Mining for info on Buffalo Grove, IL [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mining for info on Buffalo Grove, IL

msu_grad_121
06-04-2011, 18:25
Okay, I tested, passed, and have more or less been (unofficially) assured I'm going to be getting an oral with BG, but being that I'm 3 states away, I don't really know much about the community.

I'm hoping someone can help me find out about what the department's like, what the community is all about, anything and everything I can get. Personally, the Chief seems like a pretty cool guy, and all of the PO's I talked to seemd thrilled to be working there, but I've spent exactly 3 hours talking to these folks, so I'd like some other perspectives. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S. What's the I hear about a "group oral board?" Is this a common practice? How's that work? I've personally never heard of such a thing, and the tool shed I was talking to didn't go into it as much as I would've liked, so any info anyone can provide me on THAT would be appreciated, too!

Patchman
06-04-2011, 20:06
Know nothing about this place. Just wanted to wish you luck.

Man, it just seems that recently all the kids have suddenly grown up and are walking, or about to walk, on their own.

msu_grad_121
06-04-2011, 20:52
Thanks for the luck!

And "kids?" Really? Gettin all misty-eyed nostalgic on me? :rofl:

It seems like a pretty affluent place, and I know their pay scale is just obscene, so I'm kind of excited about having this iron in the fire. I'll keep everyone posted, but like I said, ANY info is better than the dearth of information I'm running into...

Thanks again!

OldCurlyWolf
06-05-2011, 07:45
Thanks for the luck!

And "kids?" Really? Gettin all misty-eyed nostalgic on me? :rofl:

It seems like a pretty affluent place, and I know their pay scale is just obscene, so I'm kind of excited about having this iron in the fire. I'll keep everyone posted, but like I said, ANY info is better than the dearth of information I'm running into...

Thanks again!

Just do not go over to the darkside and get brainwashed by the People's Democratic Republic of Illinois.

Their politics really create a vacuum.:steamed:

msu_grad_121
06-05-2011, 11:26
Just do not go over to the darkside and get brainwashed by the People's Democratic Republic of Illinois.

Their politics really create a vacuum.:steamed:

I can see what you're talking about. The aforementioned tool shed at the test decided to "educate" the old guy here about Chicagoland politics. What a bagga******.

I can't imagine the area being any more lib-tardish than the Metro Detroit area, but we'll see.

Gangrel
06-05-2011, 11:46
Group oral board sounds like a normal oral board... Several people interviewing you at once? Our PD does the "good cop, bad cop, indifferent cop" board style.

msu_grad_121
06-05-2011, 11:50
Group oral board sounds like a normal oral board... Several people interviewing you at once? Our PD does the "good cop, bad cop, indifferent cop" board style.

I thought that's what he meant too, but another tester was saying that they bring in 4-5 candidates, and they all get interviewed together by several people from the PD, which I've NEVER heard of. I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen in this case, too, since they're supposedly doing 50 people in only 2 days. I'm not nervous per se, but I'm pretty thrown by this little jewel, so I'm diggin HARD for information on this kind of thing.

Gangrel
06-05-2011, 13:58
Ohhh got it. I've heard of such things. Never been through one.

scottydl
06-05-2011, 18:02
Group oral board is just what you said... several candidates in the room at once with several interviewers. They'll go down the line and perhaps ask you all the same questions (with each of your getting the chance to answer first) or they may ask you all different questions, then randomly or systematically call on others to ask your/their opinion of the other candidates' response. It's a unique oral board style, not one I ever personally had... but heard about them as described. As with most interviews, it's probably not so much having the "right" answer - but more a tool to evaluate your ability to speak intelligently and under moderate pressure.

Being a lifetime Illinois resident and LEO, I would not want to work in Chicagoland. But that's just a "downstater" talking. ;) I live about 90 miles south of the city and never really care to go there unless I have to. Send me a PM if you're interested in any other areas of the state and I'll give you a suggestion. Buffalo Grove is a very nice suburb from what I hear, your pay is probably high but so is cost of living. Still a good opportunity I'm sure if you are interested in living up that way.

BL33D 4 M3
06-05-2011, 18:17
Buffalo Grove is a very nice community. It straddles the Lake/Cook county line. Its upscale for the most part. The department is squared away. I know a few guys from there and they are happy. They make good money, too.

anubisgodofgods
06-06-2011, 16:16
I was born and raised in McHenry County Il. The best thing that ever happened to me was in 1991, I MOVED. Now live in the south and working as a Deputy in the Atlanta metro area. I also have a friend with a shooting range in his back yard that we use all year long and many many guns stores and tactical equipment stores with lots of stuff to drool over in this area.

Over the years I have found a few high school friends that move here also and two of them are also in law enforcement.