Which SA 1911 to buy? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which SA 1911 to buy?

kempeh
06-07-2011, 08:58
I'm looking to buy my first 1911 here soon. I can't figure out what the huge differences are between the SA loaded, mil-spec and the range officer? Which one is the best choice for a first 1911? It will be used as a range gun, home defense and I might start to carry it. I'm a lefty, but I'm not too concerned about having an ambidextrous safety.

Kyle7748
06-07-2011, 09:05
I bought the loaded over the mil spec and range officer. I liked the night sights, ambi saftey, and extended beavertail. The range officer has adjustable sights that i didn't want to get snagged on clothing if I had to use it in a SD situation.

Hokie1911
06-07-2011, 09:09
I'd go RO, switch out the rear to a Harrison fixed rear. Around $800ish. :thumbsup:

knedrgr
06-07-2011, 10:46
I'd go RO, switch out the rear to a Harrison fixed rear. Around $800ish. :thumbsup:

this is it!

CMG
06-07-2011, 11:54
I have a (NM) Loaded Target and the Range Officer, and I've found the RO to be better fit and more accurate in my hands.

Quack
06-07-2011, 12:56
:whistling:

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1178441666_7CRtc-L.jpg

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1178436339_xibVq-L.jpg

Tallahassee
06-07-2011, 16:19
That's a good problem to have, no matter which one you end up getting, you will be happy.

I'm an advocate of buying a GI style 1911 (the Mil Spec, in this case), shooting it for a while, and then deciding which features you'd like to change, if any. But really, I would say the most important decision in this case is fixed vs adjustable sights.

Hokie1911
06-07-2011, 16:27
:whistling:

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1178441666_7CRtc-L.jpg

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1178436339_xibVq-L.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

GJ1981
06-07-2011, 16:32
Biggest difference from the Loaded to RO is hype, IMO. I remember the stories comparing the RO to a TRP without the frills, :rofl:. The saving grace of the RO is it doesn't have a questionable 2-piece barrel.

For your quandary, keep it simple is the best advice. As mentioned, start with something basic and figure out what you want with time. I would NOT jump into the deep end with a high $$$ one, but I'm coming from a non kool-aid POV.

knedrgr
06-07-2011, 16:34
Biggest difference from the Loaded to RO is hype, IMO. I remember the stories comparing the RO to a TRP without the frills, :rofl:. The saving grace of the RO is it doesn't have a questionable 2-piece barrel.

For your quandary, keep it simple is the best advice. As mentioned, start with something basic and figure out what you want with time. I would NOT jump into the deep end with a high $$$ one, but I'm coming from a non kool-aid POV.

More from a Hater-aid POV. :whistling:

GJ1981
06-07-2011, 16:38
More from a Hater-aid POV. :whistling:

:shocked:

Sorry, I guess real experience from multiple examples doesn't matter or shouldn't be the basis for an honest suggestion.

Maybe I'll turn my SA's into safequeens, I know they fit that roll perfectly. Off to take some pics :wavey:.

bac1023
06-07-2011, 16:39
I'm looking to buy my first 1911 here soon. I can't figure out what the huge differences are between the SA loaded, mil-spec and the range officer? Which one is the best choice for a first 1911? It will be used as a range gun, home defense and I might start to carry it. I'm a lefty, but I'm not too concerned about having an ambidextrous safety.

Out of those, the RO for sure.

bac1023
06-07-2011, 16:40

The two ROs I handled seem a heck of a lot better fitted than any Loaded models I've seen.

I'm not a fan of the Loaded.

Hokie1911
06-07-2011, 16:43
The two ROs I handled seem a heck of a lot better fitted than any Loaded models I've seen.

Another hater. :rofl:

Sorry B, couldn't resist. :tongueout:

GJ1981
06-07-2011, 16:43

What areas?

Every low end SA I've handled felt too similar to tell, including the RO. I didn't feel any difference in barrel lock-up, bushing fit, or small parts. I might say the RO seemed to have a more consistent trigger, but all I felt had some creep. No different than the Loadeds, but my sample size was 3 RO's.

GJ1981
06-07-2011, 16:45

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ushI4e0NpjQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hokie1911
06-07-2011, 16:47
Gary, after what you've gone through, "hater" wouldn't be a strong enough word for me. I don't blame you one bit for your take on SACS.

GJ1981
06-07-2011, 16:54
Gary, after what you've gone through, "hater" wouldn't be a strong enough word for me. I don't blame you one bit for your take on SACS.

I have my days, though I was trying to tone it down I looked at my checkbook and it all came back to me. I dropped over $300 (shipping included) to get my Pro able to run without a FTF and have to find someone to work my CC over. I want to carry my CC but with the piss poor barrel fit I'm questioning when it's going to break a lug, or worse yet, trash the slide. Even with a new slide stop and tuning, I can't trust it. I want to keep it, I just have to find a smith to fix it. Unfortunately, the one I wanted can't handle the work since he has a class coming up to prep for (hint-hint).

I'm seriously thinking about sending my last CC straight to GB and not dealing with it...that is if they ever built it. Only closing in on 18 months. I'll stop the hate, for the most part, when it's FINALLY delivered AND works, should I decide to keep it.

bac1023
06-07-2011, 16:57

Sorry B, couldn't resist. :tongueout:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

polizei1
06-07-2011, 17:55
Send it to Harrison and be done with it!

