3" .38 Spcl vs. 3.2" 9MM [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 3" .38 Spcl vs. 3.2" 9MM

Tommy Hanrahan
06-05-2011, 15:43
Hello Mas -

Lately I have been thinking of a lighter weapon for summer time concealed carry. My usual is an M&P compact. If your choices were the 9MM in a Walther PPS or a light weight snubby .38 Spcl. which would be better for self defense. This is for concealed carry only.
Thanks -
Reg

Mas Ayoob
06-05-2011, 16:15
Since the title of your post mentions a 3" revolver, I assume you're not looking at pocket carry, where the 2" revolver shines; its more rounded shape allows faster grasp and often, quicker draw.

For carry in or on the belt, spend some time at the range with both. One or the other will shoot distinctly better for you, and that's the one to choose. The Walther will have a slight firepower edge in-gun, of course, and will usually be distinctly faster to reload.

You're welcome to come back and tell us what your choice came down to, and why!

Best,
Mas

Tommy Hanrahan
06-11-2011, 23:41
OK, I am going with the Walther PPS and that creates another option. It is available in 9MM and .40 S&W.
Question is which caliber? I shoot both calibers well but wonder which one you would pick given today's ammunition.
Thanks for answering part one and thanks in advance for answering part deux.

Mas Ayoob
06-12-2011, 14:25
Personally, I'd be inclined toward the 9mm.
best,
mas

Tommy Hanrahan
06-12-2011, 16:29
Awesome. The 9 it is. One last question if I may; your choice of ammo for self defense out of the PPS 3.2" barrel?
Thanks so much for your guidance!
T.H.

Mas Ayoob
06-12-2011, 21:53
Same as with a longer gun, 127 grain +P+ Ranger T or 124 grain +P Speer Gold Dot.
best,
mas

Tommy Hanrahan
07-09-2011, 13:19
Update.

I went with the Taurus 740 Slim and have no regrets.
Thin, light, compact, and accurate. The adjustable sites are a huge bonus for me and I have it dialed right it at 10 yards.
800 rounds through it now and not a single burp of any kind. Digests FMJ and JHP. Holster availability is very good and I carry it in a Comp-Tac Minotaur that I already owned, just bought the shell for $38 + shipping.
And I only parted with 383 bucks, including the background check!
I have owned 6 other Taurus autoloaders and have not had problem one so I also have confidense in my EDC.
Thanks again Mas, your knowledge is a substantial bonus here at GT.