition amongst like minded people. :embarassed:

OT: Leaving soon for a good shoot with some top competitors (Dave Sevigny, BJ Norris, JJ Racaza). I expect them to "save the world" better than I. :tongueout:

Hokie1911
06-04-2011, 06:17
Bucky - just pretend the Zombiepocalypse is upon us and you will do fine. :supergrin:

samuse
06-04-2011, 15:42
Is that what I'm doing by attending shooting matches? And all that time I thought I was engaging in friendly competition amongst like minded people. :embarassed:

No, I didn't mean you in particular. It's just something I've noticed and have caught myself doing. I don't think you really need to stick with one platform or validate a carry choice. You've been shooting the Glock and the 1911 for a long time and you can probably run either one well enough to carry whichever suites your fancy that day.

I can shoot a Glock as well as I ever could and I really don't have a lot of fun with 'em for whatever reason, so I usually shoot a 1911 on Sunday and carry a Glock all week. Some would say that it's a poor practice, but I do it because I enjoy it.

woodrowNC
06-04-2011, 21:54
No, I didn't mean you in particular. It's just something I've noticed and have caught myself doing. I don't think you really need to stick with one platform or validate a carry choice. You've been shooting the Glock and the 1911 for a long time and you can probably run either one well enough to carry whichever suites your fancy that day.

I can shoot a Glock as well as I ever could and I really don't have a lot of fun with 'em for whatever reason, so I usually shoot a 1911 on Sunday and carry a Glock all week. Some would say that it's a poor practice, but I do it because I enjoy it.

roger that, sam. i switch all the time. the 1911 is ingrained. the g36 and 26 is simply a revolver with a 5.5 trigger. nothing more. no more than someone carrying a 642 bug.

drc767
06-05-2011, 06:41
roger that, sam. i switch all the time. the 1911 is ingrained. the g36 and 26 is simply a revolver with a 5.5 trigger. nothing more. no more than someone carrying a 642 bug.

I will occasionally throw a Glock on my waist and kind of laugh to myself when I sweep for the safety out of habit.

CaptJim
06-05-2011, 19:06
I can't comfortably carry a full-size 1911. If the holster keeps the barrel from digging in when I'm sitting, it puts the grip too high. If the holster rides lower, every-time I sit down the muzzle hits the seat and pushes the gun up.

If I use a holster with a lot of cant, then I have to move it too far to the rear on my belt to keep it from printing really bad.

Since the compacts run great for me, with only a bit more diligence in maintenance, I carry the 3" guns. They make me :supergrin:

Very similar to my experience with full and commander length 1911's.

When shooting in a USPSA match and drawing from an OWB Kydex holster, I could not want a better firearm to compete with than a good quality 5" 1911. However, in an IWB (even a low ride like the Brommeland Max-Con), I have to draw the 1911 almost to the armpit to clear leather (and I am long-waisted). The firing grip is sometimes off and can result in the grip safety not being fully depressed requiring a readjustment.

If I get in a really big hurry, I can try to bring the gun on target before the muzzle is completely clear of the holster and it will bind and require extra time.

Shorter guns just present much faster for me. And for self defense ranges and IWB carry, I think they are a better solution. A 3" 1911 or other similar gun can be drawn from concealment lickety-split, and in a SD situation we are in a reactive position and behind the 8-ball to start with. The extra speed and maneuverability may be critical.

Just MHO,

Jim

samuse
06-05-2011, 20:01
I will occasionally throw a Glock on my waist and kind of laugh to myself when I sweep for the safety out of habit.

I do it all the time too.

Kegs
06-05-2011, 20:06
If I ever buy another pistol it will be of the 1911 or 2011 variety - commander sized only...preferably in 10mm, and if not in 10mm, in 9x23 Winchester.

I would prefer to carry a 1911 over a Glock, since for me they point much more naturally than the Glock, plus they have that sweet, single action trigger.

I have to admit my enjoyment of the 10mm though, and I do not want another 5" pistol.

Commander would be the only size I would ever consider purchasing.

front strap must be checkered, nice and sharp.

I don't know where to buy a gun like that and even if I did, I don't have the money for it.

AWMP
06-06-2011, 18:37
I switch between, 1911 and S&W M&Ps with thumb safety. I have M&Ps in 9mm full size and .45acp mid size, but my 1911s have been my standard carry 80% of the time.
All of my 1911s are commander size. S&W 1911pd (great carry), Nighthawk Talon II and just picked up a Colt 1911 Commander Lightweight in 38 Super (on its way to the COLT custom shop).
One thing I do hate about 1911s they are addictive!