S&W Model 64 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 64

Sam Spade
06-04-2011, 16:15
Okay old farts and gun guys. Looking for some advice and feedback.

I'm considering buying a Model 64. J&G Sales has several flavors of old ("new" or "recent" if you're named after a blackpowder pistol and have someone's bust size in your screen name) police trade-ins in stock: http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smith-wesson/revolver/cPath/16_211_431

Someone tell me about the relative utility of square vs round butt and any pluses to the NY1 flavor? TIA

razdog76
06-04-2011, 17:04
Well, the round butts are slightly easier to conceal, and IMHO is the way to go because there are a plethora of companies that make grips to fit it with the square butt external profile. Just gives a little more flexibility.

As far as NY-1 triggers go, I believe they are DA only, and in the 12# neighborhood. If the price is right, you will likely need to replace all of the springs anyway.

If your are interested in a decent S&W revolver, may I suggest a model 65, same features as the 64 except the ability to shoot .357 too, but either are fine guns.

Patchman
06-04-2011, 17:13
if you're named after a blackpowder pistol and have someone's bust size in your screen name

I do believe, technically, bust sizes are measured in A, B, C, D, etc... I could be wrong but I'm not going to get into a tit-for-tat argument over it.

Vigilant
06-04-2011, 18:32
I do believe, technically, bust sizes are measured in A, B, C, D, etc... I could be wrong but I'm not going to get into a tit-for-tat argument over it.

I suspect the OP was intentionally beating around the bush to avoid an ass beating. :rofl:

Vigilant
06-04-2011, 18:40
That's probably about what you would pay on Gunbroker. IMHO, buying a used revolver on the Internet is a bit risky. I have no idea what it would take to resolve a timing issue, for example, but that would be a deal breaker for me.

I would look for a round butt M65 with a 3 inch barrel. There should be plenty om Gunbroker. Or, with an M64, I would think you would be safe with .38 +P+. Does anyone know for sure on this?

Edit:

Here is an M64 that I found at a glance on Gunbroker. Looks like the prices are fairly similar, although the M65s are solid gold now.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=231529552

I would stick with Gunbroker for a used service revolver, and deal with a seller that has a lot of good feedback. I would also stay away from models like this one with a dash after the model. NCDOC had a bunch of M65s with the dash, and they were pure junk. The older Smiths, without the dash, are still good, solid guns.

Patchman
06-04-2011, 18:47
I suspect the OP was intentionally beating around the bush to avoid an ass beating. :rofl:

That may be true, but nevertheless, he got busted. :whistling:

Berto
06-04-2011, 18:49
Not a LE guy, but I can speak for the 64.
I love the thing, it's a NY1 config, has about a 10lb DAO trigger and is very smooth.
+P ammo should be cake in any numbered model K frame (generally speaking, post WWII).
Last time out, I ran a box of +P 135gr Gold Dots from it at the local outdoor range, shooting at 25yrds. The sights are dead-on with 158gr as you'd expect, but the 135gr is pretty close enough from the heavy barreled 4" guns.
I like the sq butt with a Tyler insert, prefer round on the K frame snubby.

http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/4610/specials005.jpg

Very easy gun to shoot fast and accurate if you're familiar with DA revolver triggers.

Vigilant
06-04-2011, 18:54
That may be true, but nevertheless, he got busted. :whistling:

I knew it. I try to say something constructive, and along comes some weisenheimer.... :supergrin:

BamaTrooper
06-04-2011, 18:57

Well just keep us abreast of the situation.

BamaTrooper
06-04-2011, 19:00
Sam, I have a pair of round butt 65s that are 3" guns and a sb 4" 13. The rbs are a little easier to conceal. The actions are nice but I don't have the DAO modifications; I suppose you could replace the hammer if you wanted.

Sam Spade
06-04-2011, 19:06
Thanks, guys, keep it coming (and PG).

I understand the perils in the Internet. J&G is a (long) day trip for me, and I'll be able to fondle ahead of purchase, so I can hunt for the gun that calls my name. I'm wondering more about carry and handling and shooting traits.

Maybe I'll visit Bucky's statue while I'm there.

