Kimber Compact Stainless II [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Compact Stainless II

JEEPX
06-06-2011, 08:45
I am thinking about buying a Compact Stainless II. I like the 4" barrel, and the short butt.
Once proven reliable, it would be used for CCW.

Before spending my money, I would like your opinions on this pistol and on Kimber.

I appropriate any help.

HAIL CAESAR
06-06-2011, 08:56
It is a good gun. But go ahead and order the (correct ) Wolf spring for it now.

Hokie1911
06-06-2011, 08:56
I am thinking about buying a Compact Stainless II. I like the 4" barrel, and the short butt.
Once proven reliable, it would be used for CCW.

Before spending my money, I would like your opinions on this pistol and on Kimber.

I appropriate any help.

Therein lies the argument. You will get a lot of differing opinion about this regarding Kimber. Personally, I'd look elsewhere, but it's your dime. If you want a Kimber, go for it.

HAIL CAESAR
06-06-2011, 08:57
Therein lies the argument. You will get a lot of differing opinion about this regarding Kimber. Personally, I'd look elsewhere, but it's your dime. If you want a Kimber, go for it.

I might look at the STI Guardian or the DW CCO first........

Rimcrew
06-06-2011, 09:32
Not a Mimber Fan; take a look at the Baer Stinger.

Hokie1911
06-06-2011, 09:45
I might look at the STI Guardian or the DW CCO first........

Not a Mimber Fan; take a look at the Baer Stinger.

These are 2 wise individuals. STI Guardian would be my first choice. :thumbsup:

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Images/sti_guns/Guardian.jpg

JEEPX
06-06-2011, 10:09
My experience with Kimber, is a Seris 1 Royal. It has been flawless.

The consensus seems to be that the Kimber, is not worh it.

I have no experience with either of mentioned brands.

I do know that GT Distributors in Rossville carries STI. I have seen them but never handled or shot one.

The Les Baer I have no experience with either.

I have safe full of HK's, but only the one 1911.

My daughter is starting at UT Knoville this fall. Money is not tight, but I do not want spend 2k on a pisol.

Thanks for the replies

Hokie1911
06-06-2011, 10:12
Buy STI with confidence. Best bang-for-the-buck 1911s and excellent customer service if it is ever needed. The Guardian runs $1k.

Bravo on your choice of HKs btw. :thumbsup:

Cerebrus
06-06-2011, 10:28
Here is another around the 1K mark.. http://www.impactguns.com/dan-wesson-bobtail-co-cal-45-acp-anodized-alum-frame-stainless-slide-black-ceramic-coat-fixed-night.aspx

JEEPX
06-06-2011, 10:45
hokieshooterG23,

I will look seriously at STI. GT does carry them. I can stop by after work. I like that. By that I mean, I can actually put my hands on them and handle them.

Thank-you for your help.

glock2740
06-06-2011, 10:51
Well, I'll step up and give Kimber some love. I haven't had any issues with any of mine, and I have a several. The Compact makes for a great CC 1911. I haven't swapped any springs to make mine run, but I do recommend using either Wilson or Tripp Cobra mags. I also break my Kimbers in by running them REALLY wet, and racking the slide without a mag in the gun about 200 times before I ever even fire a round through it. Shoot about 250 rounds of factory 230gr FMJ, then run 50-100 rounds of whatever you plan on carrying in it and you should be good to go. If you want to start off with new springs, it can't hurt, but I never have. :wavey:

glock2740
06-06-2011, 10:56
hokieshooterG23,

I will look seriously at STI. GT does carry them. I can stop by after work. I like that. By that I mean, I can actually put my hands on them and handle them.

Thank-you for your help.
I see you're in Georgia, are you going to stop by Adventure Outdoors on Cobb in Atlanta? They have a ton of STI's in stock. I was working down there last summer and that place is loaded with guns, no pun intended, :cool:, with guns. They have most models made by STI, or at least they did. :)

JEEPX
06-06-2011, 11:21
I see you're in Georgia, are you going to stop by Adventure Outdoors on Cobb in Atlanta? They have a ton of STI's in stock. I was working down there last summer and that place is loaded with guns, no pun intended, :cool:, with guns. They have most models made by STI, or at least they did. :)

When I do get toward Atlanta, I will have to check this Adventure Outdoors out. :cool:

GT Distributors in Rossville, carries STI. They are right up the road, and only 15 minutes away

Hokie1911
06-06-2011, 11:49
hokieshooterG23,

Thank-you for your help.

No problem. I'm not bashing Kimber by any means. I had a Pro Carry 2 and had no problems at all with it. There are just better options IMHO.

cole
06-06-2011, 14:20
Kimber is a good gun most of the time, but priced too close to better guns. I have (current tense) a Compact Series 1 that's excellent. Had (past tense) a Series II 5" Target which was fine. But, I'll not buy another Series II. FYI: The current standard Compact has a aluminum frame, which is not for me.

Poorshot
06-06-2011, 14:45
GT Distributors in Rossville, carries STI. They are right up the road, and only 15 minutes away

I was in GT today and they had a few STI's and two Kimbers. A Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II with night sights and an Ultra Carry II with night sights. I am buying an Ultra Carry II/NS tomorrow from one of their customers. I have a Pro Carry II that I love and have never had a malfunction. It is my favorite 1911.

alwaysshootin
06-06-2011, 14:48
I wouldn't hesitate on purchasing a Kimber, the five I've owned have been everything you'd want from a 1911!:wavey:

CMG
06-06-2011, 15:23
The Compact/CCO arrangement just doesn't balance well for me, so I carry the 3" guns and get along great.

I have an older Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry that has been completely reliable.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/KUCrw.jpg