Need some input, please. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need some input, please.

CMG
06-05-2011, 09:09
OK, I’ve been thinking for a good long while, how I’d like to own a few higher-up 1911s.

While I’m still not ready to dive into the full-on customs from the Big names in that business, I have been thinking about the big three among semi-customs: Ed Brown; Wilson Combat; Les Baer.

I think I’m going to get one (full size 5” guns) from each, and to me the Kobra is the obvious choice from Ed Brown as it is uniquely Ed Brown, but with Wilson and Baer, the choice isn’t as clear to me. I wonder if there is a model that is as immediately recognized as coming from those shops. In looking at their many offerings online, I couldn’t really point to one and say: “Now, this is a Les Baer/Wilson”.

So, what do you guys think? Is there an obvious “signature” model from Wilson and Baer? Is it the Premier or the Concept line from Baer, or is it just a certain external configuration? Same question with Wilson, is it the CQB, the Professional or the Protector? (I’m not going to the Supergrade line, just too much ching for a semi-custom IMO.)

glock2740
06-05-2011, 09:14
IMO, the CQB would be the one for Wilson and the SRP for Baer. But, why get the "signature" model? For that kind of money, get what YOU like.

38 Super Fan
06-05-2011, 10:26
For me, when I hear Wilson, I think CQB. When I hear you want a gun that's "uniquely Baer", I think Monolith. But I agree with Joe, just get the models that you like best. :)

custom2
06-05-2011, 10:32
If I was going to buy one of each from the big 3 in semi customs it would be an Ed Brown Special Forces, a Wilson CQB and a Baer TRS in that order.

There is just something about Ed Brown guns that really do it for me.

CMG
06-05-2011, 10:34
For me, when I hear Wilson, I think CQB. When I hear you want a gun that's "uniquely Baer", I think Monolith. But I agree with Joe, just get the models that you like best. :)

Thanks guys, and ultimately, if I don't like it, I ain't buying it. :supergrin:

The Wilson X-Tac and Sentinel don't do it for me at all! :dunno:

Fedor
06-05-2011, 10:36
If I was going to buy one of each from the big 3 in semi customs it would be an Ed Brown Special Forces, a Wilson CQB and a Baer TRS in that order.

There is just something about Ed Brown guns that really do it for me.

I agree 100%