Berto
06-04-2011, 19:11
+1 on the fondle first.
Rnd butts are nicer to fondle, the DA shooting works better with the Sq butt.
HTH.:supergrin:

m2hmghb
06-04-2011, 19:31
Round butts are easier to conceal and have smaller grips. Round butts are mainly on the shorter barrel guns for that reason. There are grips that are made for the round butt that make it into the square butt profile. In addition Hogue makes a grip that completely wraps around the round grip. I have both and prefer the round butt because of the versatility. As for the NY trigger setup I can't say, I've never handled one.

Ajon412
06-04-2011, 21:32
Thanks, guys, keep it coming (and PG).

I understand the perils in the Internet. J&G is a (long) day trip for me, and I'll be able to fondle ahead of purchase, so I can hunt for the gun that calls my name. I'm wondering more about carry and handling and shooting traits.

Maybe I'll visit Bucky's statue while I'm there.

I carried Mod.10 4" and 2" in both round and square butt for many years. They're cousins of the 65 and, as mentioned, the RB is a tad easier to conceal. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either one and they're extremely accurate with 158gr rounds. Let us know which version you decide to purchase....:wavey:

Mayhem like Me
06-04-2011, 21:54
My vote is round butt bobbed hammer...with the round butt you can use either grip size

I have a 3 inch 65 basically the same gun but a magnum. I wore it for two years as my ankle gun

mikegun
06-05-2011, 00:22
I carried Mod.10 4" and 2" in both round and square butt for many years. They're cousins of the 65 and, as mentioned, the RB is a tad easier to conceal. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either one and they're extremely accurate with 158gr rounds. Let us know which version you decide to purchase....:wavey:

i carried a mod 19 4in and 2.5 in for 20 yrs ref to transition to auto as i wishedf to keep wheelgun, pulled it off for 20 plus yrs, then forced intop Smith 9mm auto...i just shot the revolver better and did not feel i needed all the bullets...

EOD3
06-05-2011, 02:42
The model 64 isn't my cup of tea but, I'm a big fan of the model 65 with a 3" barrel.

ChiefWPD
06-05-2011, 08:43
Sam:

The S&W 64 is one of the finest revolvers made. If you should get one that shoots right on point of aim you should keep it forever. They are very, very accurate handguns (with the right ammo, of course). My old service revolver (model 10, the blued version of the 64) is my favorite handgun (and I own a bunch...). On occasion I would use it for testing ammo accuracy (via a Ransom Rest) at the Firearms & Tactics Section outdoor range. With the right ammo it would put all it's rounds in less than a 1" circle at 25 yards. Really.

Round butt or square? Can't go wrong with either one. I own, among other revolvers, a 4" model 19 with a round butt and a couple of model 10s with square. Love 'em all.

Go buy one. Trust me on this one. :wavey:

Ajon412
06-05-2011, 10:52
Sam:

The S&W 64 is one of the finest revolvers made. If you should get one that shoots right on point of aim you should keep it forever. They are very, very accurate handguns (with the right ammo, of course). My old service revolver (model 10, the blued version of the 64) is my favorite handgun (and I own a bunch...). On occasion I would use it for testing ammo accuracy (via a Ransom Rest) at the Firearms & Tactics Section outdoor range. With the right ammo it would put all it's rounds in less than a 1" circle at 25 yards. Really.

Round butt or square? Can't go wrong with either one. I own, among other revolvers, a 4" model 19 with a round butt and a couple of model 10s with square. Love 'em all.

:agree: I kick myself for selling off my Mod. 10 / M&P 2" and 4" revolvers. When my former agency switched over to semi-autos, guys were practically giving them away......:faint:

BamaTrooper
06-05-2011, 10:56
Chief, I have been thinking about getting 3 or 4 of the J&G 64s to have as loaners and camp guns and trainers and such. They are so simple, so reliable, I can't think of a better starting gun.

Lots of 158 SWC and RN reloads for practice and I would love to find some 158 LSWCHP.

ChiefWPD
06-05-2011, 12:11
Chief, I have been thinking about getting 3 or 4 of the J&G 64s to have as loaners and camp guns and trainers and such. They are so simple, so reliable, I can't think of a better starting gun.

Lots of 158 SWC and RN reloads for practice and I would love to find some 158 LSWCHP.

Sounds like a plan. Plenty of LSWCHP +P out there. Hit some of the internet sites.

