Intruders identifying as LE [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Intruders identifying as LE

dragonmalice
06-05-2011, 19:48
I've tried to plan out how to defend my home from an intruder, and my main plan is always defensive. I even set up a bar on the door to the back room in my basement to give me a place to retreat to if possible. I have a dog, and my alarm system has motion sensors. It's set up to call out the location of tripped sensors even while disarmed. I feel confident that I would have time to barricade myself in one room or another if someone broke into my house, assuming they don't come in quickly to the room I'm in. Guns are part of my defense plan, but I do have a duty to retreat in my state, so I consider them last resort.

One question I can't work up an answer for is what happens if an intruder identifies themselves as law enforcement (especially if they're out of sight)? It seems like something a criminal would be more than happy to do, yet I think my hands would be tied. I'm not going to pull the trigger at that point.

What would be reasonable here? Stay barricaded and inform them I've called 911 and am waiting for a sqaud car to arrive?

Mas Ayoob
06-05-2011, 20:19
Get on with 911 immediately, explain that there are people forcing their way into your home who are claiming that they are police. The dispatcher is one relay away from the police by radio, and this can prevent a mistaken identity shooting on either side.

Fact is, home invasions by criminals claiming to be police are relatively rare, and almost exclusively involve targets who are drug dealers.

Best,
Mas

dragonmalice
06-06-2011, 20:07
Good to know. Thanks!