AR help for a Cali guy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR help for a Cali guy

strakill
06-04-2011, 23:26
I've searched but I cant find any suggestions for us commiefornia guys.
I am in the market for an AR since stag arms made their Ca approved lowers that can be changed to a standard lower easily.
Is there any cal guys that can help me figure out the rules for the uppers? I am thinking of purchasing the stag model three upper to start with. I don't like the 2t model on their website because of the fixed front sight. I will be putting optics on it and would rather have a fold down front sight.
I will be asking alot of questions because I am a newb to the ar world but prices seem to have dropped so I am going to make a purchase soon. I would like to keep the budget around a grand.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

BryGuy
06-04-2011, 23:36
Give TDS Guns a call. They are located in Rocklin near Sacramento. California legal ARs are their specialty.
http://tdsguns.com/store/

They can answer all your questions and ship you anything you need.

MrMurphy
06-05-2011, 01:21
Best advice?

Move.

bel970
06-05-2011, 01:37
Best advice?

Move.

+100

the difference between a CA legal and non legal stripped lower is just the brand and model name not necessarily, the physical dimensions of the lower it's self.

the evil features are in the parts kit (mag release) stock/grip and upper.

a gas block with a rail instead of a sight is far less likely to have a bayonet lug (evil feature), however fixed is available without the lug.

if you run optics with magnification you wont see the front sight any way.

FatBoy
06-05-2011, 01:58
Have you tried on CalGuns?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

strakill
06-05-2011, 13:55
Have you tried on CalGuns?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

Yup. They are giving me some good advice.

jing1117
06-05-2011, 16:44
For a build that has a bullet button: you can have anything on your gun (flash hider, pistol grip, forward grip, adjustable stock).

For a featureless build (meaning you can use your standard magazine release) it cannot have the so called evil features:
NO FLASH HIDERS/SUPPRESSORS - Muzzle Brake OK and does not have to be pinned not unless you are running a 14.5" barrel.
NO FORWARD GRIP
NO PISTOL GRIP
NO ADJUSTABLE STOCK
NO THUMB HOLE STOCK
NO GRENADE OR FLARE LAUNCHER

On a featureless build you can use your legally acquired 30 round mags.

The barrel length must always be equal or greater than 16". On both builds you can put any sights and optics you want.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the bayonet lug is not included in the evil features.

Look at this link for the Legal CA AR.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.html

Hope this helps.

bel970
06-05-2011, 17:48
your right, bayonet lug wasn't CA. was part of the expired national ban

B.Reid
06-05-2011, 21:28
:wow:

lawman800
06-06-2011, 03:29
If you have no pistol grip and use the fugly monster man or whatever stock that makes it "featureless" then you can still have your bayonet lugs and whatever else because you cannot have a telescoping stock anyway. My suggestion? Move. I am as soon as I am able.

If you BB your rifle, then you can do whatever you since it does not fall under the AW laws in CA. Yet. CA DOJ has reserved commenting officially on the legality of the BB for now. Wait until some idiot does something with a BB AR and they will ban it too.

lawman800
06-06-2011, 03:31
If you want your eyes to bleed from the sheer pain of it all, google "California AR" and be prepared to weep tears of blood at the carnage they did to a perfectly good AR to make it not so dangerous to CA. Nevermind that it still can shoot 30 rounds of the same ammo as a fully factory configured AR.

ftw13
06-06-2011, 04:05
**** california. move to the united states

B.Reid
06-06-2011, 07:41
If you have no pistol grip and use the fugly monster man or whatever stock that makes it "featureless" then you can still have your bayonet lugs and whatever else because you cannot have a telescoping stock anyway. My suggestion? Move. I am as soon as I am able.

If you BB your rifle, then you can do whatever you since it does not fall under the AW laws in CA. Yet. CA DOJ has reserved commenting officially on the legality of the BB for now. Wait until some idiot does something with a BB AR and they will ban it too.

What is BB? As an ex CA guy I am interested in what goes on there. But I will never move back.

jing1117
06-06-2011, 08:26
What is BB? As an ex CA guy I am interested in what goes on there. But I will never move back.

BB = Bullet Button

lawman800
06-06-2011, 09:28
BB = Bullet Button

Bullet button is a cap of sorts that goes over your magazine eject button that prevents you from using your finger to eject the magazine. You have to use the tip of your bullet or similar item to push through an opening in the cap to eject the mag.

This supposedly satisfies the CA requirement that centerfire rifles with certain evil features such as a pistol grip to have a fixed magazine to avoid running afoul of our assault weapons laws. It also requires 10 round magazines to be used with BB'ed rifles. If you use any mag over 10 rounds in a BB'ed rifle, you are also in violation of AW laws. All felonies. Now you know why people want to get the flock out of CA?

lawman800
06-06-2011, 09:32
Oh here, since I want to share my pain, here are some featureless rifles that had the pistol grip converted to satisfy CA laws and these rifles are now okay to own and use with detachable 30 round magazines because they are not evil anymore. Insane!

http://lee.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/riflesfull.jpg

Drew Furst
06-06-2011, 21:43
Give TDS Guns a call. They are located in Rocklin near Sacramento. California legal ARs are their specialty.
http://tdsguns.com/store/

They can answer all your questions and ship you anything you need.

I'd second this recommendation. I've worked with them, and they are very knowledgeable. You could also talk to Gary at Bay Area Gun Vault. I don't know where you are in California, or I might have other suggestions.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The advantage of the bullet button is that you can convert a CA legal rifle into a "legal everywhere else" rifle simply by removing the bullet button when you leave the state.<o:p></o:p>