Best,

:wavey:

razdog76
06-05-2011, 12:57

Easy to see when it is loaded, and very easy to make safe too.

SpoiledBySig
06-05-2011, 17:27

The S&W Model 64 was my first issued hand gun (1983). At those prices ($300.00),it sounds like a great deal no matter what you get. I just can't remember if we were issued the round butt or square? I went to a S&W Model 67 in 1985 (really loved that revolver also and bought it from the dept. for $100.00).

I just didn't pay much details to guns until like 1987, when we went to auto pistols- S&W 6906, then later 5906.

I just don't think you can go wrong with any of those Model 64 Revolvers.

turretg
06-05-2011, 20:08
I was a premise guard with a armored money branch for 11 years, and the Company issued Model 64's. I found it reliable and accurate.

David Armstrong
06-06-2011, 09:49
Another big + for the Model 64. As mentioned, go with the RB as you can get grips that give it the Square butt configuration, but not the reverse. The NY flavor converted the gun to DA-only. My favorite of the genre is a Model 65 4" round butt.

Of course, if you really want to be stylish, I notice they have some Model 10's with the 5" skinny barrel!

ChrisJn
06-06-2011, 10:49
I'm one of those old farts you mentioned.
Carried a Model 64 2" for years through the '60s to 80's as a detective in London. Loved it. Very accurate. Didn't like the original wooden grips though, swapped them out for Pachmyer or Hogue round butt, can't remember which.
The price seems a steal if you get a good one.

lens
06-09-2011, 11:02
Sam:

When I first joined the PD, this was the issue gun. I kick myself because when they traded them in for the Beretta 92FS, the Chief called me and asked if I wanted any of the revolvers for $100 each. I passed.

Many years later my Wife decides she wants to own some of her own guns and buys a 64-3 (for a lot more money!) that was a PD turn-in from some other department. I had a trigger job done on it ($45) and it is a very sweet shooter. I use it to train students who need to qualify to get their MA LTC for Boston (Boston & Brookline require range tests with revolvers).

Great gun and very reliable. Lots of S&W Certified gunsmiths around if you find that it needs some work. I don't like that they bobbed the hammer however, but even that is easily replaceable if desired.

Ajon412
06-09-2011, 11:08
Hey Sam, have you made a decision??:wavey:

Sam Spade
06-09-2011, 15:47
Hey Sam, have you made a decision??:wavey:

Yes-ish. If the supply holds and the fires don't get even more out of control, I plan on a trip next weekend. I'm shopping for a 4" round butt with smooth trigger for sure. Condition is first consideration, but if I can find some interesting Dept markings on top of that, it'll be extra-good.

I'm also going to take David's advice and look hard at a 5" Model 10. If that works out, I'll run with it. Otherwise, maybe a second 64 as a twin.

BamaTrooper
06-09-2011, 16:02
Gulf States Distributors in Montgomery AL has a rb 2.5" model 19, several (4?) 3" rb 65s and a about 6 2" sb model 10s that they are putting on Gun Broker)

EOD3
06-09-2011, 16:22
Many years ago, I bought (IIRC) a model 15-2 for my oldest son. It was a sweet shooter with a smooth, not light, DA pull and a single action trigger good enough for competition. It was basically a "heavier" version of the model 10.

Where is it today, who knows. He "foolishly" traded it for a S&W pistol a few years ago. Wish he'd asked me first, I'd have traded him a similar pistol in a hot second. :miff:

BamaTrooper
06-10-2011, 08:31
Many years ago, I bought (IIRC) a model 15-2 for my oldest son. It was a sweet shooter with a smooth, not light, DA pull and a single action trigger good enough for competition. It was basically a "heavier" version of the model 10.

Where is it today, who knows. He "foolishly" traded it for a S&W pistol a few years ago. Wish he'd asked me first, I'd have traded him a similar pistol in a hot second. :miff:

15 has adjustable sights fixed sights are blue/nickel 10s 13s, and stainless 64s 65s and some others in different frames and calibers.

EOD3
06-10-2011, 12:36
As soon as I see Kalifornia in my rear-view mirror, I'll go back to "acquiring" the older S&W revolvers. I don't care for the lock/floating firing pin revolvers but I expect there will be a bunch of classic Smiths on the market around tax-day.

