National Anthem Banned at Mennonite College's Sporting Events [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem Banned at Mennonite College's Sporting Events

HerrGlock
06-08-2011, 05:25
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/07/national-anthem-banned-at-mennonite-colleges-sporting-events-sparking-outcry/
National Anthem Banned at Mennonite College's Sporting Events

stevelyn
06-08-2011, 05:37
Their school. Their rules.

The Machinist
06-08-2011, 05:38
They're a bunch of idiots with thin skin.

JohnBT
06-08-2011, 05:39
So? Is this a great country or what.

The Mennonites I know are about as peace-loving as the Amish.

I can just see them belting out a tune about the rocket's red glare, bombs bursting in air, etc. Not.

El_Ron1
06-08-2011, 05:41
compassionate peacemaking AKA: The losing strategy.

stevelyn
06-08-2011, 05:45
So? Is this a great country or what.

The Mennonites I know are about as peace-loving as the Amish.

I can just see them belting out a tune about the rocket's red glare, bombs bursting in air, etc. Not.

They're Amish-Lite. Mennonites broke away from the Amish because they didn't see the harm in using modern technology. Otherwise there's little difference.

LoadToadBoss
06-08-2011, 05:47
I'm surprised they ever sang the National Anthem. The Mennonites (followers of Anabaptist Menno Simons) have always been pacifistic separatist. They have always defined classic separation of church and state. Mennonites have historically shunned participation in secular civic activities. The Amish (followers of the teachings of Jacob Amman) broke away from them 450 years ago because they felt the Mennonites had compromised with worldliness too much.

Deployment Solu
06-08-2011, 05:57
compassionate peacemaking vs. violent thug........let me know how that works out for ya!!!!

RimfireMan
06-08-2011, 06:12
All the Mennonites I know are good people.

Trebuchet
06-08-2011, 07:16
I know where my kids are not going to school.

Snowman92D
06-08-2011, 07:19
I'm surprised they ever sang the National Anthem. The Mennonites (followers of Anabaptist Menno Simons) have always been pacifistic separatist. They have always defined classic separation of church and state. Mennonites have historically shunned participation in secular civic activities. The Amish (followers of the teachings of Jacob Amman) broke away from them 450 years ago because they felt the Mennonites had compromised with worldliness too much.

I always heard that every Amish woman's dream was to have two Mennonite. :whistling:

okie
06-08-2011, 07:23
I grew up a Mennonite. The folk I grew up around I have NO desire to be around ever again. They wasn't kool folk at all:alex::faint:

robertoh
06-08-2011, 07:23
My Grandson graduated this May from a Mennonite run College,and at the start of the ceremony everyone sang the National Anthem. The National Anthem is not a requirement for any and all public or political functions.

ChuteTheMall
06-08-2011, 08:21
Mennonites are Amish wimps who need air conditioning and station wagons.

Brucev
06-08-2011, 19:24
From experience, Mennonites are fine people. Of course there are exceptions. But from experience, they are fine folks. I do not agree with their not playing the National Anthem. And I do not endorse their particular understanding of pacifism. Compassionate peacemaking would be of limited practical utility for resolving international conflict. But then, armed response has only produced mixed results.

RichardB
06-09-2011, 07:23
"Professor Blosser disputed any notion the college is anti-American.

This is not an anti-patriotic thing, he said. It does not make us communist just because we take a stand against that particular point of view. As an educated person, I dont always stand where the government takes a stand."

Their church, their rules is the American way.