U.S. Marshall [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Marshall

GlockerMike
06-03-2011, 23:01
We were watching some investigative show tonight and a U.S. Marshall found a suspect and the FBI took over to do the interrogation. My wife asked who is "higher up" a U.S. Marshall or an FBI agent. I told her I had no clue, but I could sure find out from my secret cop stash. Is there a "hierarchy", and who ranks higher?

trdvet
06-03-2011, 23:47
It's Marshal and one can not pull rank on the other since they don't even work for the same agency. If the FBI is investigating a scene then they are running it and it would be wise to do what they say. If the Marshals are going after a fugitive then they would be running the show and if the FBI had someone tag along then they would fall under the Marshal in charge.

It would be like saying a Trooper is a higher rank than a Deputy or a City Patrolman. The correct answer is, it depends on the situation.

Cochese
06-04-2011, 00:47
We were watching some investigative show tonight and a U.S. Marshall found a suspect and the FBI took over to do the interrogation. My wife asked who is "higher up" a U.S. Marshall or an FBI agent. I told her I had no clue, but I could sure find out from my secret cop stash. Is there a "hierarchy", and who ranks higher?

The USMS typically handles fugitive apprehension and the FBI investigates stuff.

DustyJacket
06-04-2011, 06:09
Yup.
It is not about "rank", it is about job function.

walkin' trails
06-04-2011, 10:53
If he was an FBI futgitive, then they'd be the ones to do the interrogation. The USMS wouldn't have details of the case, just the info they needed to grab the crook.

Sam Spade
06-04-2011, 12:22
Yup.
It is not about "rank", it is about job function.

Dingdingding!

The US has carefully avoided establishing anything like a national police force or rankings. In fedland, there are a whole pile of Special Agents. (Think "special" as opposed to "general", such as when you write a power of attorney.) Very, very narrow focus in most agencies and one of the reasons for the multi-agency task forces---they have to go broad, just to get expertise.

GlockerMike
06-04-2011, 12:37
Thanks, guys.