Ajon412
06-13-2011, 12:11
Yes-ish. If the supply holds and the fires don't get even more out of control, I plan on a trip next weekend. I'm shopping for a 4" round butt with smooth trigger for sure. Condition is first consideration, but if I can find some interesting Dept markings on top of that, it'll be extra-good.

I'm also going to take David's advice and look hard at a 5" Model 10. If that works out, I'll run with it. Otherwise, maybe a second 64 as a twin.

Hey Sam.....Is this gonna be a carry gun or a weekend "plinker"?? Keep us posted....:wavey:

fla2760
06-13-2011, 17:55
Not a LE guy, but I can speak for the 64.
I love the thing, it's a NY1 config, has about a 10lb DAO trigger and is very smooth.
+P ammo should be cake in any numbered model K frame (generally speaking, post WWII).
Last time out, I ran a box of +P 135gr Gold Dots from it at the local outdoor range, shooting at 25yrds. The sights are dead-on with 158gr as you'd expect, but the 135gr is pretty close enough from the heavy barreled 4" guns.
I like the sq butt with a Tyler insert, prefer round on the K frame snubby.

http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/4610/specials005.jpg

Very easy gun to shoot fast and accurate if you're familiar with DA revolver triggers.

This is a very good review, the Smith Model 64 is a fine revolver.:thumbsup:

smokeross
06-14-2011, 10:42
I bought a 64 ex cop gun off GB just to keep at the GF's house in town. She couldn't understand at first why I insisted on keeping a firearm with me at her place until the neighbors fight in the apt. building next door ended up out in the street. Plus I discussed with her how she would feel if a kid was getting tore up by loose dogs or trampled by a moose and all she had was a broom.
She took to shooting the 64 and now it looks like it is hers.
Love that 64. I also have a 10 and a 686. The 686 I bought from a cop.
We can talk later about my 4" 29 4 screw, or some of my other S&W's.

PROSOUTH
06-14-2011, 15:57
Many years ago, I bought (IIRC) a model 15-2 for my oldest son. Where is it today, who knows. He "foolishly" traded it for a S&W pistol a few years ago. Wish he'd asked me first, I'd have traded him a similar pistol in a hot second. :miff:

That's ironic, my son just brought me in a Model 15-3 4" and my Armorer has it going through it. He's putting a hone and polish with a spring kit in it. It already had a trigger shoe on it and I'm looking for an old school Tyler "T" grip to go with it.

My son is going to want this puppy back when he see's it next, LoL, but he ain't gettin' it !!!!

3Speedyfish3
06-14-2011, 18:06
My department issued Model 64's when I was hired 23 years ago. I just went out and bought one to keep in the safe. It just feels like a real gun.

Sam Spade
07-02-2011, 17:08
Well, let's close the loop. After a few hurdles caused by criminals, I took a trip out of the desert and into the mountains of Prescott (rhymes with "biscuit" if you're a 'zonie). Paid homage at the O'Neil statue, ate on Whiskey Row, and hit the shop.

All the 5" Model 10s were gone, as were the NY-1 variants of the 64. I pawed over the 4" roundbutts (not seeing any with Dept markings). I settled on what they rated as a mid-grade M64-5. This is a pre-lock, pre-MIM gun. It was dirty, by which I mean dirt, not carbon. The bore, chambers and forcing cone were gleaming, though. I wouldn't be surprised if this gun was shot once a year at quals, and then reluctantly. Smooth combat trigger, a teeeny bit off-center as shown by frame-rub scratches on one side. DAO, with factory bobbed hammer; no way to cock it SA. Pachmyer grips were well-worn, especially on the right (exposed) side.

I bought it, I cleaned it, and I'm really pretty impressed with the condition of the gun. I was planning on bead-blasting it, but no need. I replaced the old Pachmeyers with Hogue monogrips that expose the backstrap and.....

....Holy Revolving Cylinder, Batman! This thing now points like an extention of my arm! I can focus on a target, close my eyes and punch out, then open my eyes to find the sights on a 3x5 at 7 yards. It's obvious that the Jordan fellow knew a thing or two. I'd had a 3" M65, and it was okay with the issue stocks, but no great shakes. The 4" with Hogues, though: Wow.

