Rough checkering on revolver hammer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rough checkering on revolver hammer

FL Airedale
06-04-2011, 16:42
My dad has a S&W revolver. He likes to shoot it single action but the checkering on the hammer is so rough it wears through the skin in his thumb in short order. I tried it myself and he is right, it's very rough, you could even say a little sharp.

My thought was to get out the Dremel and smooth it out a bit. I'm not a gunsmith and I'd like an expert's opinion before I take a power tool to a $600 revolver.

Thanks!

HarveyatPC
06-04-2011, 17:56
Have you tried some emery cloth or emery board? You can get light touch with them. The Dremel can eat a lot of material fast.

FL Airedale
06-04-2011, 20:05
Have you tried some emery cloth or emery board? You can get light touch with them. The Dremel can eat a lot of material fast.

No, I haven't done anything to it yet. The emery cloth/board is a good suggestion. I'll give it a try.

cciman
06-04-2011, 20:27
File away until it is to your liking.

Or fill it in with silicone caulk, then you can easily remove it when it is time to sell.

TH237
06-05-2011, 06:48
If you decide to sand or file on it, remove it first to avoid getting abrasives in the mechanism. Probably the most I would personally do is use a piece of 400 grit to take just the top of the points off.

harleyfx69
06-05-2011, 14:14
If you decide to sand or file on it, remove it first to avoid getting abrasives in the mechanism. Probably the most I would personally do is use a piece of 400 grit to take just the top of the points off.

something tells me that if he doesnt know how to do or what to use to smooth out some checkering on a hammer if he did that a local smith would get a box of smith parts back in asking nicely to put back together..

If you feel the need use some masking tape around the hammer and frame meeting area,

Then use fine sand paper / emery board, etc like mentioned to smooth it down a hair,

also you will lose the top finish off the hammer, and it will be bare metal, so it wouldnt hurt to touch up with cold blue or something similar , but it wont match the most likely case hardened finish

FL Airedale
06-05-2011, 14:23
Actually, I'm confident I can take apart a S&W revolver and put it back together again. I got some experience when I fell in a river while carrying a S&W revolver. :embarassed:

It would be easier to use masking tape than disassemble it, so that's what I'd do. It's stainless so the finish shouldn't look bad. The hammer spur isn't bright silver like the rest of the gun so it should look okay.

The decision will be my Dad's. It's his gun and if he wants me to do a little filing on his hammer, I'm happy to do it. I'm thinking he'll want to do it himself.

FL Airedale
06-05-2011, 14:42
I just called him and told him about the emery board and masking tape. He's got his masking tape and he's looking for an emery board right now.

Thanks for the suggestions!

FL Airedale
06-27-2011, 19:01
It took him 22 days to get around to it, but my dad did use an emery board on the hammer spur and is very pleased with the result.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

DWARREN123
06-27-2011, 19:54
Probably the best thing to use is a fine stone as in knife shapening. If he is happy with it that is all that matters.