You and a leo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : You and a leo

SBG40
06-05-2011, 13:04
Well i had the question asked about what you are to do when you are stop by a leo for a traffic violation and you are carrying , i was told that you are to tell the leo " i am carrying a weapon " after he ask's you for your drivers licence, i told them that you do not have to tell the leo you are carrying unless he ask you, "do you have any weapons on you ? ", then and only then do you tell the leo if you are carrying, " yes i do have a weapon on me and i do have a carry permit for it ", then you hand him your permit, So can anyone verify the info. for me. :dunno:

Mas Ayoob
06-05-2011, 16:11
In a jurisdiction where it's required to ID yourself if you're carrying, do so. If it's a jurisdiction where that is not required BUT the carry permit list is interfaced with the department of motor vehicles, the officers will know you may be carrying before they begin the stop, and your not mentioning it may be seen as deception by omission; in that situation, as in the first, I would simply hand over the carry permit along with driver's license and automobile registration. If you're traveling interstate, and know your permit is recognized but don't know if you're required to announce, go on the assumption that it is required, and pass over the permit with the driver's license.

It was with that sort of generic situation in mind that I did the following tape a few years ago for Personal Defense TV, with the blessings of my police department. I am not certain that Arizona, mentioned in the tape, currently requires the permit holder to ID himself.

http://imomags.com/gunsandammo/2011/05/27/tips-when-stopped-by-police/

best,
Mas

SBG40
06-09-2011, 20:29
:wavey: Well thank you for your response to the question i had posted , but if my memory serves me right, here in the state of Indiana you are not requried to ID yourself until the officer ask you to do so , and having said that you are also not requied to tell a leo in a traffic stop that you are carring and have a permit to do so , but as with everything i look for the info. befor i open my mouth , this is something that i will be looking into further, i do have in my passion a book you may have heard of by a local attorney here ,Bryan Lee Ciyon " Indiana Firearms Law Refernce Manual " 3rd Edition, to which is a very good book to have , however i have not been able to find any reference to the question i have posted but will be asking about it on his web site / page, i want to thank you again for your time in posting an answer to my question .

Mas Ayoob
06-10-2011, 06:09
SBG, Brian Ciyou is a very sharp guy, and you'll be able to "take his advice to the bank." Tell him I said hi.

best,
Mas