DA trigger is very clean and smooth. It has 3 distinct points in it as the cylinder advances. Even having just gotten the gun, about 80% of the time I can stage the trigger with the cylinder advanced and locked, then apply another pound to drop the hammer. This makes slow fire at distance doable, even with the DAO trigger. Up close, going cyclic is no problem with the trigger weight. Yup, Jordan knew some things. I can win fights with this one.

Research tells me it's wholly rated for +P, and the SA/DA hammer is a drop in if I want it. Next trip to the range is some careful shooting, now that I got the go-ape release out of my system. I'll let you know how accurate it is. I may even get a photobucket account so I can take and post pictures, but that's not really me.

Swatbwana, if you're reading this: go for it. I shoulda bought several for the stash-it-knock-around project. Planned social ammo is 135gr Gold Dot. Sweet gun.

m2hmghb
07-02-2011, 17:14
Well, let's close the loop. After a few hurdles caused by criminals, I took a trip out of the desert and into the mountains of Prescott (rhymes with "biscuit" if you're a 'zone). Paid homage at the O'Neil statue, ate on Whiskey Row, and hit the shop.

All the 5" Model 10s were gone, as were the NY-1 variants of the 64. I pawed over the 4" roundbutts (not seeing any with Dept markings). I settled on what the rated as a mid-grade M64-5. This is a pre-lock, pre-MIM gun. It was dirty, by which I mean dirt, not carbon. The bore, chambers and forcing cone were gleaming, though. I wouldn't be surprised if this gun was shot once a year at quals, and then reluctantly. Smooth combat trigger, a teeeny bit off-center as shown by frame-rub scratches on one side. DAO, with factory bobbed hammer; no way to cock it SA. Pachmyer grips were well-worn, especially on the right (exposed) side.

I bought it, I cleaned it, and I'm really pretty impressed with the condition of the gun. I was planning on bead-blasting it, but no need. I replaced the old Pachmyers with Hogue monogrips that expose the backstrap and.....

....Holy Revolving Cylinder, Batman! This thing now points like an extention of my arm! I can focus on a target, close my eyes and punch out, then open my eyes to find the sights on a 3x5 at 7 yards. It's obvious that the Jordan fellow knew a thing or two. I'd had a 3" M65, and it was okay with the issue stocks, but no great shakes. The 4" with Hogues, though: Wow.

DA trigger is very clean and smooth. It has 3 distinct points in it as the cylinder advances. Even having just gotten the gun, about 80% of the time I can stage the trigger with the cylinder advanced and locked, then apply another pound to drop the hammer. This makes slow fire at distance doable, even with the DAO trigger. Up close, going cyclic is no problem with the trigger weight. Yup, Jordan knew some things. I can win fights with this one.

Research tells me it's wholly rated for +P, and the SA/DA hammer is a drop in if I want it. Next trip to the range is some careful shooting, now that I got the go-ape release out of my system. I'll let you know how accurate it is. I may even get a photobucket account so I can take and post pictures, but that's not really me.

Swatbwana, if you're reading this: go for it. I shoulda bought several for the stash-it-knock-around project. Planned social ammo is 135gr Gold Dot. Sweet gun.

Congrats on the purchase Sam! I hope you enjoy her quite a bit! One thing, the hammer may or may not drop in, it may need to be fit. There are some things that can go wrong, so if you do get one make sure you fire several hundred rounds before you "trust" it.

DaBigBR
07-03-2011, 12:28
Cool! Glad you got one!

I shot my 686 during my last trip to the range...forgot how much fun that was.

razdog76
07-03-2011, 13:20
:needspics:

Sam, you know the rule!

Jene
07-04-2011, 10:15
The model 64 was my first department issued gun in 1982... loved it. When we switched to 9mm in the late 80's, we had the chance to buy them. Still have mine, and can shoot it better then my semi auto sometimes!! Get one, you wont regret it.

cowboywannabe
07-04-2011, 10:53
i have four model 64s, two 2", one 3" and one 4".

the 2 and 3 inchers are round butts, easier to conceal IWB and you can still use some SB grips with them.

one of my 2" is a Calif Dept of Corrections trade in that flooded the market about two years ago.....timing and lock up were very good, the trigger was smooth but a bit stiff (for a classic S&W) and some holster and scuff type marks....all the signs of carried a lot and shot very little.