1911s are Unreliable! [Say some, why?] [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911s are Unreliable! [Say some, why?]

ptmccain
06-04-2011, 09:29
OK, so I've been hanging out in five or six different gun forums and in every case there is a group of people who claim that the 1911 is "unreliable" and so forth.

Why?

I don't fully understand what they are talking about...and it seems those who say it the most know the very least about 1911s.

Your thoughts?

JGguns
06-04-2011, 09:32
Hater's:rofl:

lawdog734
06-04-2011, 09:46
The 1911 is a generic term. Glocks are only made by glock, sig makes sig, Hk makes Hk, and so on. 1911s though are made by hundreds of companies. Some companies don't have the quality control that others have. As you stated those that know less about the gun say the gun is junk, it's usually cause they have only ever owned one and it was from a company with poor QC. I would put my guncrafters no name up against any gun out there as far as dependability and accuracy. But as JGguns said haters going to hate.

bac1023
06-04-2011, 09:47
OK, so I've been hanging out in five or six different gun forums and in every case there is a group of people who claim that the 1911 is "unreliable" and so forth.

Why?

I don't fully understand what they are talking about...and it seems those who say it the most know the very least about 1911s.

Your thoughts?

You summed it up yourself. They don't know what they're talking about.

I get a kick out of it, quite frankly. You see a great deal of that in our own General Glocking forum.

bac1023
06-04-2011, 09:49
The 1911 is a generic term. Glocks are only made by glock, sig makes sig, Hk makes Hk, and so on. 1911s though are made by hundreds of companies. Some companies don't have the quality control that others have. As you stated those that know less about the gun say the gun is junk, it's usually cause they have only ever owned one and it was from a company with poor QC. I would put my guncrafters no name up against any gun out there as far as dependability and accuracy. But as JGguns said haters going to hate.

That's a big part of it as well, though I believe general quality has gotten better from most companies as of late.

GJ1981
06-04-2011, 09:52
A day off and sick, I guess I can have some :popcorn:

faawrenchbndr
06-04-2011, 09:53
Taurus lovers! :rofl:

bac1023
06-04-2011, 10:17

:animlol:

HotRoderX
06-04-2011, 10:18

Right there sums it up pretty will.

BlayGlock
06-04-2011, 10:38
It is just the same inane repeating of the same inane internet misinformation. Like .45 is a one shot stop while 9mm will take 7-8 ect.

okie
06-04-2011, 10:44
A day off and sick, I guess I can have some :popcorn:

Sorry you are sick my friend, I hope you get well quickly:angel:

okie
06-04-2011, 10:47
I've heard people say bad things about 1911's because they won't eat every kind of ammo out there. John designed the 1911 to shoot 230gr hardball, why would you get mad because it won't feed semi wad cutters, that's like getting mad at your gasoline car because you cant run diesel in it:headscratch::dunno:

ancient_serpent
06-04-2011, 10:51
I hear alot of bad stuff about Kimber on the internet. The two I have along with the one I bought for my middle brother have been great guns. Picked up a Warrior (for me), a Desert Warrior (for my brother) and a Pro CDP II (for me). Got about 5k through the Warrior and about 2k through the CDP with no problems.
I think as long as you do the proper maintenance on your equipment, you'll be fine.

Jim S.
06-04-2011, 11:02
I always laugh at the generalized statements people make about guns like the 1911.
I've owned many over my life time and have never had one that didn't run reliably.
Sure the older ones that were not meant to shoot wad cutters or big hollow points might have a problem but I look at it as you, the owner needs to be smarter than the gun.
I also believe that most 1911's need to be owned by someone who isn't inept about working on guns and doing some required maintenance or tweaking if needed.
Glocks are for those who just want to put gas in and go.
Nothing wrong with that just that I'm a guy who likes to work on things and change things.
Rarely keep things factory stock.
Just because there are some poor quality guns out there surely doesn't mean that all of them are a problem.
I know better.
I also have become very tolerant and understanding of the 1911 nay sayers.
Buy a Glock and leave the 1911's for those of us who appreciate them.

faawrenchbndr
06-04-2011, 11:07
......I also have become very tolerant and understanding of the 1911 nay sayers.
Buy a Glock and leave the 1911's for those of us who appreciate them.