G27RR
06-07-2011, 18:26

That's a terrible idea, who would do something like that? :whistling:

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/G27RR/SARO%20Dawson%20sight/IMG_2374.jpg

G27RR
06-07-2011, 18:28
Here's a couple links on my Range Officer review and a review of the Harrison.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1325217

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1328524

Hokie1911
06-07-2011, 18:31

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/G27RR/SARO%20Dawson%20sight/IMG_2374.jpg

That looks like poo. :tongueout:

That's exactly how I'd set up a RO btw. :rofl:

bac1023
06-07-2011, 18:45

Very nice :)

G27RR
06-07-2011, 18:58
Very nice :)

Thanks, I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I wound up liking this one.

knedrgr
06-07-2011, 20:54
:shocked:

Sorry, I guess real experience from multiple examples doesn't matter or shouldn't be the basis for an honest suggestion.

Maybe I'll turn my SA's into safequeens, I know they fit that roll perfectly. Off to take some pics :wavey:.

Gary,
You have every right to feel the way you do, especially the situations that are going on with your SACS guns. I would feel the same way, if I were in your shoes. Thus my comment for the hater-aid POV.

But the OP didn't ask about buying or having a gun build by SACS, he's asking about production SA guns.

And like others have already pointed out, and from my personal experience, the RO's were better fitted than Loaded. This can be taken with a grain of salt since all are done by hands and now actual caliper measurements. So perceptions and acceptance are all relative. Given those two models, which are similar in price with the RO being slightly lower.

Lower price + better fitment = winning.

kempeh
06-07-2011, 23:18
Should I be truly that worried about getting the ambidextrous safety? Couldn't I just flip that off with my finger before I draw or with my thumb? I'm not a big fan of the RO sights that come with the gun tbh.

GJ1981
06-08-2011, 03:50
Gary,

But the OP didn't ask about buying or having a gun build by SACS, he's asking about production SA guns.

And like others have already pointed out, and from my personal experience, the RO's were better fitted than Loaded. This can be taken with a grain of salt since all are done by hands and now actual caliper measurements. So perceptions and acceptance are all relative. Given those two models, which are similar in price with the RO being slightly lower.

Lower price + better fitment = winning.

My first post was directed toward the RO vs Loaded, not sure why I brought up anything else, must have been working in the heat too much.

I just feel the RO isn't that much different than a loaded. I was giving my opinion after looking a few over when they first came out. Maybe the few I looked over were exceptions rather than the normal. I still question when the fitting statement is used if it is meant toward aesthetics because I feel the important areas of the two are nearly identical.

knedrgr
06-08-2011, 04:18
Should I be truly that worried about getting the ambidextrous safety? Couldn't I just flip that off with my finger before I draw or with my thumb? I'm not a big fan of the RO sights that come with the gun tbh.

That's a question the only YOU can answer. It all comes down to your training and what you're used to. A debate about this topic is just useless, since what works for some may not work for others.

I don't like the rear sight of the RO either, but I would just change it out for a Harrison rear sight. Just like what G27RR did to his RO. But at the end of the day, it's your coin, so buy what you'll be happy with.

KillStick
06-08-2011, 06:46

Personally being right handed and using a high grip when I shoot I hate Ambi-safetys. I have a tendency of engaging the safety when I shoot. If your a lefty go for it.

knedrgr
06-08-2011, 07:08
Personally being right handed and using a high grip when I shoot I hate Ambi-safetys. I have a tendency of engaging the safety when I shoot. If your a lefty go for it.

The same thing can happen to lefty that has the ambi TS. It helps if you place your thumb on the thumb pad.

Bill Lumberg
06-08-2011, 07:14
All are good guns. The RO and Loaded are pretty similar, trading fcs for adjustable sights on the RO. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either for a starter gun. Would probably go with the loaded if you're going to carry it, the RO if it's for plinking/range use. The loaded and RO are similar, but the milspec isn't. Go to SA's website and you can see the features of each "trim level". I'm looking to buy my first 1911 here soon. I can't figure out what the huge differences are between the SA loaded, mil-spec and the range officer? Which one is the best choice for a first 1911? It will be used as a range gun, home defense and I might start to carry it. I'm a lefty, but I'm not too concerned about having an ambidextrous safety.

nolt
06-08-2011, 09:03
i guess my question for the "RO vs Loaded" argument is this:

for someone spending that much on a '1st 1911' does the (various experienced owners) perception of difference in fitting really make that much if any difference at all?

i certainly agree that if you can get a better fit gun for the same price or nearly the same price that its pretty reasonable to do that. i just wonder how much hand wringing is worth it at this price point. PARTICULARLY if you want fixed sights and are looking at the Harrison sight.

i suppose the one thing im overlooking is the rabid hatred of FCS here. which would gravitate a buyer from either a loaded OR TRP.

edit: i do also understand that not every mans dollar seems to have equal subjective value when its being spent on something like this.

ctfireman
06-08-2011, 11:26
Why bother needing to change out the rear sights on the RO so you can carry it? Just get the loaded.

TonyT
06-08-2011, 13:34
I hav had personnal expereince with two SA guns.

The Trophy Match in 45 ACP is super accurate and feeds 185 gr. LSWC's very reliably. I had to replace the innards as the stock factory parts had a ca 5+ lb trigger pull. I still have the gun and enjoy shooting it.

I also had a SA 1911 Target in 9mm. Very reliable but he best it would group is ca 4 inches at 50 ft after 2 tri[ps to the factory. I sold it and purchased a Dan Weson PM-9 which provides nice tight 1 inch groups at that distance.

hikerpaddler
06-09-2011, 03:47
This. Both are good guns. Decide whether you want adjustable sights or fcs. Move forward. Why bother needing to change out the rear sights on the RO so you can carry it? Just get the loaded.

tango44
06-11-2011, 14:04
I will go loaded!

Fedor
06-11-2011, 14:56

I think you would be impressed with the fit of my new MC Loaded Operator.
There is zero play.