Yep,.....but they need to understand, Glocks aren't so Perfect now days.
They jam, they don't feed, FTRTB, & oh yea,.......they blow the eF up! :wow:

akapennypincher
06-04-2011, 11:09

Why?

Your thoughts?

Some companies let the End Use be their QC, some Companies Spend all their money on Advertising, not QC. The Writers in the Gun Rags are afraid to say XYZ BRAND is CRAP because of Civil Litigation.

DustyJacket
06-04-2011, 11:15
Back in the 70s my Chief had a Gold Cup - a very tight gun that had not been shot in (broken in) and it caused him problems, so he banned the use of autoloaders in the department and repeated his story to everyone. So that is how some of the hate started.

Also, M1911A1 were developed for ball ammo, and when people started using wadcutters and hollowpoints there were issues, whuch got corrected years later.

And the stories of unreliability continued to grow.

List like the flinchers and folks shooting worn out military surplussed guns gave rise to the myths of inaccuracy.........

The 1970s were not that good in terms M1911s being accepted a lot.......

drc767
06-04-2011, 11:15
Some companies let the End Use be their QC, some Companies Spend all their money on Advertising, not QC. The Writers in the Gun Rags are afraid to say XYZ BRAND is CRAP because of Civil Litigation.

Huh???

limbkiller
06-04-2011, 11:48
Huh???

:rofl:

mrsurfboard
06-04-2011, 11:52

A lot of Kimber owners, me included, disagree with you. My Kimber runs fine.

faawrenchbndr
06-04-2011, 11:54
Who's the dill-weed that's giving away all the fishing licenses for the 1911 forums? :rant:

Ruggles
06-04-2011, 12:07
Huh???

I will see your huh??? And raise you a huh? So huh huh????? :supergrin:

I would also like to add that Kimber make a fine 1911 in my opinion. :wavey:

bigdogmurph
06-04-2011, 12:35
I have a Springfield Armory 1911, the gun is tight and the trigger is fine but the magizines suck. I got $820 in this gun and I am not happy with it. FTF on first shot unless round is positioned absolutly correct and will FTF on second round from time to time as well as third round with hardball and hollow points . I would happily trade it for any two Glocks if someone is interested.

faawrenchbndr
06-04-2011, 12:37
What mags are you using? Ever think of getting new mags or changing ammo?

mrsurfboard
06-04-2011, 12:37
I have a Springfield Armory 1911, the gun is tight and the trigger is fine but the magizines suck. I got $820 in this gun and I am not happy with it. FTF on first shot unless round is positioned absolutly correct and will FTF on second round from time to time as well as third round with hardball and hollow points . I would happily trade it for any two Glocks if someone is interested.

Then why don't you try new magazines?

bigdogmurph
06-04-2011, 12:40
new mags were suggested. but would just as soon get rid of the gun.

bigdogmurph
06-04-2011, 12:41
the mags ar the ones that came with the gun

El_Ron1
06-04-2011, 12:44
Many Americans are simply incapable of operating and maintaining machinery anymore. Parents, schools and governments have conspired to give children easier lives by tasking them with less knowledge and responsibility.

woodrowNC
06-04-2011, 12:54
I hear alot of bad stuff about Kimber on the internet. The two I have along with the one I bought for my middle brother have been great guns. Picked up a Warrior (for me), a Desert Warrior (for my brother) and a Pro CDP II (for me). Got about 5k through the Warrior and about 2k through the CDP with no problems.
I think as long as you do the proper maintenance on your equipment, you'll be fine.

nope. proper maintenance will not cure a gun manufactured out of spec. bad ones get thru, as in all mass production items. there are bad one's made and no amount of proper maintenance is gonna make it run.

woodrowNC
06-04-2011, 13:00

that is absolutely senseless.

bigdogmurph
06-04-2011, 13:06
Woodrow, so be it.

faawrenchbndr
06-04-2011, 13:10

Yep,.......only makes sense. If you are unhappy with it and do not care to
try and get it running reliably, then I guess it would make sense to sell it.

ptmccain
06-04-2011, 13:13
For what it is worth, when I got my Springfield Armory Loaded, I took it out to the range and had several FTE and FTF with the original mags that came with it, and lets face it, they are pretty cheapos. I got a couple of KimberPro mags, then a McCormick, then most recently I picked up ten KimberPro Tac Mags and...

I have not had a single issue since with any of the magazines.